odd Dealership oil recommendation

Draconia2

Expert Member
So for shits and giggles I asked the dealer to send me a quote on a oil change for my coke blikkie (red datsun go) and they recommended Castrol Vecton 10w40 long drain ? if I understand this right, you do not have to change oils frequently. On the spec sheet even Castrol states : CAUTION: Castrol Vecton Long Drain 10W-40 LS must not be used in Detroit Diesel 2-stroke engines, or petrol engines.

On the quote they charge R119 per litre, with the bill coming to a whopping R2400 ......I hope it includes a massage.. jeez...... Why would they quote me on oil thats not supposed to be used on petrol engines ?

Since its the same engine as a Micra k13 ( HR12DE ) I will be going with shell 10w40 at my approved workshop that includes a wash inside and out for less than half of that quoted dealer quoted 2400.

I do the Hilux myself but coke blik needs the stamps in the manual. The oil changes are more frequent due to harsh condition driving.

ubercal

Expert Member
So for shits and giggles I asked the dealer to send me a quote on a oil change for my coke blikkie (red datsun go) and they recommended Castrol Vecton 10w40 long drain ? if I understand this right, you do not have to change oils frequently. On the spec sheet even Castrol states : CAUTION: Castrol Vecton Long Drain 10W-40 LS must not be used in Detroit Diesel 2-stroke engines, or petrol engines.

On the quote they charge R119 per litre, with the bill coming to a whopping R2400 ......I hope it includes a massage.. jeez...... Why would they quote me on oil thats not supposed to be used on petrol engines ?

Since its the same engine as a Micra k13 ( HR12DE ) I will be going with shell 10w40 at my approved workshop that includes a wash inside and out for less than half of that quoted dealer quoted 2400.

I do the Hilux myself but coke blik needs the stamps in the manual. The oil changes are more frequent due to harsh condition driving.

R119 per liter is not expensive.For example i use liqui moly 10w60 and its nearly R900 for a 5L , and thats for goldwagen or online from a normal retailer.

splattie

I suspect they are referring specifically to two stroke engines, diesel and petrol variants.

Edit: seems to be specifically formulated for diesel engines:

Description Castrol Vecton Long Drain 10W-40 LS is a full synthetic low SAPS engine oil. It is formulated with unique System 5 TechnologyTM for extended drain in the latest European diesel engines with modern low emission systems (including DPFs), in accordance with OEM specifications.

Neuk_

Executive Member
R2400 for an oil change? Just an oil change?

Aghori

Honorary Master
R2400 for an oil change? Just an oil change?

R540 at Takealot for a good oil.

Filter is ~R150 for OEM part at most workshops/spares shops. Labour is R150-R200 max or you can do it yourself since it's the easiest thing to service.

Total $$$ - Should be nothing more than R900.

Neuk_

Executive Member
R540 at Takealot for a good oil.

Filter is ~R150 for OEM part at most workshops/spares shops. Labour is R150-R200 max or you can do it yourself since it's the easiest thing to service.

Total $$$ - Should be nothing more than R900.

I won't touch Castrol but yes, R2400 for new oil, oil filter, sump plug and washer if needed is ridiculous even at dealership pricing.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
I won't touch Castrol but yes, R2400 for new oil, oil filter, sump plug and washer if needed is ridiculous even at dealership pricing.
What happened to the days when your pal's older brother would pull in one afternoon and charge you s sixpack to do plugs oil and filters? I learned to do these things along with clutch adjustment on several old Golf Mk1s and a few 90s XR3 Escourts. Fond memories of being the 'laaitie' and not fully following all of the crass conversations. :ROFL:

Neuk_

Executive Member
What happened to the days when your pal's older brother would pull in one afternoon and charge you s sixpack to do plugs oil and filters? I learned to do these things along with clutch adjustment on several old Golf Mk1s and a few 90s XR3 Escourts. Fond memories of being the 'laaitie' and not fully following all of the crass conversations. :ROFL:

These days, the issue is warranties, maintenance plans, service plans and this fascination with stamps in service books for FSH :unsure: I do just about everything in my MkI Golf with a little help from friends and a good friend who started his own business last year from home after being retrenched looks after my Touareg and my fiance's Q3 although I could do the basics at home.

Groggyme

These days, the issue is warranties, maintenance plans, service plans and this fascination with stamps in service books for FSH :unsure: I do just about everything in my MkI Golf with a little help from friends and a good friend who started his own business last year from home after being retrenched looks after my Touareg and my fiance's Q3 although I could do the basics at home.
Do everything yourself and find a small/backyard mechanic with a stamp and pay him a few bucks for the stamp in your book.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I think I paid around R500 last time for oil but we use a pure synthetic

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
Yea, I hear you. I have also found that the requirement for special tools can become very frustrating. Sure, you can fashion a tool here and there if needed but sometimes it's not viable and that can leave you stuck with the damned car on jackstands for a week.

Neuk_

Executive Member
Do everything yourself and find a small/backyard mechanic with a stamp and pay him a few bucks for the stamp in your book.

Why bother? I can produce all receipts for the servicing I do myself, stamps in books don't make impact in my opinion, especially when you hear of some of stunts that 'proper' dealerships pull.