Off-topic: how much does an electric fence cost? Dos and Don'ts

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
@DanH: Every second wire is ground on the proper ones. So touching the live one is fine if you're grounded. Try climbing over it though & you're very likely to contact either the earth or a ground wire. Then it will hit you.

DanH, if all you felt was a slight pinch then probably the fence wasn't working properly.
I've touched the ones the use to keep rhinos & other wildlife at bay. Also just a slight sting. That was with heavy boots though.

Another thing that people don't realize is that timing is crucial. These fences are usually pulsed. If you make contact during Off & then keep it there until On its significantly less painful than if you touch it while on. The key is the surface area in contact...you don't want it arcing to one small spot.

DigitalSoldier

Honorary Master
Sorry for the thread necro...

We recently bought a new house and we are looking at getting an electric fence.

Will this really be effective or is it just an eye-blind ? How easy will it be for a burglar using gloves to get into the property ?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Sorry for the thread necro...

We recently bought a new house and we are looking at getting an electric fence.

Will this really be effective or is it just an eye-blind ? How easy will it be for a burglar using gloves to get into the property ?
Make the fence high enough so that they can't climb over it without causing two of the wires to touch each other, or cutting the wires. For me the shock is less of a deterrent than the fact that cutting or shorting the fence will set off the alarm which notifies ADT...

F1 Fan

Expert Member
You looking at around 2.5k for the energiser unit and around 60 per metre for the fencing....

kiepie

Executive Member
I got quotes today. I need about 300m of free standing electrical fence, about 1.9m high. Both guys quoted me between 16-22 strands, both without an energizer. One came to R 49 500 and the other to R 18 000.

This makes me think of quality and how difficult it is to compare quotes.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I got quotes today. I need about 300m of free standing electrical fence, about 1.9m high. Both guys quoted me between 16-22 strands, both without an energizer. One came to R 49 500 and the other to R 18 000.

Both aluminum wire? The 18000 sounds way low. Distance between poles? Do they include serial loops or whatever they're called? Wired in series as well?

ElementZero

Hi All

I know this is off-topic but here goes...We're in Joburg by the way

My wife and I finally found a house we like but...it doesn't have an electric fence. It also has two visible gates which are accessible from the road (with razor wire on top). The neighborhood is good and the house is in a boomed area.

That said, I still want an electric fence or another solution. Any advice on how much to budget? Any dos or dont's?

Thanks in advance
I would suggest going with a reputable company due to some new laws regarding electric fencing in Gauteng. i used a company a year ago www.electerrific.co.za, they installed just over 170meters of electric fencing (land is 1500sq) , they advised me to go with 8 strands in the front and 6 around the rest of the house. Total cost was R12500.

RaymondB

I have just had a 12 strand fence (1.2m) on top of my walls with energizer installed by http://www.gido.co.za/ which came in at R19,000. They were very professional, gave the best guarantee and the workmanship was great. Thy detailed exactly what materials would be used and arrived at 07h15 on both days.

I would certainly recommend them - just familiarise yourself with terms and conditions re costs involved if you change date for installation (from my experience most companies have a clause like that)

I was not impressed with electeriffic's attitude even though he was cheaper. He wanted to provide what he decided, not what I requested)

Hosehead

Executive Member
I saw some kind of creepy crawlie frying on the neighbours fence -it was like looking at a sparkler fizzing away for about half an hour.
I touched another neighbours one by mistake- the big brand name one- with a metal ladder...and it was a big body jolt -kinda like a Thwack on the head with a 2x4 and leaning on the sore side -but it definitely wouldn't stop me clambering over it. I 'd not waste my money on such schit.
I'd buy claymore mines full of tasers (wall mounted in banks of 18) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQanY8SxCfE and Claymore M5 rubber balls http://tinyurl.com/bssdzwl to embed in the walls at strategic points like gates and front doors. But luckily for me I don't need to get all paranoid. I just get dogs trained to not eat poison.

Last edited:

eehellfire

Honorary Master
Anyone installed an electric fence recently that could give an idea on price?

signates

Executive Member
I paid about R13k for 6 stands over 130m plot is 1000m2 with electric fence on all four sides

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Big bump. Anyone do this recently..?
I'd budget R15 000 to R20 000 for the normal average yard all round.

Best to get quotes. I used www.gido.co.za personally. Good workmanship, but not the cheapest, but an effective perimeter alarm is what you want.

Recommended minimum is 8 strand with square tubing.

Last edited:

biometrics

Honorary Master
Big bump. Anyone do this recently..?
Location? In Cape Town the best deal I have found is from Voltage SA, used them several times.

As per supersunbird, use square tubing or else they can be bent over. If you have cats get a combo type for pets + security, in my case three close strands are the bottom and four spread out at the top.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Thanks guys. Bio how does the one for pets work? (yes we have cats but they have been indoor pets since we adopted them).