Official Home Alarm Discussion Thread

falcon786

Executive Member
Busy putting in a new system with my biggest requirement being that I must be able to control my alarm system via my LAN if the internet/3rd party server is down (big pain with my current system). Was told by the supplier and security company that the IP150 will allow you to do this and that you can manage your system locally without Swan/internet if needed. My choice on Paradox was based on this promise by the supplier and security company.
How will your ip150 communicate with the outside world if there's no internet?That doesn't make sense.

alqassam

Expert Member
How will your ip150 communicate with the outside world if there's no internet?That doesn't make sense.
Busy putting in a new system with my biggest requirement being that I must be able to control my alarm system via my LAN if the internet/3rd party server is down (big pain with my current system). Was told by the supplier and security company that the IP150 will allow you to do this and that you can manage your system locally without Swan/internet if needed. My choice on Paradox was based on this promise by the supplier and security company.
He means that you can control locally without internet.

Just type in the ip150 IP address and control from there

falcon786

Executive Member
He means that you can control locally without internet.

Just type in the ip150 IP address and control from there
Ok so it doesn't need to route via their server then is what you're saying...direct device control locally is possible.

falcon786

Executive Member
a) From what I understand from the security company, I'd still be able to use olarm even if I decide at some future point to stop their armed response services. At this point, they'll remove my olarm from their "dashboard". If this happens, to who am I supposed to pay the R57 monthly fee "for the olarm data"? I'll pay this to the security company as long as they are my intermediary. But I'm not sure how this works when a client use Olarm without a security company acting as an intermediary.
You would pay it directly to Olarm,I just paid them for 2 years of service via the app after it showed subscription due warning message.Worked out to around R45 per month.

b) Can this R57/month for olarm's data be avoided by inserting your own sim cards and keeping them loaded with data bundles? Or is the R57 simply an ongoing service fee that can't be avoided with olarm?
It can't,since the device uses the simcards to communicate with their servers but you'd still need their servers to communicate with the app.

c) How does this square with the following note on this page at alarmtech? Is my understanding correct that the prices below for the "olarm app" is simply a payment plan for the R57/month I would be paying to the security company as long as my olarm radio is linked to their "dashboard"? If this is correct, I would like to have the olarm linked to the security company's armed response control room for a couple of months, but ultimately be able to cancel armed response and use olarm as a stand-alone product (and pay olarm's subscription directly if required.)
I would suggest that you get your olarm connected independently of your response company,let them install their own radio as redundancy.

That said you could do it the way you want to,it's possible.

d) As I don't have the time (and know-how) to install an alarm system myself and I need this to be done within a week, I need to determine whether the ongoing subscription for olarm is worthwhile. In your opinion, is this priced well?
For me it was worth the minimal cost to install it at my business,R45 can't even buy you a decent McDonalds burger these days.

I've actually decided to put one up at my home too,only thing holding me back is my home alarm system is an old IDS unit and the Olarm unit for those can't control PGM's while on the Paradox you could,it would be cool to be able to open up the front gate or garage for a delivery or somebody who needs to do work on my house for example when I'm not home.So for there I'm weighing up my options on whether to spend more money on a new paradox system even though current ids alarm works very very well.

I have Reolink cams to see what they got up to also.

Thanks to anyone willing to clear up the confusion on my part.
--------------------------

It's a pleasure.

Speedster

Executive Member
I have a Caddx NX6v2 and the spec is for a 16.5V 50VA power supply. I'm considering hooking it up to a 12V UPS instead. Since it works off of a 12v battery during power outages I'm assuming that a 12V supply will be sufficient. Is this a safe assumption?

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
I have a Caddx NX6v2 and the spec is for a 16.5V 50VA power supply. I'm considering hooking it up to a 12V UPS instead. Since it works off of a 12v battery during power outages I'm assuming that a 12V supply will be sufficient. Is this a safe assumption?
you could just double up the battery also?

Speedster

Executive Member
you could just double up the battery also?
Other option is to switch to a LiFePo4 battery. These SLA batteries don't seem to last very long with the load shedding and the keypad screaming towards the end of a load shedding cycle keeps the whole family awake

Viva

Expert Member
Thanks so much, this is very helpful indeed! I think this means that Olarm will indeed be a good fit to serve my needs.

You would pay it directly to Olarm,I just paid them for 2 years of service via the app after it showed subscription due warning message.Worked out to around R45 per month.

It can't,since the device uses the simcards to communicate with their servers but you'd still need their servers to communicate with the app.

I would suggest that you get your olarm connected independently of your response company,let them install their own radio as redundancy.

That said you could do it the way you want to,it's possible.

For me it was worth the minimal cost to install it at my business,R45 can't even buy you a decent McDonalds burger these days.

I've actually decided to put one up at my home too,only thing holding me back is my home alarm system is an old IDS unit and the Olarm unit for those can't control PGM's while on the Paradox you could,it would be cool to be able to open up the front gate or garage for a delivery or somebody who needs to do work on my house for example when I'm not home.So for there I'm weighing up my options on whether to spend more money on a new paradox system even though current ids alarm works very very well.

I have Reolink cams to see what they got up to also.
--------------------------

It's a pleasure.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
My Paradox Insight Gold app no longer works with my alarm, after updating to 2.7. I can login, but none of the zones or areas load on the app. I had to downgrade to 2.5 to get Insight Gold to work again.

Do I need a firmware update on the IP150?

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
I am revisiting this thread with the same problem as previously. I have an alarm system but sometimes when I bypass the same 2 zones, as I do every evening, the alarm will trigger.

There is absolutely no pattern as to when it will be activated etc, just randomly. I think I have an 8 zone board which are sleeping quarters but there are 4 rooms under that zone so cant figure out where the problem comes from.

When I leave the house and activate the alarm it never happens.

As I said, no pattern that I can figure out what is causing this.

The alarm might activate at night, I disarm, bypass and arm again and then x amount of hours pass and it will sound again, but also not always, sometimes never, other times once, twice etc.

Any idea?

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
I am revisiting this thread with the same problem as previously. I have an alarm system but sometimes when I bypass the same 2 zones, as I do every evening, the alarm will trigger.

There is absolutely no pattern as to when it will be activated etc, just randomly. I think I have an 8 zone board which are sleeping quarters but there are 4 rooms under that zone so cant figure out where the problem comes from.

When I leave the house and activate the alarm it never happens.

As I said, no pattern that I can figure out what is causing this.

The alarm might activate at night, I disarm, bypass and arm again and then x amount of hours pass and it will sound again, but also not always, sometimes never, other times once, twice etc.

Any idea?
you might need to trial and error it and remove one zone at a time, but like you say it might not happen for sometime and you aren't sure if you fixed it or not.

alqassam

Expert Member
Roboguard or standard optex/takex sensors for outside protection.

Only downside j see of the roboguard is no remote monitoring, arm and disarm

Withtm the optex/takex and paradox you will get alerts and can monitor remotely.

Can the roboguard system be set up to arm when you arm your standard alarm?

Secondly can you set up the roboguard to different zones in the paradox.

It seems here that you can use 1 wire per zone and blue for common

Last edited:

Claymore

Executive Member
I have a question on remotes, perhaps someone can help.

We have Sherlotronics RX-150 receivers for our gate/garage/alarm. We lost a remote, and got an apparently identical 6 button replacement, also Sherlotronics. I have followed the procedure to link the remote to the gate receiver, but it doesn't work. The remote battery is fine, and I have even had the remote replaced. I can successfully link all of our other remotes (after I accidentally reset the receiver to default).

Any ideas?

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
I have a question on remotes, perhaps someone can help.

We have Sherlotronics RX-150 receivers for our gate/garage/alarm. We lost a remote, and got an apparently identical 6 button replacement, also Sherlotronics. I have followed the procedure to link the remote to the gate receiver, but it doesn't work. The remote battery is fine, and I have even had the remote replaced. I can successfully link all of our other remotes (after I accidentally reset the receiver to default).

Any ideas?
what happens, does it not link or does it do nothing even though linked?

Claymore

Executive Member
what happens, does it not link or does it do nothing even though linked?
It doesn't link. You're supposed to press the link button on the receiver, then the relevant button on the remote a few times, and the receiver will beep a couple of time to indicate it's linked. It doesn't do that; it's as if it doesn't get a signal. Yet I've replaced the remote with a new one.

Viva

Expert Member
Hi all. Quick question regarding 433Mhz vs 868Mhz.

I'm getting a paradox system (MG5050) installed by a security company - I have the quote with me. It will include, among some wired passives in the bedrooms, the following wireless sensors:
  • 3X wireless passives (PMD2)
  • 1X wireless curtain beam (NV35MR)
  • 1X wireless outdoor beam (NV780MR)
  • 2X wireless door magnets (DCTXP2, I think)
I've read this SAIDSA document on jamming, as well as this thread on this forum, which mention that 868Mhz is "generally better than 433Mhz".

I want to know whether or not I need to engage the security company on this issue. If I don't, I assume they'll just install a 433Mhz system.
  • Is 868Mhz safer?
  • Would all the sensors above be available in 868Mhz versions?
  • Does the Paradox MG5050 come with jamming detection/protection?
  • If it does, to what extent does this negate my concerns about 433Mhz?
Thanks to anyone willing to help me.

Last edited:

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
It doesn't link. You're supposed to press the link button on the receiver, then the relevant button on the remote a few times, and the receiver will beep a couple of time to indicate it's linked. It doesn't do that; it's as if it doesn't get a signal. Yet I've replaced the remote with a new one.
i know it is a silly question as it is expected, but they are the same signal range?

AntennaMan

Expert Member
Hi all. Quick question regarding 433Mhz vs 868Mhz.

I'm getting a paradox system (MG5050) installed by a security company - I have the quote with me. It will include, among some wired passives in the bedrooms, the following wireless sensors:
  • 3X wireless passives (PMD2)
  • 1X wireless curtain beam (NV35MR)
  • 1X wireless outdoor beam (NV780MR)
  • 2X wireless door magnets (DCTXP2, I think)
I've read this SAIDSA document on jamming, as well as this thread on this forum, which mention that 868Mhz is "generally better than 433Mhz".

I want to know whether or not I need to engage the security company on this issue. If I don't, I assume they'll just install a 433Mhz system.
  • Is 868Mhz safer?
  • Would all the sensors above be available in 868Mhz versions?
  • Does the Paradox MG5050 come with jamming detection/protection?
  • If it does, to what extent does this negate my concerns about 433Mhz?
Thanks to anyone willing to help me.
433 MHz has better range than 868 MHz, but can possibly be more prone to jamming due to so many other wireless systems working at the same frequency (for example, garage door openers, cordless phones, etc). Paradox has a repeater that you can use if the range is an issue.

All of the sensors are available in both 433 and 868 Mhz.

The Paradox software (Babyware) has an option to select "jamming detection". I've been running my 434 MHz system for more than 3 years now without any major issues. I would have liked to go for 868 MHz, but our property is long and narrow, so I needed the extra range.