Official "Interesting pictures" thread - Part Three

Daisy Cloudskitter

Expert Member
Glowworm Tunnel (Australia)

A colony of glowworms—one of the largest in all of New South Wales—moved in and made its home on the roof. The insects illuminate the stale, inky air like a constellation of blue-green stars.

View attachment 765664

View attachment 765666
^^^ Beautiful. That glow reminded me of Bioluminescent Phytoplankton. This pic was somewhere in the Persian Gulf ..

johncgalloway

As an Afrikaans speaker I was always confused when i heard people quoting "miljard" figures on the news but never bothered to look into it.

Turns out the Afrikaans Biljoen is not the same as the English Billion.

View attachment 765502
Should standardise

I generally accepted billion throughout means the same... in any even it will standardise here as well since the world commerce is driven in English.

rambo919

Executive Member
Should standardise

I generally accepted billion throughout means the same... in any even it will standardise here as well since the world commerce is driven in English.
There we have the problem of English peoples using both short and long scales depending on area. It's like Imperial and Metric....

SAguy

Expert Member
Should standardise

My Afrikaans is above average for an English raised guy, but I didn't know this... Now I wonder how many Afrikaans people I confused over the years since my Afrikaans is good enough for the listener to assume I know the difference.

cn@

Expert Member
That wine cellar … two posts above … would only be a dream if it had a mix of Australian, South African, French, Spanish and Californian wine.

johncgalloway

That wine cellar … two posts above … would only be a dream if it had a mix of Australian, South African, French, Spanish and Californian wine.
The style makes me think of a shop though.

Also, I swear I've seen a house where the wine cellar is underneath the kitchen and accessible via a hatch in the kitchen floor. (Almost like a sunken pantry)