Office 365 and working from home

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
Because working from home is the current trend, due to the virus, I thought I would share some articles and information that I have come across that may make things easier. Please feel free to do the same.

I must point out that I am not an expert and just sharing information I find. Those that are, please let me know if I share anything useless or incorrect.

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
Microsoft Teams and Hosted Exchange, ie. Office365 E3 licenses is all you need.
Not everyone uses Teams currently and many people are using VPN to connect to company data. I have heard stories of people refusing Teams and insisting on Skype for Business.

swakop_toe

Teams is the future. Microsoft is killing off Skype and make Teams the norm. Teams also has better voice and video quality.
Indeed.
Issue O365E3 licenses to everyone.
Click-click easy for each user to migrate with videos, etc.
For company data, issue a OneDrive license for the file servers, sync al the folders "up" with OneDrive. OneDrive and SharePoint is "the same storage space".

All of Teams comms is stored in SharePoint.
Chats, files, video and tele cons, the works.

It is the game changer home office enablers.

After above is done, no need for VPN connections to the co. onsite servers.

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
Teams is the future. Microsoft is killing off Skype and make Teams the norm. Teams also has better voice and video quality.
Exactly - but some people are resistant to change. That is why there is such a thing as Change Management.

But these are unique times - most people will adjust faster.

Dames

Hi everyone - does anyone else who uses Teams sometimes encounter a problem where your status gets stuck? My colleague and I were on a call yesterday, and both of our statuses now seem to be stuck on "In a call". We have tried everything, logged out and back in, changed statuses on PC, phone, Web app, phoned each other and put down the call again, but it always reverts back to "In a call"... Any ideas on how to fix this? Google didn't really have any advice.

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
Hi everyone - does anyone else who uses Teams sometimes encounter a problem where your status gets stuck? My colleague and I were on a call yesterday, and both of our statuses now seem to be stuck on "In a call". We have tried everything, logged out and back in, changed statuses on PC, phone, Web app, phoned each other and put down the call again, but it always reverts back to "In a call"... Any ideas on how to fix this? Google didn't really have any advice.
Mine is letting me change just fine. That is very strange.

What do you have on your calendar and how have you selected your Show As for that appointment or meeting? That will change if you have items on your calendar. Take Show As off Busy and put it on Free - that may help.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Teams is a serious PITA when you work with clients on their own domains. Log out and log in again to access their system. Had four clients like this who all insisted on using teams. I have to run multiple instances in different browsers to get close to getting it all in one place LOL.
PITA. Discord ftw.

Dames

Thanks for the input above - it seems to have somehow miraculously fixed itself this afternoon! I agree @Daruk Teams definitely has it's moments...

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
Thanks for the input above - it seems to have somehow miraculously fixed itself this afternoon! I agree @Daruk Teams definitely has it's moments...
Until you have something else on your calendar. You can change that setting so that it will always be manual - but then you have to change it when making calls.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Teams is a serious PITA when you work with clients on their own domains. Log out and log in again to access their system. Had four clients like this who all insisted on using teams. I have to run multiple instances in different browsers to get close to getting it all in one place LOL.
PITA. Discord ftw.
Do they provide you with a separate Teams login each on their respective tenant/domain?

If you have your own personal or business Teams account, they should all be able to invite you as a guest/external user unless their admin blocks some of the external sharing features. They also recently added functionality to call Consumer Skype users from Teams.

Apologies if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick but you shouldn't need to log in and out to interact with external users.