Official Manchester United Supporters' Thread Part 4

fishfly

Honorary Master
Smiling to myself thinking about Ole using weekend games against top six challengers as training games to try out things for mid week champions league games.
I don't think it's planned but considering the lineup from Chelsea Havertz and Timo Werner with Pulisic, he went super defensive which had people complaining that we were playing at Old Trafford why was he happy to settle for a 0-0 draw etc

Looks like Tellas tested positive for Covid-19

cenredash

Expert Member
I don't think it's planned but considering the lineup from Chelsea Havertz and Timo Werner with Pulisic, he went super defensive which had people complaining that we were playing at Old Trafford why was he happy to settle for a 0-0 draw etc

Looks like Tellas tested positive for Covid-19

After the PSG game I referenced Telles' crossing as a long overdue skillset that was missing from the side, then all of a sudden Luke Shaw pulls out a wicked cross that so surprised 4 united players that none of them could even apply a touch to, so big was their shock.

fishfly

Honorary Master
After the PSG game I referenced Telles' crossing as a long overdue skillset that was missing from the side, then all of a sudden Luke Shaw pulls out a wicked cross that so surprised 4 united players that none of them could even apply a touch to, so big was their shock.
Nah Martial reacted to it but missed and the others were defenders :D

Honestly I believe Cavani, Tellas, Henderson is pushing the existing crop of players to perform better, you can see Rashford's finishing is a tad more aggressive than we use to. DDG is pulling off harder saves which he has been gifting last season, Shaw is actually defending for once and making sure he gets back to defend or at least break up play so we not exposed

cenredash

Expert Member
Nah Martial reacted to it but missed and the others were defenders :D

Honestly I believe Cavani, Tellas, Henderson is pushing the existing crop of players to perform better, you can see Rashford's finishing is a tad more aggressive than we use to. DDG is pulling off harder saves which he has been gifting last season, Shaw is actually defending for once and making sure he gets back to defend or at least break up play so we not exposed

Totally agree. Sergio Romero as much as I loved his attitude for always being very good whenever called upon, wasn't banging on the door demanding a first team chance like Henderson is, and I think that is good for De Gea, who needed a new challenge. He isn't making clangers, which is a great sign.

Shaw has also stepped up, apart from falling apart against Spurs .. his positioning in that game was terrible, but I don't mind defensive full backs like him and AWB as long as we know that's what we're getting with them. That means the CM's on either side of the diamond don't need to fall back and actually commit to their CM roles. I also saw we were happy with the low block and pushing just the defender out to cover the wide player. Was such a nice compact defensive formation - so maybe what happened against spurs is a good thing. Ole seems to step up his gameplan when faced with OleOut!

fishfly

Honorary Master
Totally agree. Sergio Romero as much as I loved his attitude for always being very good whenever called upon, wasn't banging on the door demanding a first team chance like Henderson is, and I think that is good for De Gea, who needed a new challenge. He isn't making clangers, which is a great sign.

Shaw has also stepped up, apart from falling apart against Spurs .. his positioning in that game was terrible, but I don't mind defensive full backs like him and AWB as long as we know that's what we're getting with them. That means the CM's on either side of the diamond don't need to fall back and actually commit to their CM roles. I also saw we were happy with the low block and pushing just the defender out to cover the wide player. Was such a nice compact defensive formation - so maybe what happened against spurs is a good thing. Ole seems to step up his gameplan when faced with OleOut!
Yeah but somehow I feel it's not really Shaw's fault - he does get told to push higher up and then the likes of Maguire/Pogba/Fred/Mctominy has to vacate their position to cover for Shaw's absence. With the compact shape and the less forward venture from the full backs and higher up the pitch defensive work we haven't been caught out as badly

cenredash

Expert Member
I'm hoping there's a reason why we are deliberately trying to slow down the pace of the game early on.

Going with the double pivot at the back to stifle is one thing, but slow passing out from the back under all circumstances forcing de Gea to clear to the left and promptly losing the ball.

cenredash

Expert Member
Why play with intensity for 90.mins when you can play with intensity for 10 mins? Because that's how you lose games.

Hope ole learns his lesson.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Recorded the game....will watch a bit later but my brother already told me the score :cautious:

cenredash

Expert Member
Dunno looked to me like he had nothing and no plan B
I can't comment on whether there was no plan or just no execution.

What I do know is there was no passion and no intensity. We didn't seem interested in attacking, just playing out from the back is what they seemed intent on doing.

Lostboy

The lack of passion or fight for the win, was just unforgivable for me.

The way our heads drop when things don't go our way is just rediculous.

Yes you won't play every game the way you played against PSG or RB Liepzig, but you sure as hell keep fighting and trying.

Arsenal played the hearts out to get that win. Just look at Elneny, still running and giving his all till the 90th minute!!

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Seems like they're up for European football and then the league is an afterthought.

Best pull finger or else there won't be any European nights next season to look forward to.

cenredash

Expert Member
Seems like they're up for European football and then the league is an afterthought.

Best pull finger or else there won't be any European nights next season to look forward to.

could be quite an interesting relegation battle though!

Lostboy

Side to side for 80 mins, then long ball and hope for the last 10 mins.

I just can't do this anymore... our tactics is so wrong most times.

Hell I don't know half the time what our tactics is or supposed to achieve