Off-topic: how much does an electric fence cost? Dos and Don'ts

biometrics

Honorary Master
Thanks guys. Bio how does the one for pets work? (yes we have cats but they have been indoor pets since we adopted them).
No difference, still a normal fence. It's just that the bottom strands are nearer each other so a cat won't try to squeeze through. In any case cats sense it (by smell I've heard) and avoid it, worst case they'll touch it once, never again.

You do get a pet fence though, which is only meant for pets, not security. So I've never bothered with that. It's lower voltage iirc.

jsheed_sa

Executive Member
Bump - anyone had this done recently?

Any good suggestions for CPT + an idea of cost?

Krayfish

Question - by about how much did your electricity bill increase? Anything remarkable? Let's take 500 square as example.

My tenant wants me to install an alarm system in their house, and from my perspective, I think an electric fence may be not just cheaper, but safer. I really don't want beams in the yard, rather just keep the bogies completely outside.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Question - by about how much did your electricity bill increase? Anything remarkable? Let's take 500 square as example.

My tenant wants me to install an alarm system in their house, and from my perspective, I think an electric fence may be not just cheaper, but safer. I really don't want beams in the yard, rather just keep the bogies completely outside.
The consumption of the fence is negligible. Somewhere around 18 watts.
You should do both fence and beams. Layered approach is safest.

Nithan15

Expert Member
My fence sent a worker at the neighbours to hospital (couldn't speak or walk for an hour). I accidentally touched it with my head while weedeating, I passed out. After half an hour of recovery I still felt weird and took myself to Mediclinic - tests showed I am fine.
Did you have your phone in your pocket and did it fast charge?

millennia

Put the alarm with beams in. Electric fences are easy to short out and jump over...

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
My fence sent a worker at the neighbours to hospital (couldn't speak or walk for an hour).
Shamming.

My energisers give out 12 joules*. I have often got shocked climbing under the fence and have it touch my back while my hand acts as an excellent earth. It is bloody sore and it has flattened me. Joint pain for a few minutes. But these fences are designed to discourage you from touching them. They are not tasers.

* 10 joules is considered hazardous (ideal as a deterrent) and 50 is lethal.

Last edited:

Krayfish

The consumption of the fence is negligible. Somewhere around 18 watts.
That's really nothing. Nice, thank you! I always wondered about that.

You should do both fence and beams. Layered approach is safest.
No of course. Small steps though, we'll maybe move to this house somewhere in future, but right now I am not really worried about giving them the full protection. Sounds hard, but they decided to rent the house as is, they cannot now simply demand changes, and trust me if I up the monthly rent they will be the first to complain.

Smokey mcpot

A lot of my clients go through the same. Tenants demand things but complain if there’s an increase

Krayfish

A lot of my clients go through the same. Tenants demand things but complain if there’s an increase
And SARS has now defined exactly what is repairs, and what is capital growth. So if you thought of adding electric fences or an alarm system or pave the driveway, it is not tax-deductable. If you repaired the fence then sure.