Office 365 price increase coming in May

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Going up by R200 PA?
Wow does microsoft get pricing advice from naspers?
That is not a small increase.

grim

Expert Member
Going up by R200 PA?

Perhaps to do with VAT being charged on electronic services?

No, Rand/Dollar exchange rate can be blamed for this.

$1 = ~R9 a year ago, currently it's at ~R10.60

R200/year works out to R16.67/m so it's by no means a big increase.

Office 365 Home subscription is $9.99/m or $99.99/year so they are still charging less here than the dollar equivalent of the product.

Arthur

Honorary Master
It's probably an adjustment for currency, not a price increase from Microsoft. It's the lousy ever-sinking Rand that's to blame, I suspect. So speak to your MP, not MS.

StevenC

Expert Member
It's probably an adjustment for currency, not a price increase from Microsoft. It's the lousy ever-sinking Rand that's to blame, I suspect. So speak to your MP, not MS.

Working in IT Retail, I very tentatively sell Office 365, for this very reason.
I warn clients of this potential pitfall of an annual license.
The only thing I have issue with is that MS still dictates the price, having only adjusted it now. So yeah, they lost a little in the last couple of months because the price is not a live reflection of the exchange rate. But now that it is up, I wonder how long it will take to come down once the exchange rate starts going our way again (if ever).

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
No, Rand/Dollar exchange rate can be blamed for this.

$1 = ~R9 a year ago, currently it's at ~R10.60

R200/year works out to R16.67/m so it's by no means a big increase.

Office 365 Home subscription is $9.99/m or $99.99/year so they are still charging less here than the dollar equivalent of the product.

This.

K

kingrob

Going up by R200 PA?

LOL.....now why must poor Naspers be dragged into this?

They are just trying to make an honest buck? :D

entrepr

Expert Member
Heck, they only just announced the personal edition and pricing

Increases should be force-capped at CPI or below regardless of the ZAR/$. If Microsoft wants to play locally they should align with local convention. Consumers need to know what they are paying so they can plan accordingly

grim

Expert Member
Working in IT Retail, I very tentatively sell Office 365, for this very reason.
I warn clients of this potential pitfall of an annual license.
The only thing I have issue with is that MS still dictates the price, having only adjusted it now. So yeah, they lost a little in the last couple of months because the price is not a live reflection of the exchange rate. But now that it is up, I wonder how long it will take to come down once the exchange rate starts going our way again (if ever).

They review the pricing annually and will adjust it accordingly.

Heck, they only just announced the personal edition and pricing

Increases should be force-capped at CPI or below regardless of the ZAR/$. If Microsoft wants to play locally they should align with local convention. Consumers need to know what they are paying so they can plan accordingly

Why? You are paying an overseas company for the service, not a local company. The invoice you receive will be from MS Ireland

Arthur

Honorary Master
Increases should be force-capped at CPI or below regardless of the ZAR/$.
Yup. Just what the computer industry needs - a bit more government thuggery. But why stop there? Why not force all foreigners to charge less in SA? Just because we have an ever-sinking currency shouldn't stop us from forcing them to accept weaker and smaller Rands. Can't you please suggest to the government that they do the same with computer hardware, cars, oil prices and gold. That'll really get us going and do the SA consumer a great service, eh.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Yup. Just what the computer industry needs - a bit more government thuggery. But why stop there? Why not force all foreigners to charge less in SA? Just because we have an ever-sinking currency shouldn't stop us from forcing them to accept weaker and smaller Rands. Can't you please suggest to the government that they do the same with computer hardware, cars, oil prices and gold. That'll really get us going and do the SA consumer a great service, eh.

Am I the only person who read the eh on the end in a Canadian accent?
:D

elvis_presley

Expert Member

Increased Office 365 prices... proudly brought to you by the ANC.

R13...

Honorary Master

So my friendly neighbourhood MP has powers to influence the exchange rate? Lovely. Where do I procure the services of one of these fortune telling MPs?

Arthur

Honorary Master
So my friendly neighbourhood MP has powers to influence the exchange rate? Lovely. Where do I procure the services of one of these fortune telling MPs?
Your MP is part of a system that is called government, which sets macroeconomic policy, which has its hands on the only levers that can change economic policy, which works into exchange rates. Et cetera. The change we need is in the hands of the politicians.

The only other way is to overthrow the current hegemons and refashion a new political economy. It will in any case come to that when there are no more taxpayers to bleed. That is the path we are on.