Official Manchester United Supporters' Thread Part 4

cenredash

Expert Member
The "clean" sheet with Tuanzebe, Lindelof and Shaw in the middle of defence was the most impressive part for me. Wan-Bissaka was excellent.

Looking forward to Tuanzebe getting more game time - he looked better than Maguire has in recent weeks.

We've always got a chance of scoring against teams that play ball - it's our defence that I worry about most.

Yes, Maguire has been undroppable all of last season, and so maybe there's a sense of tiredness or complacency or both creeping into his game. The fact that we're winning and being decent at the back without him can only be good for us.

I think they'll probably go three at the back against Chelsea, Leipzig and Arsenal too. But what a run of matches we have.

PSG, Chelsea, Leipzig, Arsenal. The kind of run that is either going to embed Ole or bring out the OleOut crowd in force.

I'd be very happy taking 6 points into the double header with Istanbul Baseksehir.

shiverz

Expert Member
And last time we beat them with 10 players injured. The majority of fans I've spoken to were not getting carried away.

For where we are, that was a good performance against a team with supremely talented forwards. They had chances but DDG was on form, and it felt like all players showed intensity (that should be the minimum requirement for a MUFC team), understood their tactical roles, and were able to switch to new roles when the change of formation and substitutions came. Ole's weakness is the tactical side, but this performance was on point, maybe it wasn't a great mystery on how to play given the way PSG plays, but it worked last night.
Indeed. I felt like United needed a proper striker and they got that in Cavani, for now anyway. There were moments when Bruno gave top quality passes and Rashford and Martial passed up the opportunities last night.

Agreed last night it was hard work and tactics that won the night. When Pogba came on and the formation changed, the entire momentum of the game swung almost instantly. United's problem has been consistency. Let's see what happens against Chelsea.

On a side note I would be a very frustrated player or fan if Neymar was on my team. He takes too many touches, too many tricks and he barely works hard to win the ball back.

Also it was nice to see Di Maria getting booted around.

cenredash

Expert Member
Indeed. I felt like United needed a proper striker and they got that in Cavani, for now anyway. There were moments when Bruno gave top quality passes and Rashford and Martial passed up the opportunities last night.

Agreed last night it was hard work and tactics that won the night. When Pogba came on and the formation changed, the entire momentum of the game swung almost instantly. United's problem has been consistency. Let's see what happens against Chelsea.

On a side note I would be a very frustrated player or fan if Neymar was on my team. He takes too many touches, too many tricks and he barely works hard to win the ball back.

Also it was nice to see Di Maria getting booted around.

Your mention of Cavani reminded me about one of the most pleasing aspects of a United debutant last night, Telles going straight to take corners. His crosses seem to have a lot of whip and accuracy, something that has been a bit missing in the last while. I know rashford, bruno and mata can also cross well, but those are the folks i want in and around the box to poach some goals from the confusion a good cross can bring.

fishfly

Honorary Master
Your mention of Cavani reminded me about one of the most pleasing aspects of a United debutant last night, Telles going straight to take corners. His crosses seem to have a lot of whip and accuracy, something that has been a bit missing in the last while. I know rashford, bruno and mata can also cross well, but those are the folks i want in and around the box to poach some goals from the confusion a good cross can bring.
That is where Cavani comes in... Cavani will definitely poach those chances created while Martial and RAshford seem to want to just run at defenders... how many times did we see against PSG AWB pushes past the defender only to have no one to cross the ball to...

greg0205

Honorary Master
Pardon the intrusion into United World boys, but I wanted to share two things...

First, the best thing I've seen on the Internet this week:

Second, I hope he scores a brace or more against Chelsea today.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Pardon the intrusion into United World boys, but I wanted to share two things...

Yeah he's a top lad. At least we know he has a future in politics when his playing days are over. I'd vote for him.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Game hasn't gotten out of 3rd gear but the battle in the middle of the park has been fascinating. McTominay and Fred have been good...Kante is top class.

cenredash

Expert Member

Thanks for the jinxing.

fishfly

Honorary Master
I wonder why OGS was so reserved against Chelsea... perhaps he didn't want to end up with another defeat at Old Trafford again, not bringing on DVB or PP or AT showed he just wanted to avoid defeat rather than taking the game to Chelsea... or perhaps he is reserving the players for the midweek Leipzig match

fishfly

Honorary Master
Wow that was some devastating tactics... let RBL attack in the first 20 minutes drain them with impregnable defence then hit them with pace and productive direct attacking football..

Splinter

Honorary Master
The commentators are all raving about Rashford and Greenwood. Fred was awesome. Made Pogba and Van de Beet look static.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Wow that was some devastating tactics... let RBL attack in the first 20 minutes drain them with impregnable defence then hit them with pace and productive direct attacking football..

I dunno what you were watching - United were trying all sorts of close and quick passing.

cenredash

Expert Member
He was awesome breaking up play but his passing was poor...
You know what. You're right. His passing is poor. We've known that for a while. But for at least the last 18 months he's brought the energy, the press, the harrying the opposition midfielders to a man. With the right tactics and support players he will be the brick upon which we will build a lot of wins. And he did it without getting a yellow card.

That's why it's a team game. It's very seldom you can say give me a team of X and I'll win you the league.

Maybe a team of Dennis Irwins or a team of Roy Keanes. But no one in this team is like that.

Fred at the right of left of the diamond midfield will give you a box to box ball winning CM. Maybe 3 assists the whole season, and a goal every other year, but I'll take him.

What last night showed was that Donny isn't the tip of the diamond, not now at least.

If we play the midfield diamond. It's matic, or McTom at the base. Fred and pogba or Donny as the CM. Bruno for the 10.

And two of Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Cavani.

Which leaves Mata, James and Jlingz really struggling to fit this formation. Except Jesse and Mata can probably be tried as the 10.

fishfly

Honorary Master
You know what. You're right. His passing is poor. We've known that for a while. But for at least the last 18 months he's brought the energy, the press, the harrying the opposition midfielders to a man. With the right tactics and support players he will be the brick upon which we will build a lot of wins. And he did it without getting a yellow card.

That's why it's a team game. It's very seldom you can say give me a team of X and I'll win you the league.

Maybe a team of Dennis Irwins or a team of Roy Keanes. But no one in this team is like that.

Fred at the right of left of the diamond midfield will give you a box to box ball winning CM. Maybe 3 assists the whole season, and a goal every other year, but I'll take him.

What last night showed was that Donny isn't the tip of the diamond, not now at least.

If we play the midfield diamond. It's matic, or McTom at the base. Fred and pogba or Donny as the CM. Bruno for the 10.

And two of Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Cavani.

Which leaves Mata, James and Jlingz really struggling to fit this formation. Except Jesse and Mata can probably be tried as the 10.
actually I think you dismissing DVB a bit too hastily... he was deployed to help break up play from the front - like I said it looks to me OGS wanted Leipzig to burn up all that energy in the first half playing with that crazy intensity. This is likely why Fernandes didn't start.
OGS used Pogba very well by holding up play and moving the ball quickly plus he was also getting stuck in defensively. The entire team was tasked to get stuck in and win the ball from the front, AWB and Shaw didn't push up much in the first 20 minutes while we recycled the ball quickly.
Once we contained them and tired them out, Rashford, Fernandes and Mctominy came on (Matic looked like he was one tackle away from a red card).

Another notable mention AWB had both Angeliño and Forsberg in his pocket last night - not on the same level as Mbappe/Neymar but these two had 0 chance of getting past AWB - what a immense player

JLingz and Mata can play in the league cup :D James needs to boost his confidence

Cavani with his half a chance (although offside) actually scored... I think with the pace and intensity of the rest of the team it will give him chances to score a few this season. He does tend to stretch the defence with his movement off the ball. My only gripe with him is he often get into very good positions and create openings his goal to chances created ratio is rather low

Last edited:

cenredash

Expert Member
actually I think you dismissing DVB a bit too hastily... he was deployed to help break up play from the front - like I said it looks to me OGS wanted Leipzig to burn up all that energy in the first half playing with that crazy intensity. This is likely why Fernandes didn't start.

Agree with most everything you say, and yes, totally feel that we played a 90 minute game. I don't agree with people that feel that the changes are any indication of how the game should have started. I think we plotted the game over the time, including when the replacements would come in, it all seemed to a plan. Granted, the right result was on the board when the changes came, that helps a lot.

I wasn't trying to dismiss DVB, and i think his role in the first 60 mins was very different to the role bruno could adopt, given the timing of the game, the match situation and the personnel and approach of both teams at those times. And i do think he performed well. But for me at the moment he isn't the master creator that bruno is, that mata can be, and that pogba should be.

That assist from Bruno to Rashford for his first goal - I don't know how many players could have seen that to be on.

For me DVB has a role, for now, perhaps as seemingly unglamarous as fred (but also as a nicky butt, phil neville, john o shea (250+ appearances each) or a darren fletcher (223 appearances)) upon which great teams are built.

fishfly

Honorary Master
Agree with most everything you say, and yes, totally feel that we played a 90 minute game. I don't agree with people that feel that the changes are any indication of how the game should have started. I think we plotted the game over the time, including when the replacements would come in, it all seemed to a plan. Granted, the right result was on the board when the changes came, that helps a lot.

I wasn't trying to dismiss DVB, and i think his role in the first 60 mins was very different to the role bruno could adopt, given the timing of the game, the match situation and the personnel and approach of both teams at those times. And i do think he performed well. But for me at the moment he isn't the master creator that bruno is, that mata can be, and that pogba should be.

That assist from Bruno to Rashford for his first goal - I don't know how many players could have seen that to be on.

For me DVB has a role, for now, perhaps as seemingly unglamarous as fred (but also as a nicky butt, phil neville, john o shea (250+ appearances each) or a darren fletcher (223 appearances)) upon which great teams are built.
Yeah I noticed when Mata plays with Fernandes the team is much more creative, whereas James with Fernandes feels disjointed.

DVB seems to be used as a break up play strategy with a hint of attacking nous provided if Rashford and Martial is playing. Also seems to me OGS used the Chelsea game to tighten up the defence in order to hit this performance against a fast paced Leipzig and completely shut them out.

I wonder how OGS will play against Arsenal this weekend...

cenredash

Expert Member
Yeah I noticed when Mata plays with Fernandes the team is much more creative, whereas James with Fernandes feels disjointed.

DVB seems to be used as a break up play strategy with a hint of attacking nous provided if Rashford and Martial is playing. Also seems to me OGS used the Chelsea game to tighten up the defence in order to hit this performance against a fast paced Leipzig and completely shut them out.

I wonder how OGS will play against Arsenal this weekend...

Smiling to myself thinking about Ole using weekend games against top six challengers as training games to try out things for mid week champions league games.