Official Home Alarm Discussion Thread

alqassam

Expert Member
Beams are where the red dots are.

Total 10 of them that's a very tough sketch

deweyzeph

Executive Member
they shouldnt be able to get to the roof
Exactly. If your outdoor sensors are setup correctly there should be no way that someone can get on your roof undetected. If given a choice between indoor and outdoor sensors I would take properly setup outdoor sensors any day. Having indoor sensors only is worthless, yet so many people still only have them. Whether you are at home or not, if you only have indoor sensors then that means by the time the alarm is actually triggered the burglars have already had plenty of time to take what they want, or hurt you and your family.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Beams are where the red dots are.

Total 10 of them that's a very tough sketch
imo you already looking at it all wrong, the beams should be on the outer perimeter looking in, that way you don't need to worry about as many angles and it is harder for crooks to scope them out so they generally jump the wall etc straight into a beam. you could look at maybe as little as 4 x 180 beams in this case or possibly 6 to absolutely cover everything.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Exactly. If your outdoor sensors are setup correctly there should be no way that someone can get on your roof undetected. If given a choice between indoor and outdoor sensors I would take properly setup outdoor sensors any day. Having indoor sensors only is worthless, yet so many people still only have them. Whether you are at home or not, if you only have indoor sensors then that means by the time the alarm is actually triggered the burglars have already had plenty of time to take what they want, or hurt you and your family.
yep. along with that the roof is probably used to access properties in like maybe 5% of cases if that, guys usually like coming in with a fast way of getting out.

alqassam

Expert Member
imo you already looking at it all wrong, the beams should be on the outer perimeter looking in, that way you don't need to worry about as many angles and it is harder for crooks to scope them out so they generally jump the wall etc straight into a beam. you could look at maybe as little as 4 x 180 beams in this case or possibly 6 to absolutely cover everything.
The property is 100m by 100m so to cover the outside perimeter is crazy

There are only 2 walls close to the house on the east and west sides

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
The property is 100m by 100m so to cover the outside perimeter is crazy

There are only 2 walls close to the house on the east and west sides
your property is not 100 x 100 if there are walls close to either end of the house :p 10 000m^2 property? is it a plot?

alqassam

Expert Member
your property is not 100 x 100 if there are walls close to either end of the house 10 000m^2 property? is it a plot?
It's a plot the one side is close to boundary, I then have a walled off area that is let which is close to the other side.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Cover all the entry points, thats the objective

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
It's a plot the one side is close to boundary, I then have a walled off area that is let which is close to the other side.
ok then fair enough it makes it trickier, on the two sides you could cover those with 1 x beams facing in, and on the long sides you would need to look at 2 - 3 beams, so you could prob get away with 6 - 8 beams, imo its still way better safety wise and piece of mind than having internal sensors

alqassam

Expert Member
ok then fair enough it makes it trickier, on the two sides you could cover those with 1 x beams facing in, and on the long sides you would need to look at 2 - 3 beams, so you could prob get away with 6 - 8 beams, imo its still way better safety wise and piece of mind than having internal sensors
Il relook at it.

But yea a pia to secure fully

Viva

Expert Member
Hi all (and @falcon786 and @AntennaMan in particular, see quoted posts below)

I'm in talks with a security company to get an alarm installed. I have a quote in my inbox and need to indicate whether I want to move forward or not. Before I do, I want to get clarity on a couple of things, and this seems like the best place to ask my questions.

1. The alarm system they suggested is the Paradox MG5050. I noticed that this is the system that has been heavily discussed here since 2015, I think. This is now 5 years later and it seems this is still the one to go with. Is this correct? Or am I risking buying old tech?

2. The quote included the olarm radio (dual sim) at a price of R755 excl. I saw the app in action and I'm quite impressed by what this can do. However I don't like recurring costs and so I have a couple of questions about the possibility of avoiding them:

a) From what I understand from the security company, I'd still be able to use olarm even if I decide at some future point to stop their armed response services. At this point, they'll remove my olarm from their "dashboard". If this happens, to who am I supposed to pay the R57 monthly fee "for the olarm data"? I'll pay this to the security company as long as they are my intermediary. But I'm not sure how this works when a client use Olarm without a security company acting as an intermediary.

b) Can this R57/month for olarm's data be avoided by inserting your own sim cards and keeping them loaded with data bundles? Or is the R57 simply an ongoing service fee that can't be avoided with olarm?

c) How does this square with the following note on this page at alarmtech? Is my understanding correct that the prices below for the "olarm app" is simply a payment plan for the R57/month I would be paying to the security company as long as my olarm radio is linked to their "dashboard"? If this is correct, I would like to have the olarm linked to the security company's armed response control room for a couple of months, but ultimately be able to cancel armed response and use olarm as a stand-alone product (and pay olarm's subscription directly if required.)

Olarm app is a paid service app
At date of publishing the Olarm app pricing:
6 Month subscription R 349 incl VAT
12 Month subscription R 649 incl VAT
24 Month subscription R 1099 incl VAT
d) As I don't have the time (and know-how) to install an alarm system myself and I need this to be done within a week, I need to determine whether the ongoing subscription for olarm is worthwhile. In your opinion, is this priced well?

Thanks to anyone willing to clear up the confusion on my part.

--------------------------

I got one installed yesterday for my own peace of mind as a redundancy separate to my Armed response radio so I don't even care if they support it since they have their own radio,this allows me to check on them too...so far very impressed setup was instant literally 2 minutes and I can control my alarm from my phone and get instant notifications of events.

What I also like is the ability to arm/disarm/bypass a zone from literally anywhere even if I'm on holiday/out of town and one zone is misbehaving my alarm co doesn't have to treat my alarm like the boy that cried wolf.
You security company does not need to support them,they have 2 types of units one for paradox systems which is what I have and another generic unit for IDS etc
Yes very very simple actually.

1.Connect Olarm dual sim unit to alarm panel.
2.Download app to your phone.
3.Register your account and link Olarm device serial number to it(on Olarm unit box)
4.Pay monthly subs(I think it's R40 but first year free)

That's it,very quick and easy to setup,if your alarm supports PGM's then the app can also do stuff like open your gate or garage doors etc.
Why I chose the Olarm unit over the normal IP units was it uses a direct data connection via Vodacom/MTN so no need for my wifi to be online for it to work,it draws backup power from your alarm system directly in case of power outages.
So this seems to be a fairly new development. A year or two ago when I left Olarm, they were less consumer-focused and more industry-focused. I am in contact with Olarm to see if my old Olarm device can be repurposed.

alqassam

Expert Member
Hi all (and @falcon786 and @AntennaMan in particular, see quoted posts below)

I'm in talks with a security company to get an alarm installed. I have a quote in my inbox and need to indicate whether I want to move forward or not. Before I do, I want to get clarity on a couple of things, and this seems like the best place to ask my questions.

1. The alarm system they suggested is the Paradox MG5050. I noticed that this is the system that has been heavily discussed here since 2015, I think. This is now 5 years later and it seems this is still the one to go with. Is this correct? Or am I risking buying old tech?

2. The quote included the olarm radio (dual sim) at a price of R755 excl. I saw the app in action and I'm quite impressed by what this can do. However I don't like recurring costs and so I have a couple of questions about the possibility of avoiding them:

a) From what I understand from the security company, I'd still be able to use olarm even if I decide at some future point to stop their armed response services. At this point, they'll remove my olarm from their "dashboard". If this happens, to who am I supposed to pay the R57 monthly fee "for the olarm data"? I'll pay this to the security company as long as they are my intermediary. But I'm not sure how this works when a client use Olarm without a security company acting as an intermediary.

b) Can this R57/month for olarm's data be avoided by inserting your own sim cards and keeping them loaded with data bundles? Or is the R57 simply an ongoing service fee that can't be avoided with olarm?

c) How does this square with the following note on this page at alarmtech? Is my understanding correct that the prices below for the "olarm app" is simply a payment plan for the R57/month I would be paying to the security company as long as my olarm radio is linked to their "dashboard"? If this is correct, I would like to have the olarm linked to the security company's armed response control room for a couple of months, but ultimately be able to cancel armed response and use olarm as a stand-alone product (and pay olarm's subscription directly if required.)

d) As I don't have the time (and know-how) to install an alarm system myself and I need this to be done within a week, I need to determine whether the ongoing subscription for olarm is worthwhile. In your opinion, is this priced well?

Thanks to anyone willing to clear up the confusion on my part.

--------------------------
I have been using the ip150 module with paradox app costs about 200 for the year and offers all functionality, except backup using gprs.

Viva

Expert Member
I have been using the ip150 module with paradox app costs about 200 for the year and offers all functionality, except backup using gprs.
Thanks for the reply. I got the distinct impression that the IP150 is great for those DIY quys wanting something to play with, but would be to much of a mission for the average impatient oke to set up well. Is this correct? Also, what do you mean with "backup using gprs"?

alqassam

Expert Member
Thanks for the reply. I got the distinct impression that the IP150 is great for those DIY quys wanting something to play with, but would be to much of a mission for the average impatient oke to set up well. Is this correct? Also, what do you mean with "backup using gprs"?
Incorrect.

You basically connect it to the the serial on the mg5050 and connect it to the lan.

Enter the serial number of the board in the app and it's done

The app allows you to control the entries system remotely but you have to have an internet connection

Viva

Expert Member
Incorrect.

You basically connect it to the the serial on the mg5050 and connect it to the lan.

Enter the serial number of the board in the app and it's done

The app allows you to control the entries system remotely but you have to have an internet connection
Thanks! So the IP150 does not have it's own internet connection and will loose connectivity once my router goes down during loadshedding?

grump_grouch

Thanks! So the IP150 does not have it's own internet connection and will loose connectivity once my router goes down during loadshedding?
Busy putting in a new system with my biggest requirement being that I must be able to control my alarm system via my LAN if the internet/3rd party server is down (big pain with my current system). Was told by the supplier and security company that the IP150 will allow you to do this and that you can manage your system locally without Swan/internet if needed. My choice on Paradox was based on this promise by the supplier and security company.