Off-topic: how much does an electric fence cost? Dos and Don'ts

werewolf2

Hi All

I know this is off-topic but here goes...We're in Joburg by the way

My wife and I finally found a house we like but...it doesn't have an electric fence. It also has two visible gates which are accessible from the road (with razor wire on top). The neighborhood is good and the house is in a boomed area.

That said, I still want an electric fence or another solution. Any advice on how much to budget? Any dos or dont's?

Thanks in advance

D3x!

Banned
Installers normally charge per meter

Or you can buy the equipment yourself and get an installer.

Which area and I can give you a contact

Kornhole

Blackburn Fan
Hi All

I know this is off-topic but here goes...We're in Joburg by the way

My wife and I finally found a house we like but...it doesn't have an electric fence. It also has two visible gates which are accessible from the road (with razor wire on top). The neighborhood is good and the house is in a boomed area.

That said, I still want an electric fence or another solution. Any advice on how much to budget? Any dos or dont's?

Thanks in advance
If you live in Jozi,I can find you a number for an excellent guy,but yeah they charge my meters.

Milano

Honorary Master
Saw one of the bigger security companies running an advert for something like R6k for 65m fully installed or thereabouts.

D3x!

Banned
Op how long is perimeter and what type of wall?

Also you say 2 gates? Sliding?

And distance from garage to nearest wall?

Just rough estimates is ok for now

werewolf2

My guess is 1600sqm.

Gates are the swing type with locks in the middle

distance from the garage maybe 10m or less

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
In the motoring subforum. :wtf:

Anyway also ask your insurance co about this...they might lower your premiums.

DanH

Expert Member
Are these really effective? I remember touching them as a kid and they just gave a pinch. Holding hands to make a human chain, touching an unsuspecting victim on the one end and then the guy on the end touches the fence. Was all fun and games until it was raining, then it was strong enough to leave lines on fingers and give a good jolt.

Can/should they give a stun gun like jolt with the right controller?

Messugga

Honorary Master
My company does security installations, though on a grander scale than what you would find at a home. The electric fences we install can trigger alarms via a digital output, should they fire. It's a fairly nice energiser. Anyway, a worker got nailed by one on Thursday, and from his expression it most certainly wasn't just a pinch.

rorz0r

Executive Member
Most electric fences can't shock you cos they need to be grounded every few meters. The guy who gave me a quote on mine went down my street touching most of them to prove they don't work.

Jamal

Voluntarily Retired
As far as I know the biggest cost is the energiser unit. The actual fence costs much less.

The man who installed our fence told us that one of their workers once accidentally touched a live fence with his forehead when leaning over. His jaws shut closed with such force that he chipped some of his teeth and needed dental work to fix it.

I think they are a deterrent since even though they are not completely effective, if I were a burglar I would rather go to the house which doesn't have a fence than the house which does have a fence.

Fences not only keep intruders out, they also keep intruders in. Burglars want an easy escape route should their burglary go wrong and an electric fence makes that more difficult. This is another deterrent to potential burglars.

DanH, if all you felt was a slight pinch then probably the fence wasn't working properly. These fences are strong enough to kill birds (sadly I have seen dead birds lying next to wall) and to paralyse cats' ears for periods of several weeks.

DanH

Expert Member
That's why the one we played with as kids was useless except when we were barefoot and it was raining.

I'd say a metal grounding plate on top of the wall right around and the electric fence on top. That would force climbers to be grounded properly. Not really practical though.

DanH

Expert Member
DanH, if all you felt was a slight pinch then probably the fence wasn't working properly. These fences are strong enough to kill birds (sadly I have seen dead birds lying next to wall) and to paralyse cats' ears for periods of several weeks.
The one we played with turned from a pinch into stun gun like power when it rained and we were barefeet. Left lines on our fingers and almost knocked us off our feet. We never went near it after that.

If yours is like that all the time then you got the good stuff. I fear most of them are just a psychological deterrent with no real man stopping ability.

D3x!

Banned
The one we played with turned from a pinch into stun gun like power when it rained and we were barefeet. Left lines on our fingers and almost knocked us off our feet. We never went near it after that.

If yours is like that all the time then you got the good stuff. I fear most of them are just a psychological deterrent with no real man stopping ability.
Come touch mine :twisted:

And fork forgot about thread

Dolby

Honorary Master
I just got 3 quotes for a 277sqm cluster ... Between 5.5k and 6.5k.

If you go the flat route, its more expensive too.

biometrics

Honorary Master
My fence sent a worker at the neighbours to hospital (couldn't speak or walk for an hour). I accidentally touched it with my head while weedeating, I passed out. After half an hour of recovery I still felt weird and took myself to Mediclinic - tests showed I am fine.