• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Official : Diablo 3 » Reaper of Souls - Seasons

Had to test out this empowered rift thing last night. Did a GR60 to test out and got to level my gem 5 times.

Also found the second Unity and even though both of them don't have optimal stats it seems to have made a big difference. I breezed through a GR72 in around 6 mins.

Found some spares of pieces I already have too and will start reforging them to see whether I can get better stats. Come to think of it - I may as well reforge one of the Unity's - can't really get worse.
What class and build (maybe link your profile) are you playing because after the last quality of life patch most builds don't use unity because it's a massive drop in dps to use it.

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
What class and build (maybe link your profile) are you playing because after the last quality of life patch most builds don't use unity because it's a massive drop in dps to use it.
Meteor Wizard. I used Oculus Ring as a placeholder on both my character and the Templar and found that I wasn't tanky at all. Now I can actually survive running past a few monsters and teleporting into a large mob.

I find I need to constantly attack Arcane Torrent to get life back from kills or Life per Hit (though this is very low).

https://eu.diablo3.com/en/profile/zaPhreakboy-2206/hero/112247630

EDIT: Any advice on rerolls on both my and the follower's items would be appreciated.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Meteor Wizard. I used Oculus Ring as a placeholder on both my character and the Templar and found that I wasn't tanky at all. Now I can actually survive running past a few monsters and teleporting into a large mob.

I find I need to constantly attack Arcane Torrent to get life back from kills or Life per Hit (though this is very low).

EDIT: Any advice on rerolls on both my and the follower's items would be appreciated.
What I would do:

* Reroll your life per second on your CoE into CHD. Your CHD looks quite low (271%)
* Look for an In-Geom (weapon) and a Bul Kathos Wedding Band (Ring) for your follower
* Change the amethyst in your helm to a diamond which will increase your cooldown reduction
* Unless you're having serious Arcane regen issues, change the fourth skill on your follower from Inspire to Guardian

Unfortunately I can't see your paragon points allocation, so I don't know if those need a look too...

Here's mine if you want to compare https://eu.diablo3.com/en/profile/Stu-2408/hero/112146565

Not gonna lie I have limited experience with wizard and only used this build https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/wizard-channeling-meteor-firebird-build-patch-2-6-1-season-15.

The build does look a little confusing having to have mobs hit with 4 elements in order to up your all res and this could be the reason you a dying when not in the 8 second window. Then make sure you aren't spending to much resource so you keep aquilla up.

You should always try keep a 1 - 10 ratio on crit hit chance (CHC) to crit hit damage (CHD) and your crit hit damage is 270% - 50% (CHC). Join a few public bounties get some mats and reroll the unity, convention (you need the CHD) and deathwish (you need an ancient 1 ASAP).

Reroll ashangars regen for vit, reroll mantle for armor. When you have high all res which wizards do adding 500 armor can be like a 2-5% damage reduction.

When I was playing with firebirds I would often die in gr's 50-85 because things died too quickly and I couldn't keep my stacks up. GR 90's were a sweet spot where I could just let things follow me while I killed everything else and in GR 100's unless I made a mistake I was almost unkillable (sounds backwards but without your stacks your just glass you don't even have the cannon).

Personally I would try the firebirds version as well and see which one I preferred but you really have chosen a complicated class for a new player.

What I would do:

* Reroll your life per second on your CoE into CHD. Your CHD looks quite low (271%)
* Look for an In-Geom (weapon) and a Bul Kathos Wedding Band (Ring) for your follower
* Change the amethyst in your helm to a diamond which will increase your cooldown reduction
* Unless you're having serious Arcane regen issues, change the fourth skill on your follower from Inspire to Guardian

Unfortunately I can't see your paragon points allocation, so I don't know if those need a look too...

Here's mine if you want to compare https://eu.diablo3.com/en/profile/Stu-2408/hero/112146565
Is cooldown needed in the build because most people are running life%

Is cooldown needed in the build because most people are running life%
I suppose each to their own. I like the reduced cooldown as it means my Teleport is ready sooner. So I use an escape method instead of just standing there taking damage. And I also find that the amethyst is not going to make a massive difference the higher you go in GRifts. I think I must jump online again this evening. Been a while... :unsure:

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to go through it and make the changes I can.

None of it removed the Unity's - just saying :D

What I would do:

*CHD - will make this change
*Not sure what the In-Geom and Bul Kathos will give me - could you elaborate? I assume only the follower drains life from the Bul or does that apply to my character too?
*Also not sure whether I would take the cooldown reduction over the life - as mentioned I struggle with dying, but might play around between the two
* I'll try the Guardian

Not gonna lie I have limited experience with wizard and only used this build https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/wizard-channeling-meteor-firebird-build-patch-2-6-1-season-15.

The build does look a little confusing having to have mobs hit with 4 elements in order to up your all res and this could be the reason you a dying when not in the 8 second window. Then make sure you aren't spending to much resource so you keep aquilla up.

You should always try keep a 1 - 10 ratio on crit hit chance (CHC) to crit hit damage (CHD) and your crit hit damage is 270% - 50% (CHC). Join a few public bounties get some mats and reroll the unity, convention (you need the CHD) and deathwish (you need an ancient 1 ASAP).

Reroll ashangars regen for vit, reroll mantle for armor. When you have high all res which wizards do adding 500 armor can be like a 2-5% damage reduction.

When I was playing with firebirds I would often die in gr's 50-85 because things died too quickly and I couldn't keep my stacks up. GR 90's were a sweet spot where I could just let things follow me while I killed everything else and in GR 100's unless I made a mistake I was almost unkillable (sounds backwards but without your stacks your just glass you don't even have the cannon).

Personally I would try the firebirds version as well and see which one I preferred but you really have chosen a complicated class for a new player.
* 1-10 ratio: so if CHC is 50% - I'd want CHD to be 500% - so I should likely look at increasing CHD even if it means reducing CHC?
* Realise I need a better Deathwish :p - making the best of what I have :D
* Ashangars makes sense - will do it
* Mantle - unsure whether 11% Life is better than Armor - could you elaborate (keeping in mind that I feel that I need a lot of life due to occasionally dying too fast)

I have most of the Firebirds pieces too - will look at assembling them into a secondary build using the closet and give it a bash.

Thanks all for the input.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to go through it and make the changes I can.

None of it removed the Unity's - just saying :D

* 1-10 ratio: so if CHC is 50% - I'd want CHD to be 500% - so I should likely look at increasing CHD even if it means reducing CHC?
* Realise I need a better Deathwish :p - making the best of what I have :D
* Ashangars makes sense - will do it
* Mantle - unsure whether 11% Life is better than Armor - could you elaborate (keeping in mind that I feel that I need a lot of life due to occasionally dying too fast)

I have most of the Firebirds pieces too - will look at assembling them into a secondary build using the closet and give it a bash.

Thanks all for the input.
Removing the unity would be in the Firebirds build

-Yes remove CHC for CHD until you get a 1-10 ratio
- For damage reduction you can watch this video
from quin69 when hes playing a class he goes #1 in the world.

TLDR of the video is if you have high all res you get diminishing returns so adding 400 all res will give you like 0.5% damage reduction but if you were to add 400 armor you can get like 5% damage reduction depending on the break points. So adding life% is only good if you have high defense but if you don't you will still get one shot therefore armor will add more defensively the life%.

Basically add armor to int users and all res to strength and dex users

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
*Not sure what the In-Geom and Bul Kathos will give me - could you elaborate? I assume only the follower drains life from the Bul or does that apply to my character too?
Well the idea is that you're on the fringes firing in while your follower leaps into the fray, surrounded by enemies. This is where the Bul-Kathos Wedding Band comes in. He reduces their life while you pound in the meteors and arcane torrents. The In-Geom (if I understand correctly) reduces the follower's skills' cooldowns. This is especially effective when he's running skills like Guardian or Intervene. Also, a follower's CHD can only max out at 150%. So don't waste mats trying to get his CHD up. Technically, he's not there to dish out damage so I don't reroll any of his item's attributes. As long as his items are on point, I'm happy.

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
Well the idea is that you're on the fringes firing in while your follower leaps into the fray, surrounded by enemies. This is where the Bul-Kathos Wedding Band comes in. He reduces their life while you pound in the meteors and arcane torrents. The In-Geom (if I understand correctly) reduces the follower's skills' cooldowns. This is especially effective when he's running skills like Guardian or Intervene. Also, a follower's CHD can only max out at 150%. So don't waste mats trying to get his CHD up. Technically, he's not there to dish out damage so I don't reroll any of his item's attributes. As long as his items are on point, I'm happy.
Perhaps I'm playing the build wrong, but I don't use teleport for escape - I use it to engage, so jump into the fight, Frost Nova and then spam Meteor and Arcane Blast. This implies that I don't stand on the fringes and fire.

Gonna try watch some videos again - I think I did when deciding on the build, but can't remember how I'm supposed to play and guess you look at it different once you've played it for a bit...

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Perhaps I'm playing the build wrong, but I don't use teleport for escape - I use it to engage, so jump into the fight, Frost Nova and then spam Meteor and Arcane Blast. This implies that I don't stand on the fringes and fire.

Gonna try watch some videos again - I think I did when deciding on the build, but can't remember how I'm supposed to play and guess you look at it different once you've played it for a bit...
That's how I do it...tp in, brief frost ray, hit meteor once, then arcane torrent. 4 stacks, enough to kill the lvl 75 rift guardian before they run out

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master

Ah, yeah I agree with you on the teleport in. I use Ray of Frost though instead of Frost Nova. So I use that from the edges which procs my meteors and then use my meteor skill to add to the damage. Once I've done some damage (and hopefully my follower has done his Ess of Johann thing), I teleport in for the stun, which when coupled with your Bane of the Trapped gem increases the damage nicely. This comes back to cooldown reduction though, as I often use my Teleport to get out which is a problem when it is still on cooldown.

SS

Some epic GR 80 riftage with Mr AT jusnow.
During our few runs, I had 4 ramalamas drop... including 2 from one RG. You think I can find an ancient Deathwish though?
That's 11 in total this season.
lol - looks like I caught the Rama bug too - picked up another earlier this evening when running a GR80 solo

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
I cleared a GR79 yesterday. Was thinking I could catch and pass @AfricanTech, but then he increased to GR84.

Made some of the changes you all suggested and it's made a difference. I got a spare deathwish now and trying to reroll it, but haven't found a significantly better roll yet. The current roll is marginally better, but I'm not wasting my last Rama on a marginally better weapon, so will reroll it again. Can rerolls change Legenday into Ancient weapons?

GR 90 complete but won't be pushing much further until I get 5 or so gems to level 90 for augments.

I'm having a big problem keeping forgotten souls. These double bounties just eat through forgotten souls, I have like 600 odd mats for rolling and like 30 souls.

The same goes for gems I have under 50 of each gem and only 3 spare of the maxed rolled dex gems (1 augment).