Official Home Alarm Discussion Thread

rodga

Executive Member
The charger in Paradox SP6000 and EVO is an intelligent charger
Every 60 seconds, it will disconnect the charge circuit and measure the battery
If the battery is low, but above the "low battery reporting voltage" (about 11.8 VDC) it will lengthen the charge time until the battery reaches 12.4 VDC
This is the subject of a US and Canadian patent registered by Paradox

Then: Charge current, which can be 350mA or 700mA
If you wish to increase this to 700mA, the transformer must be at least 50VA
700mA will not shorten the life of a 7 a/h battery, since the spec is a charging rate up to 2.5 amps

The purpose of having a 350mA charger is that the normal spec for an alarm in North America is a 4.5 a/h battery. They have a more reliable electricity supply. The engineer at Paradox in Montreal told me that the electricity supply there has never been interrupted since AC power was introduced in 1898

A li-ion battery is an excellent substitute for gel lead-acid. It has a built in battery management system which will mimic the attributes of a lead-acid

I have fitted over 20 li-ion batteries (I got them from Blue Nova in Somerset West). Without fail, they have performed very well and are highly recommended

Mind you, the longest load-shedding period in most of the Western Cape seems to be 3 hours
Hi Chris

How do I go about changing the mg5050 to charge 700mah? I have the tm50 and access to babyware/ip150. I've only seen instructions using the normal keypad.

chrisc

Executive Member
Go to programming on the keypad:
MENU
SYSTEM SETUP
ADVANCED
PROGRAM THIS UNIT

The location for charge current is 700. Option 2 = OFF is 350mA. Option 2 = ON is 700mA

mtlost

I'm mulling over an alarm kit. Common sense dictates that bounded media (hardwired copper) trumps unbounded media (wireless). Yet all consumers today (and therefore vendors) seem to be in favour of wireless kit (433 / 868 Mhz). Apart from the threat actors having access to cheap hardware (SDRs can be built from cheap usb powered DVB-T tuners), the home that I want to protect in a flight path of a popular airport, and a shopping centre parking lot, and interference (or jamming) is rife. Residents sometimes have trouble opening garage doors and vehicles. So, I am not in favour of wireless "solutions", however good they may be, and however great their "anti-jamming" features may be. Perhaps I'm old school, but that's how I roll (and possibly why I have managed to live this long :ROFL:).

Extensibility and reliability is important, standard size 3 bed home, multiple entry points (and therefore zones) plus the ability to upgrade to cameras at a later stage. Home automation integration would be great (via a gateway and segregated network).
Proprietary solutions :( will not be considered at all, only mainstream, standards-based kit, with ability to accept a wide range of non-proprietary sensors.
Cabling preferably standards-based structured cabling (like CAT 5e). Secure, standards-based strong authentication (2 factor) between sensors and controller/s. Cryptographically secured transport of auth secrets as well as video footage during transport, storage integrity secured using PBKDF2 / Bcrypt and /or SHA256 or better.
And whilst I am probably capable of installing it, I'd like someone trustworthy and competent to install it for me.

I'd also like to ability to monitor it and record remotely (without incurring a ridiculous R110 pm monitoring fee for a silly cloud-based app that only uses single factor U/P authentication :eek:).

I'd also like both a primary and secondary channel for the monitoring service (something like Fibre Internet plus LTE wireless backup).

At the risk of stating the obvious, it need to work during loadshedding (and have a sustainable energy backup to work with 100% functionality during stage 8 loadshedding).

So, here are my questions:

1. What "hard wired" technologies should I be looking at? and
2. Who in Gauteng , Johannesburg are capable/competent to install it (without it catching fire and/or setting off false alarms)?;

Or am I forced to roll my own (on a small multi SBC platform)?
farkit dude.......what are you trying to hide/protect?

Have you ever seen a thieve in SA jamming your alarm before they break in (not talking about remote jamming your car)?

They come with a gwala, break open everything between them and your tv, take it, load it in a car and drive of in less than 1-2min. They don't care about SDR and jamming etc. Brute force and relying on a response time of more than 3min from your armed response company.

Your best bet is probably a flight ticket out of here if that is your alarm requirements.

mtlost

I went with a similar setup that I use on my fiber router, Airties and Raspberry Pi servers. Sherlotronics 6.4Amp battery backup. 18Ah battery and a charge current of up to 3 Amp. Plenty juice and the 3A charge current will definitely be enough to put in what was taken out during loadshedding.
Ran into a slight snag this past weekend........connecting everything up is not as straight forward. Didn't think everything through and haven't found a solution..........................yet, but I will.

I can connect the radio, olarm, all the PIR and zone expanders to the new battery pack, but the panel will still rely on the 7Ah battery. This might buy me some time on the 7Ah battery, but not as much as I would have hoped for.

Does anybody know if there is a way to disable the onboard battery charger? I can remove the regulator but I guess this will influence the startup of the panel (requires AC to boot). Will investigate further and keep info up to date if I found a solution.

I guess the lithium is probably the best and easiest option.

kyuubi64

Ran into a slight snag this past weekend........connecting everything up is not as straight forward. Didn't think everything through and haven't found a solution..........................yet, but I will.

I can connect the radio, olarm, all the PIR and zone expanders to the new battery pack, but the panel will still rely on the 7Ah battery. This might buy me some time on the 7Ah battery, but not as much as I would have hoped for.

Does anybody know if there is a way to disable the onboard battery charger? I can remove the regulator but I guess this will influence the startup of the panel (requires AC to boot). Will investigate further and keep info up to date if I found a solution.

I guess the lithium is probably the best and easiest option.
There should be an output that you send to the aux output on your panel, so when ac power is lost it automatically powers your PIR, keypad, etc... Not meant to e connected directly to the 18ah battery.

kyuubi64

There should be an output that you send to the aux output on your panel, so when ac power is lost it automatically powers your PIR, keypad, etc... Not meant to e connected directly to the 18ah battery.
IMG_20200225_060203.jpg
Just an example of a damaged one I was playing around with over the weekend. You should use the power from the chocolate blocks and not the batt.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Well, I'm taking the plunge and upgrading my current alarm system which has been practically destroyed by various rat infestations that are driving us crazy. Due to that, going wireless as it cost us a fortune to re-wire and we done it a few times. Got a private contractor who is known in the family to do it for us and from what I've seen, prices are reasonable.

System consists of

1 x Paradox panel and control unit with lcd sceen inc two PIR
1 x IP150 link
5 x PIR
1 x "garage" PIR ( I assume a larger robust unit as its twice the price of the others )
4 x Door contacts
5 x labour hrs.

All in R17.3k

mtlost

Well, I'm taking the plunge and upgrading my current alarm system which has been practically destroyed by various rat infestations that are driving us crazy. Due to that, going wireless as it cost us a fortune to re-wire and we done it a few times. Got a private contractor who is known in the family to do it for us and from what I've seen, prices are reasonable.

System consists of

1 x IP150 link
5 x PIR
1 x "garage" PIR ( I assume a larger robust unit as its twice the price of the others )
4 x Door contacts
5 x labour hrs.

All in R17.3k
Price the stuff on Alarmtec and Sawyer security and compare.

chickenbeef

Executive Member

System consists of

1 x IP150 link
5 x PIR
4 x Door contacts
5 x labour hrs.

All in R17.3k
Not sure what that 5 hours of labour is going to cost but wireless is so easy to do you can DIY it.

Last edited:

Kosmik

Honorary Master
The sensors are all within rands of each other based off Alarmtecs prices , some more, some less by a few rands , less than 10. The panel and alarm itself are made up of a couple of components that he lumped into one line but if I take the breakdown it also looks similarly priced.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
The sensors are all within rands of each other based off Alarmtecs prices , some more, some less by a few rands , less than 10. The panel and alarm itself are made up of a couple of components that he lumped into one line but if I take the breakdown it also looks similarly priced.
I'd just pay him to do it then and be done with it.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I'd just pay him to do it then and be done with it.
Pretty much my thought as well. I'll be happy to play around once the IP is setup but in all honesty, I just need to fixed and working and from what I can see, it's not ripping the ring even though it is expensive.

billy786

Anyone recently purchased an olarm unit? Price on alarm tec is R913 excl. delivery so just want to check if that's reasonable.

Buckslip

Off topic...
Has anyone fitted a Securiprod PS49-2 external PSU (or similar) to their alarm – I have a Paradox MG5050 in a holiday home and the loadshedding it not allowing the 7.2AH battery enough time to recover – I want to fit this PS49-2 (5 amp charger and 17AH battery). My question is won't the system detect it's no longer charging the battery (as the PS49-2 will take care of that) and raise an error/trouble? Any experience/advice appreciated.

Chris_SA

Expert Member
@falcon786
Yes - it plugs into the serial port.
I called some of the companies listed on the olarm website for more information and pricing. They didn't know about olarm and even more surprised that their details were listed on website.

Ok so let's say I purchase it from alarm tec, what about the sim card, monthly fees etc?