Official Home Alarm Discussion Thread

simonbee

mine is still giving delayed notifications, often many hours later. Did you get the firmware updated?

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Where can I buy a new back up battery for my alarm and what are the costs involved.

Preferably either online or Cape Town northern suburbs and surroundings.

rodga

Executive Member
Where can I buy a new back up battery for my alarm and what are the costs involved.

Also need to get one soon I think, will need to replace the electric fence one as well.
Anyone have any recommendations in the centurion/pta areas?

Speedster

Executive Member

First step would be to confirm the specs of the current battery - most likely 12v 7ah. You're looking at around R230 for 12v 7ah batteries, and they should be available from most hardware or security shops, as well as online.

Edit: this is a pretty decent price - https://www.geewiz.co.za/batteries/57566-bat-12v7ah-12v7ah-sealed-lead-acid-battery.html?utm_source=pricecheck&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricecheck&SFDRREF=SFDR_311337624&ptcid=2961_1_152140575

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
First step would be to confirm the specs of the current battery - most likely 12v 7ah. You're looking at around R230 for 12v 7ah batteries, and they should be available from most hardware or security shops, as well as online.

Edit: this is a pretty decent price - https://www.geewiz.co.za/batteries/57566-bat-12v7ah-12v7ah-sealed-lead-acid-battery.html?utm_source=pricecheck&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricecheck&SFDRREF=SFDR_311337624&ptcid=2961_1_152140575
Thank you very much, appreciate it. Would it be advisable to buy a bigger battery that will last longer? My current battery did not even last 2 years.

Speedster

Executive Member
Thank you very much, appreciate it. Would it be advisable to buy a bigger battery that will last longer? My current battery did not even last 2 years.
I'm no battery expert so I'm speaking very much under correction here, but I don't believe a larger battery will necessarily mean greater longevity. My understanding is that the life time of the battery has more to do with the technology used so a different type of battery (eg. lithium) might last longer. A larger battery (i.e. more amp hours) should provide power for longer periods at a time, but just check that it will physically fit

Fury05

Expert Member
Hi Everyone

Looking for advice. Looks like my backup battery in the alarm system is dead due to load shedding hitting so frequently. The alarm company says it needs to replaced. Even though it's less than 6 months old. Clearly load shedding is not going to end anytime soon and I can't afford to keep replacing the battery every few months. Are there any other solutions? (preferably something I can do myself)

Would something like this work:

https://www.alarmtec.co.za/batteries/battery-kit-p-1882.html

NB. Recently with stage 4 load shedding we have 4,5 hour slots 3 times per day. My concern is that the batteries will not have sufficient time to charge e.g. the slots are usually 02:00 - 06:30am; 10:00 - 14:30pm; and 18:00 - 22:30pm. With stage 5 & 6 now planned as well, I'm wondering should I even bother buying new batteries at all.

Last edited:

Speedster

Executive Member
How long should a standard 12v 7ah battery be able to power a home alarm for? I have 4 cabled outside PIR's (takex 180-degree) and about 5 internal PIRs. My battery isn't making the 2 hour load shedding shifts, so I'm wondering if it's a dead battery, or just too little battery.

REAList_1

Hi Everyone

Looking for advice. Looks like my backup battery in the alarm system is dead due to load shedding hitting so frequently. The alarm company says it needs to replaced. Even though it's less than 6 months old. Clearly load shedding is not going to end anytime soon and I can't afford to keep replacing the battery every few months. Are there any other solutions? (preferably something I can do myself)

Would something like this work:

https://www.alarmtec.co.za/batteries/battery-kit-p-1882.html

NB. Recently with stage 4 load shedding we have 4,5 hour slots 3 times per day. My concern is that the batteries will not have sufficient time to charge e.g. the slots are usually 02:00 - 06:30am; 10:00 - 14:30pm; and 18:00 - 22:30pm. With stage 5 & 6 now planned as well, I'm wondering should I even bother buying new batteries at all.
I replaced my 7ahr with the bigger 12ahr battery. It did not last any longer in my view.
Changed my home to an inverter lithium battery backup and that solved the problem.
But I then put the 12ahr battery on a ctek charger and it was charging. I still have it for a backup.
Can one really compare the charger board inside an alarm system with a ctek? The solution in my view is to charge these batteries from a smart charger. Can be had from about R500.
I don’t know whether you would have to restart it every time after a loadshed though.

Fury05

Expert Member
I replaced my 7ahr with the bigger 12ahr battery. It did not last any longer in my view.
Changed my home to an inverter lithium battery backup and that solved the problem.
But I then put the 12ahr battery on a ctek charger and it was charging. I still have it for a backup.
Can one really compare the charger board inside an alarm system with a ctek? The solution in my view is to charge these batteries from a smart charger. Can be had from about R500.
I don’t know whether you would have to restart it every time after a loadshed though.
Thanks for that. Could you point me in the right direction or link me to the smart charger in question. Newbie when it comes to these sort of things.

Fury05

Expert Member
I was thinking maybe I could get 2 batteries with a charger. One would be on charge until it is needed, the other would "drain" in the alarm system. Once drained I can then swap them where the drained battery can now charge. Would something like that work or would the battery be damaged from draining it too often?

2 of these:
https://www.batteryexperts.co.za/shop/12v-9ah-csb-agm-battery/

Together with charger (couldn't find the correct CTEK charger):
https://www.batteryexperts.co.za/shop/benton-bx-3-6v-12v-1ah/

This charger seems to have the feature I was looking for: "Automatically returns to last selected mode after a power outage or when restarted."

REAList_1

I was thinking maybe I could get 2 batteries with a charger. One would be on charge until it is needed, the other would "drain" in the alarm system. Once drained I can then swap them where the drained battery can now charge. Would something like that work or would the battery be damaged from draining it too often?

2 of these:
https://www.batteryexperts.co.za/shop/12v-9ah-csb-agm-battery/

Together with charger (couldn't find the correct CTEK charger):
https://www.batteryexperts.co.za/shop/benton-bx-3-6v-12v-1ah/

This charger seems to have the feature I was looking for: "Automatically returns to last selected mode after a power outage or when restarted."
Benton is right but stock out.
You only need a 12ah battery. Should survive stage 4.

Fury05

Expert Member
Benton is right but stock out.
You only need a 12ah battery. Should survive stage 4.
Our stage 4 involves 3, 4.5 hour sessions per day (total 13.5 hours out per day). That's the problem I have is that the battery does not have sufficient time to charge.

REAList_1

Our stage 4 involves 3, 4.5 hour sessions per day (total 13.5 hours out per day). That's the problem I have is that the battery does not have sufficient time to charge.
Or you need a bigger battery that does not discharge too much. Then the load vs discharge can be balanced. But it will be costly.
If possible you must measure the kW hrs consumption of your alarm system. Then the proper battery size can be calculated.

simonbee

regarding the Paradox Insite Gold app and it's delayed push notifications. I contacted Paradox who referred me to their South African distributor. I contacted the distributor who referred me back to Paradox who have not even replied to my latest email. to send a log of the insite gold application to Paradox, when you open the app, long press the swan on the top left hand side. Maybe if they get enough logs they might actually try to fix the problem.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
regarding the Paradox Insite Gold app and it's delayed push notifications. I contacted Paradox who referred me to their South African distributor. I contacted the distributor who referred me back to Paradox who have not even replied to my latest email. to send a log of the insite gold application to Paradox, when you open the app, long press the swan on the top left hand side. Maybe if they get enough logs they might actually try to fix the problem.
From my experience , It was slightly delayed (30 seconds) last week , but in the last few days back to nearly instantaneous.

I am wondering if load shedding is causing crap with them if they being powered off or that the internet connection itself dies and comes back up with a new IP.

Now that loadshedding won't happen this week, if you haven't tried, power off ip150 and back on. If the internet connection is stable then hopefully you get instant notifications again? Just a stab in the dark

Lupus

Honorary Master
So freaking load shedding took out two of my 7ah batteries, replaced them last week, scary thing I paid R179 from Geewiz last week, now those same batteries are R196 and listed as out of stock. It also seems it's fried two of my passives as they trigger on the alarm panel but they don't sound the alarm?