Oculus Quest 2 is now available

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
Article is wrong afaik

The link cable is not included for $299. And costs a lot of $$$

Also its $399 on amazon for the base unit

Carnajo

The base unit is $299.
Article also didn't say the link cable is included (unless it was edited). It says " is compatible with a number of accessories, including the following: " which perhaps badly worded would imply that those accesories work with it, not that they are included in the box.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Why is this getting airtime when South Africans cant buy it through linked Oculus store?

eg2505

Honorary Master
Article is wrong afaik

for people to discover that fact later on and pay for the "optional extras, that aren't included"
wonder if there is that guy who reads that little provisio really fast you barely hear it.

HideInLight

Expert Member
Article is wrong afaik

Oculus Quest 2 64 Gig is $299
Oculus Quest 2 256Gig is $399

The charging cable included might work, not sure but it is way to short.
There are much cheaper 3rd party alternatives that work just as well. My cable combo comes in at $30.

Ivoler 3m + Cable creations active usb3 5m cable. I ahve 8m link cable basically.

HideInLight

Expert Member
Very important, there is some kind of bug at Amazon atm. Try adding just the headset to the cart, then adding the $50 elite strap or any cable with it.

The Quest alone costs R8000
The Quest with elite strap R7900

You pay less import fees when you add another item with it?

bumbledore

I bought the 256GB edition and head strap from Amazon and altogether, shipping and duties, it came to $579.42

Item(s) Subtotal:
$448.00 (399 + 49)
Shipping & Handling:
$49.04

Total before tax:
$497.04
Estimated tax to be collected:
$0.00
Import Fees Deposit
$82.38

Grand Total:

$579.42

It still has to ship but their global shipping programme is super-efficient and their quoted figures usually spot-on.

Last edited:

bumbledore

Very important, there is some kind of bug at Amazon atm. Try adding just the headset to the cart, then adding the $50 elite strap or any cable with it.

The Quest alone costs R8000
The Quest with elite strap R7900

You pay less import fees when you add another item with it?

This is precisely what happened to me. I couldn't figure it out myself, but I made use of it anyways. Might be in for more when it gets to RSA customs. Will update if that's the case.

I do know that if it is declared under 8528.49 in the SARS excise book "85.28 Monitors and projectors, not incorporating television reception apparatus; reception apparatus for television, whether or not incorporating radio-broadcast receivers or sound or video recording or reproducing apparatus:" it will attract a 25% import duty. Steep.

If it's declared under 9504.50 "9504.50 - Video games consoles and machines (excluding those of subheading 9504.30):" then there is no import duty, you just have to pay the 15% VAT (and can claim it back) on SARS valuation of the item (which is cost of item + shipping + 10%).

I'll try to keep this updated for those that care to know.

Desig

This is precisely what happened to me. I couldn't figure it out myself, but I made use of it anyways. Might be in for more when it gets to RSA customs. Will update if that's the case.

I do know that if it is declared under 8528.49 in the SARS excise book "85.28 Monitors and projectors, not incorporating television reception apparatus; reception apparatus for television, whether or not incorporating radio-broadcast receivers or sound or video recording or reproducing apparatus:" it will attract a 25% import duty. Steep.

If it's declared under 9504.50 "9504.50 - Video games consoles and machines (excluding those of subheading 9504.30):" then there is no import duty, you just have to pay the 15% VAT (and can claim it back) on SARS valuation of the item (which is cost of item + shipping + 10%).

I'll try to keep this updated for those that care to know.
I care to know, thank you!

Desig

Oculus Quest 2 64 Gig is $299
Oculus Quest 2 256Gig is $399

The charging cable included might work, not sure but it is way to short.
There are much cheaper 3rd party alternatives that work just as well. My cable combo comes in at $30.

Ivoler 3m + Cable creations active usb3 5m cable. I ahve 8m link cable basically.
Oculus quest 2 64GB is $553 today on Amazon

Supes

I bought the 256GB edition and head strap from Amazon and altogether, shipping and duties, it came to $579.42

Item(s) Subtotal:
$448.00 (399 + 49)
Shipping & Handling:
$49.04

Total before tax:
$497.04
Estimated tax to be collected:
$0.00
Import Fees Deposit
$82.38

Grand Total:

$579.42

It still has to ship but their global shipping programme is super-efficient and their quoted figures usually spot-on.

I have to agree on their shipping, my 64GB version arrived about an hour ago.

Desig

I have to agree on their shipping, my 64GB version arrived about an hour ago.
Oooh please send review and what good free apps and games come with it and how it feels on your head and how you want yo lend it to me for a week cos you're a good person

Supes

Oooh please send review and what good free apps and games come with it and how it feels on your head and how you want yo lend it to me for a week cos you're a good person

Hahaha, who said I was a good person? :p
Happy to answer any questions when I get the time though, stupid busy week. Probably only get skme good playtime on Sunday

animal531

Expert Member
Just remember that soon you'll need an Assbook account to go with it. There's also been some cases where people make accounts, and then Facebook randomly bans them, turning their new Quest into an expensive paper-weight.

bumbledore

Just remember that soon you'll need an Assbook account to go with it. There's also been some cases where people make accounts, and then Facebook randomly bans them, turning their new Quest into an expensive paper-weight.

Not sure why FB would randomly ban a person and reduce the likelihood of them spending money to zero.

You'd have a steam account to play steam games. A PSN account for PS games. An XBL account for XB games. A Nintendo account for Switch games. And so on, and so on.

I don't have a FB but have absolutely no problem with setting up an account purely for that reason. As long as they don't stop me using SideQuest and Virtual Desktop...