Official Home Alarm Discussion Thread

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Also remember that a cheap 7ah alarm battery is more like a 4ah battery when you drain it fully at higher currents (from a large alarm system).

By installing a bigger battery, you are "stressing" it less and so the capacity will be higher. So a 12ah will be a 9ah effectively as an example.

Also, you will drain it less into the dead zone and so it will last longer and maintain it's capacity.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
32 zones... what kind of mansion is this
When we installed, my requirement was to be able to identify individual rooms properly - e.g. Lounge Windows, Lounge Doors, Dining Room Windows, Dining Room Doors - not just "Front House Windows". So the mansion isn't that big.

Just get an 18ah Gel battery. It costs about the same as 2 x 9ah.

Did you use a volt meter on the battery terminals? Was the battery disconnected from the alarm? If not, you are measuing the charging voltage and not the battery voltage, surely?

Anyway, I don't trust the battery voltage reading as a good measure of health.

Get yourself a nice 18ah 12V Gel and see if that helps, they are around R700.
Would the current transformer be cable of charging the battery? I suppose it'll just be slower than usual, and hopefully long enough breaks in load shedding.

Any recommendations on a battery? I see there are tons of options.

good points here.. voltage needs to be measured off the charger and pref with some rest time.
I measured the battery during load shedding - I haven't measured it after loadshedding - with a bit of charging - without the charger connected.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
%^%Y&$# alarm went haywire again at 2am with loadshedding, this time setting off and creating a nice strobe effect from the bedroom panel.

Phoned around and it seems Deltec can help me with a 12v18ah battery - I've used their batteries before for camping, so sure the quality is good.

Neuk_

Expert Member
%^%Y&$# alarm went haywire again at 2am with loadshedding, this time setting off and creating a nice strobe effect from the bedroom panel.

Phoned around and it seems Deltec can help me with a 12v18ah battery - I've used their batteries before for camping, so sure the quality is good.
It looks like our alarm backup battery is on its way out as I received a low power warning a few hours in to load shedding the other night. I can't wait to have our small inverter and batteries installed next week to take the sting out of load shedding and take some strain off our alarm, electric fence and garage motor backup batteries.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
New battery in... A bit more of a mission than planned. Uses nuts instead of those small clamps, so had to change the wiring... Then the battery was too large for the box, so had to put in new wiring. Up and running though, so lets see what happens during load shedding.

rodga

Executive Member
Would changing to a LiFePO4 battery require a different charging setup? I have the m5050.

Brieuse

Not sure if you can run a separate charging system with paradox though
So,

I have a paradox mg5050 with two additional zone modules.

I have the standard 7ah battery inside the alarm box , plus an additional 7ah battery in it's own enclosure, both which supply the alarm panel.

I then have an additional 7ah battery in it's own enclosure supplying 7 outside beams.

All of which appear to be charged from 1 50W Paradox/Spectrum supply.

I am running into issues with the batteries not lasting very long, could the single power supply not be enough to charge them in time?

Is there a better setup I can try?

edit: it lasts about 2.5 hours, I found a burnt wire so there may have been a lightning strike.

Last edited:

uzairb

Paradox Magellan MG-5050 stuck in Stay Armed. Tried disconnecting power and backup power to the unit for a few days. Tried off then code... nothing seems to work.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Claymore

Executive Member
Sherlo make both 403Mhz and 433Mhz remotes and receivers, my bet is that your new remote is the wrong frequency.
Spot on, thank you for that. Turns out our system uses the very rare 433MHz frequency. I had to order a new 433 remote.

Gielie01

Spot on, thank you for that. Turns out our system uses the very rare 433MHz frequency. I had to order a new 433 remote.

They are rare, as I understand the one band is for local usage and the other is used for export.
Glad I could help

kyuubi64

Would changing to a LiFePO4 battery require a different charging setup? I have the m5050.
You can install this Lifepo4. It has built in BMS and low voltage disconnect. https://www.communica.co.za/products/batt-13v8-li-ion-bln or you could go for a bit larger one like the 11AH version if you don't mind it not being able to fit in the panel.
Also hit enter on the keypad followed by installer code (default is 0000), then location 700 and make sure option 2 is illuminated/enabled. The default charging rate is 350mah and this will change it to 700mah so will help charge your battery faster after load shedding. Also a plus about going Lifepo4 is that it's about 99% efficient so you can generally get away with using a larger battery than the stock 7ah SLA battery which is only about 50%ish efficient.

kyuubi64

You can install this Lifepo4. It has built in BMS and low voltage disconnect. https://www.communica.co.za/products/batt-13v8-li-ion-bln or you could go for a bit larger one like the 11AH version if you don't mind it not being able to fit in the panel.
Also hit enter on the keypad followed by installer code (default is 0000), then location 700 and make sure option 2 is illuminated/enabled. The default charging rate is 350mah and this will change it to 700mah so will help charge your battery faster after load shedding. Also a plus about going Lifepo4 is that it's about 99% efficient so you can generally get away with using a larger battery than the stock 7ah SLA battery which is only about 50%ish efficient.
Attached spec sheet for decent 8AH gel and for the above 8AH Lifepo4. Think of the cycle as every time there is load shedding it takes away a cycle from your battery. In my opinion the Lifepo4 is well worth the three times upfront cost of the Gel battery...

Attachments

kyuubi64

Paradox Magellan MG-5050 stuck in Stay Armed. Tried disconnecting power and backup power to the unit for a few days. Tried off then code... nothing seems to work.
It has a quartz crystal built in to it to retain it's programming, etc... You can default the panel by holding in the button on the panel when it starts fast flashing let button go and tap button again quickly. It should default the panel, but you'd need to program it again. Normally entering code should turn off stay arm though. So a bit odd.

rorz0r

Executive Member
That looks cool. Could I use it as a drop in replacement for gate motor, garage door, electric fence etc too? (assuming they all use the normal 12V 7Ah batteries)

kyuubi64

It has a quartz crystal built in to it to retain it's programming, etc... You can default the panel by holding in the button on the panel when it starts fast flashing let button go and tap button again quickly. It should default the panel, but you'd need to program it again. Normally entering code should turn off stay arm though. So a bit odd.
That looks cool. Could I use it as a drop in replacement for gate motor, garage door, electric fence etc too? (assuming they all use the normal 12V 7Ah batteries)
Yes, they are designed to be drop in replacements for SLA batteries plus that three year warranty is always welcomed.

alqassam

Expert Member

Yes, they are designed to be drop in replacements for SLA batteries plus that three year warranty is always welcomed.
I assume you are talking about the blue nova's?

We spoke to one of the reps and he said this.

Yes, these batteries have an integrated BMS. Unlike the digital solution in our standard range, an MPS battery’s BMS is of analog-type. Attempting to over-charge will result in the BMS disconnecting the battery from the load, then reconnecting again after a while. This will keep on happening if charging is maintained. Having said that, based on the feedback above it seems the best way forward for us at BlueNova would be to actually test the batteries with the peripheral hardware mentioned. I will relay the message this coming Monday.