Official Home Alarm Discussion Thread

F1 Fan

Expert Member
Placeholder for SMART alarm systems like Smart Things from Samsung.

Colin62

Executive Member
Why is this a sticky topic? We have enough of those.
I've always wondered who decides that threads are "the official" thread for a subject. And while I'm muttering, I might as well say that I don't like the whole lump everything even closely related into one huge thread with an official name. It's fine for jokes and pictures, but to my mind it makes more sense if you discuss a specific type of alarm or specific problem in it's own thread, that way it's easier to find if you're searching for information. Sticking everything into one thread is like a filing system where everything goes into Misc.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I agree. It would make more sense to create a sub topic for Home Alarm Systems where threads could be started.

Last edited:

F1 Fan

Expert Member
I agree. It would make more sense to create a sub topic for Home Alarm Sstems where threads could be started.
That could work too, if the mods will allow it. Right now, all we have if multiple alarms threads asking the same questions.

MockTurtle

Busy setting up a Paradox system.
Everything going spiffy except one thing - the IP150 (ethernet module thingy) just stopped sending emails.
Nothing in the log either. Until last night the logs used to indicate "email sent" or "email sending failed"... but now... nothing at all re email transmisson. zip. nil. nada.
Have tried resetting the unit. Still no go. Perhaps a faulty unit...? ...its ...just weird.

eta: solved it. dns. used smtp server's ip and it was fine :whistling:

Last edited:

F1 Fan

Expert Member
Busy setting up a Paradox system.
Everything going spiffy except one thing - the IP150 (ethernet module thingy) just stopped sending emails.
Nothing in the log either. Until last night the logs used to indicate "email sent" or "email sending failed"... but now... nothing at all re email transmisson. zip. nil. nada.
Have tried resetting the unit. Still no go. Perhaps a faulty unit...? ...its ...just weird.

eta: solved it. dns. used smtp server's ip and it was fine :whistling:
Did you go wired or wireless? How easy was it to set up?

MockTurtle

wireless...well except for the LCD32 keypad and the panel box which are wired together...

easy enough to set up - then again i got the ethernet module so i program using my pc, i can imagine it might be a ball-ache programming using the keypad alone :twisted:

...next step is integrating with my garage door and perimeter house lights etc

F1 Fan

Expert Member
wireless...well except for the LCD32 keypad and the panel box which are wired together...

easy enough to set up - then again i got the ethernet module so i program using my pc, i can imagine it might be a ball-ache programming using the keypad alone :twisted:

...next step is integrating with my garage door and perimeter house lights etc
Doesn't seem like Paradox allows you to automate garage and lights through their system...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Busy pricing up a Paradox system, and well blow me down but I smell price fixing in a huge way.

DIYShop, ZASecure, AlarmTec and a few other shops have the majority of the Paradox products at bang on the same price, varying by a few cents here and there.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Is it price fixing or just a manufacturer/supplier that enforces RRP.

Just like cigarettes etc and it's not considered price fixing.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Is it price fixing or just a manufacturer/supplier that enforces RRP.

Just like cigarettes etc and it's not considered price fixing.
As far as I understand, even a manufacturer enforcing RRP is considered price fixing in this country....

But some places are cheaper on some items, and others are cheaper on other items.

If the manufacturer was enforcing RRP then all items would be the same price at all stores.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Busy pricing up a Paradox system, and well blow me down but I smell price fixing in a huge way.

DIYShop, ZASecure, AlarmTec and a few other shops have the majority of the Paradox products at bang on the same price, varying by a few cents here and there.
What system you looking at, wireless?

I need to redo my alarm sometime so please keep us updated etc.

Expecially iro wireless and reliability ie false alarms etc

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
What system you looking at, wireless?

I need to redo my alarm sometime so please keep us updated etc.

Expecially iro wireless and reliability ie false alarms etc
Wireless, and currently the Magellan 5050 setup.

I've just spent a small fortune renovating my place and the last thing I want is random wires running all over the walls and such.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Agreed wires expecially alarm wires are a PITA.

Keep us informed and good luck.

spiderz

Honorary Master
price +- on a wireless setup?

Since you already have all the quotes :p