Official Home Alarm Discussion Thread

Kosmik

Honorary Master
New system installed, works beautifully, wireless running on the 866Mhz not 433Mhz. Only glitch was that the supplier sent the board through with an updated firmware but the installers had yet to receive the updated package for their software. That gave him grief when configuring but

The system is a Magellan 5050. Also like the fact that the sensors run on standard AA batteries. Easy to source and replace when needed.

rodga

Executive Member
Off topic...
Has anyone fitted a Securiprod PS49-2 external PSU (or similar) to their alarm – I have a Paradox MG5050 in a holiday home and the loadshedding it not allowing the 7.2AH battery enough time to recover – I want to fit this PS49-2 (5 amp charger and 17AH battery). My question is won't the system detect it's no longer charging the battery (as the PS49-2 will take care of that) and raise an error/trouble? Any experience/advice appreciated.
My installer installed a sherlo psu with battery backup in addition to the standard paradox battery backup. He split the power to the different components. So almost like a 50/50 split. Worked fine but after last years load shedding the batteries wouldn't last the 2,5 hour load shedding. I just recently replaced the batteries with lifepo4 drop in replacements. A few days later load Sheering was cancelled.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
My installer installed a sherlo psu with battery backup in addition to the standard paradox battery backup. He split the power to the different components. So almost like a 50/50 split. Worked fine but after last years load shedding the batteries wouldn't last the 2,5 hour load shedding. I just recently replaced the batteries with lifepo4 drop in replacements. A few days later load Sheering was cancelled.
Couldn't you have just wired an additional battery in parallel? Give you twice as much longevity.

Buckslip

Couldn't you have just wired an additional battery in parallel? Give you twice as much longevity.
I had thought about that but from what I gather the problem is not only the battery capacity but also the charging rate on the paradox charger – two batteries will take even longer to get to full charge – the SecuriProd unti has a 5A charger built in.

Buckslip

Ah, Sod's law, good to know the system performed though.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I had thought about that but from what I gather the problem is not only the battery capacity but also the charging rate on the paradox charger – two batteries will take even longer to get to full charge – the SecuriProd unti has a 5A charger built in.
True it will take longer to charge but I suppose it depends on your loadshedding interval. If it was regular with consistent offs then you'd be in trouble but if your schedule had gaps , the two would carry you until the longer period when it could charge for longer. Either way, you'd need a second battery but not a bad idea to upgrade the charger if you are on a permanent dual battery system.

billy786

Alarmtec told me that once they send the unit and I load the app, it will allow me to pay via the app. R1 099 for a 24 month subscription.

An mtn and vodacom sim is provided by Olarm in the unit.

I have one installed in my alarm which is paid for by my alarm company as part of my monitoring fee but I am going to cancel due to bad service..... Hence, I want to buy my own unit and install it.

Chris_SA

Expert Member
Alarmtec told me that once they send the unit and I load the app, it will allow me to pay via the app. R1 099 for a 24 month subscription.

An mtn and vodacom sim is provided by Olarm in the unit.

I have one installed in my alarm which is paid for by my alarm company as part of my monitoring fee but I am going to cancel due to bad service..... Hence, I want to buy my own unit and install it.
I have mailed olarm a couple of times, they never respond which doesn't instill confidence in them...

1099 for 24 months isn't bad. Do you know if the unit needs a seperate power point or does it get power from alarm?

Last edited:

mtlost

I have mailed olarm a couple of times, they never respond which doesn't instill confidence in them...

1099 for 24 months isn't bad. Do you know if the unit needs a seperate power point or does it get power from alarm?
Power comes from the panel. One plug to plug into the MG5050 panel for power and coms (standard serial).

The olarm works really well, I very seldom use the keypad. My subscription is through the alarm company.

Chris_SA

Expert Member
Power comes from the panel. One plug to plug into the MG5050 panel for power and coms (standard serial).

The olarm works really well, I very seldom use the keypad. My subscription is through the alarm company.
Thanks. I can see where using my phone will be very useful. Just need to win the cost fight with myself.

Can you change Zone names on Olarm or you have to do this via babyware and IP module?

mtlost

Thanks. I can see where using my phone will be very useful. Just need to win the cost fight with myself.

Can you change Zone names on Olarm or you have to do this via babyware and IP module?
Not sure about the names. I know that you can pull the names from the panel, not sure about the other way around.

You can even use pictures as background for every zone, so pic of the front door for that zone, pic of the garage for the garage zone etc.

I know they are working on some other functionality as well, but looks like it's slow going for now.

Russell S

I have put 2 batteries in parallel on my Paradox system and have had no problems. Your solution is definitely better though.

llap

My 2c worth...
Provide power to beams and sensors via an independent power source...not from the alarm panel. These are the high-draw components, esp during load shedding.

This is what I used and it works just great...no false triggering due to voltage drops.
Now the alarm motherboard only has to power the keypads and 1 or 2 indoor sensors that are close by...well within the 350mA spec of an Evo192 Paradox.

Thorium

farkit dude.......what are you trying to hide/protect?

Have you ever seen a thieve in SA jamming your alarm before they break in (not talking about remote jamming your car)?

They come with a gwala, break open everything between them and your tv, take it, load it in a car and drive of in less than 1-2min. They don't care about SDR and jamming etc. Brute force and relying on a response time of more than 3min from your armed response company.

Your best bet is probably a flight ticket out of here if that is your alarm requirements.
Thanks, as I thought, better to roll my own than depend on a so-called security company, they are selling rubbish.

jezzad

Hello all you alarm experts, I had a Paradox system installed in December.

Im really new to alarm systems but technically minded and willing to learn.

I have a TM70 control panel linked to the system as well as the Inside Gold App on my phone

Last night I got a warning on my phone

“Missing Module TM70” with the time dat and the SN of the device.

The screen on my control panel is now completely dead and doesn’t wake when I touch it.

We have had no power cuts or load shedding

Anyone have an idea of what this could be and how to fix it?

jezzad

Hello all you alarm experts, I had a Paradox system installed in December.

Im really new to alarm systems but technically minded and willing to learn.

I have a TM70 control panel linked to the system as well as the Inside Gold App on my phone

Last night I got a warning on my phone

“Missing Module TM70” with the time dat and the SN of the device.

The screen on my control panel is now completely dead and doesn’t wake when I touch it.

We have had no power cuts or load shedding

Anyone have an idea of what this could be and how to fix it?
Rebooted the entire system and that fixed it. “Have you tried switching it off and on?"

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I have a question RE: Paradox areas. I'm busy adding more outside beams, etc. I'm thinking of using the areas functionality - and putting the outdoor stuff into its own area.

We have scenarious where, for example - I've put beams in the back yard where the dogs roam - so it's currently only active when sleep armed, but I'd also like the ability to arm it in certain scenarious with the stay arm (i.e. dogs are inside) - is that possible with Paradox, or am I going to have to bypass the zone?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I have a question RE: Paradox areas. I'm busy adding more outside beams, etc. I'm thinking of using the areas functionality - and putting the outdoor stuff into its own area.

We have scenarious where, for example - I've put beams in the back yard where the dogs roam - so it's currently only active when sleep armed, but I'd also like the ability to arm it in certain scenarious with the stay arm (i.e. dogs are inside) - is that possible with Paradox, or am I going to have to bypass the zone?
From my recent install, you can configure each level of arm with zones but you can also configure two areas (on mine) with their own zones independently. My installer asked if I wanted multiple areas and outside breams was a question. I'm sure you could do a stay ask global and a stay ask by area. Especially off the app.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
From my recent install, you can configure each level of arm with zones but you can also configure two areas (on mine) with their own zones independently. My installer asked if I wanted multiple areas and outside breams was a question. I'm sure you could do a stay ask global and a stay ask by area. Especially off the app.
Thats what I'm hoping - the configuration is confusing though... also have to areas.

I don't use the Paradox app - but do have control via home-assistant... so I could also hack it that way, but would prefer some native way of specifying what and how to arm.