Official Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread

For some reason I am very nervous always before a game, but the first 10mins always give me a feeling if we are gevok or not...

So what did your gut tell you during the first 10 minutes against the USA? :p You must've been watching the game from the toilet!

So what did your gut tell you during the first 10 minutes against the USA? :p You must've been watching the game from the toilet!

Nah... 10mins in we were 7 - 0 ahead. You could see the way the guys were playing we would win... though at the point not as convincingly as it turned out

The Japan game means nought. It was one of those once off freaky matches, and in the context of the rest of RWCm can be dismissed as such.

Lol, Japan was better prepared than the Springboks. Japan has shown an enormous improvement since 2013, winning 10 matches in a row which included Wales (a team similar to which we will play) and Italy. They only lost games to the Maori's and New Zealand, and they nearly won the Maori's in their second game. Eddie played an experimental team in this year prior to the World Cup, which had a struggling tournament, and won their RWC warmups (except the World XV) with the same experimental team against Georgia and Uruguay.

Japan won an average Springbok starting line-up in the pool, and played against a 1st selection Scottish, 1st selection Samoan and 1st selection American team.

Freaky match my arse.

Rugby countries like England, Wales and Ireland have strong conservative game plans and rely on their structured sets. England and Ireland has opened up into a hybrid game plan mixing up conservative and enterprising rugby, where modern English rugby opted to be more attacking-orientated. England interestingly chose to play conservative rugby against Wales to best suit a structured match.

Seeing how Wales played in their games, they simply don’t allow a team to push up the attacking tempo in order to disrupt their game plan. They might have new players on the team, but they will be conditioned to hold back the opposition going the whole 80 minutes. The Wallabies on the other hand also didn’t had it easy to break through… We will see how the Springboks handle the game.

Also, big or small margin, a win is a win. A losing team may had been the better team on the day under the circumstances, but there is still only one winner. Big margins are an indication on how badly the losing opposition was prepared on the day.

The game will be tight. Gatland has improved his mind-set applied to his matches, the one thing New Zealand coaches does well - they keep on learning.

And they only conceded 2 tries in the group stages - in the toughest group of all. Thus I agree. No way it'll be a blow-out in our favour.

Lol, Japan was better prepared than the Springboks. Japan has shown an enormous improvement since 2013, winning 10 matches in a row which included Wales (a team similar to which we will play) and Italy. They only lost games to the Maori's and New Zealand, and they nearly won the Maori's in their second game. Eddie played an experimental team in this year prior to the World Cup, which had a struggling tournament, and won their RWC warmups (except the World XV) with the same experimental team against Georgia and Uruguay.

Japan won an average Springbok starting line-up in the pool, and played against a 1st selection Scottish, 1st selection Samoan and 1st selection American team.

Freaky match my arse.

Their losses since 2014, before the world cup, last to first:

2015:
Japan 20 - 31 Tonga
Fiji 27 - 22 Japan
United States of America 23 - 18 Japan

2014:
Georgia 35 - 24 Japan

I'd rather call it the perfect storm and a freak result. Japan are nowhere near as good as we made them look.

My point exactly. The Boks thought they just need to pitch up at the stadium to win, they werent mentally prepared for the game. IMHO, best thing that could have happened to us in this RWC.

Their losses since 2014, before the world cup, last to first:

2015:
Japan 20 - 31 Tonga
Fiji 27 - 22 Japan
United States of America 23 - 18 Japan

2014:
Georgia 35 - 24 Japan

Japan had an issue as their coach, Eddie Jones, was absent during his appointment during selected terms in 2013 and early 2014 due to health reasons. Scott Wisemantel coached Japan during this time as an interim coach. Their late 2014 season also excluded their Super Rugby players, some during 2015 due to early release, and since Japan lacked a 31-man RWC squad Jones played an experimental team up to the Rugby World Cup to ready a squad. Michael Leitch also only took permanent captaincy when he concluded with his 2015 Super Rugby season.

I'd rather call it the perfect storm and a freak result. Japan are nowhere near as good as we made them look.

Only time will tell, or, when the Springboks will decide to play against Japan again. Australia has already prompted to play against Japan in Tokyo somewhere in 2016 which was accepted by the JRFU and I trust that this commitment will carry through.

My point exactly. The Boks thought they just need to pitch up at the stadium to win, they werent mentally prepared for the game. IMHO, best thing that could have happened to us in this RWC.

Is that not what I said?

Lol, Japan was better prepared than the Springboks.

I also said in a previous post, prior to that match, that the Springboks has never played the Japanese and will underestimate their improvement. JP Pietersen and Fourie du Preez supported this argument when the media went haywire with the Japanese victory.

But yah, enough about the Japanese, this discussion will only resume when they play another 1st tier nation again. I also don't expect the Sunwolves to have a good 2016 Super Rugby season... but I will support them.

I'm not nervous for the Wales game as opposed to previous World Cups. If we lose HM is out. He will be really nervous.

The problem I have is this; the Welsh have been legitimately tested by strong opposition, we haven't. I can't even say how good or bad we are. Freak loss to the Japanese, dismantling of what was a dreadful Samoan side and a total of maybe 60-minutes of pressure from the Scots and Yanks. The Welsh were run ragged by the Fijians, went to the wire with the English and played arguably the game of the tournament against the Aussies.

Saying that, the Boks should win and largely thanks to the Welsh continually having to replaced injured players. 23-16.

The problem I have is this; the Welsh have been legitimately tested by strong opposition, we haven't. I can't even say how good or bad we are. Freak loss to the Japanese, dismantling of what was a dreadful Samoan side and a total of maybe 60-minutes of pressure from the Scots and Yanks. The Welsh were run ragged by the Fijians, went to the wire with the English and played arguably the game of the tournament against the Aussies.

Saying that, the Boks should win and largely thanks to the Welsh continually having to replaced injured players. 23-16.

Rugby is a funny sport.

You can only play as good as your opponents are. I'm confident the Boks will show their calibre when matched against good competition. The fact that we haven't played good teams should not be a factor. I think we played brilliantly against Samoa as opposed to Japan and USA. Even the Scotland game was brilliant. And these are against formidable opponents. Just look at how we struggled against USA the first 1/2. Minnow teams are hard to play against. You can't weight your skills against matches like that.

I think the teams announced are quite good ones - but re the Springboks... All in all a good selection but I would have liked a few changes on the bench (most noticeably Page rather than Pienaar) - I think that we will win this rather convincingly... One change I think would have strengthened the team - Lambie at fullback is better than Le Roux at present... I like Le Roux - I just don't think he is currently playing his best rugby, while Lambie seldom plays really bad...

My predictions for the weekend:
South Africa should beat Wales convincingly - especially after the huge number of injury setbacks Wales had
Australia will beat Scotland by the proverbial mile...
New Zealand will beat France but will have a rather tough game... France has long since been the New Zealand hoodoo team in quarters and semis...
And finally... I think Argentina will have Ireland's number - but it might be the game to watch in the quarters... Argentina loves running the ball - they have flair and speed, while they also have got some excellent forwards with a good maul... Bosch is out which is sad... But, Ireland lost a lot of top players for the quarters - O'Connel is out and he was their captain, while O'Brien copped a 1-week ban and then there is Sexton who is in the team, but I don't think he is 100% fit after his injury (the Irish needs him badly which is why they picked him) Add to this O'Mahoney and Payne and Ireland is going to struggle...

So, I see the 4 Southern hemisphere teams in the semis... Should be interesting... And yes, I do believe that the second largest shock of the World Cup is on its way (only just beaten by the Boks losing against Japan) It will happen in the semi's when this same Bok side beat the All Blacks...

Japan had an issue as their coach, Eddie Jones, was absent during his appointment during selected terms in 2013 and early 2014 due to health reasons. Scott Wisemantel coached Japan during this time as an interim coach. Their late 2014 season also excluded their Super Rugby players, some during 2015 due to early release, and since Japan lacked a 31-man RWC squad Jones played an experimental team up to the Rugby World Cup to ready a squad. Michael Leitch also only took permanent captaincy when he concluded with his 2015 Super Rugby season.

Only time will tell, or, when the Springboks will decide to play against Japan again. Australia has already prompted to play against Japan in Tokyo somewhere in 2016 which was accepted by the JRFU and I trust that this commitment will carry through.

Is that not what I said?

I also said in a previous post, prior to that match, that the Springboks has never played the Japanese and will underestimate their improvement. JP Pietersen and Fourie du Preez supported this argument when the media went haywire with the Japanese victory.

But yah, enough about the Japanese, this discussion will only resume when they play another 1st tier nation again. I also don't expect the Sunwolves to have a good 2016 Super Rugby season... but I will support them.

If Japan were anywhere near as good as us, they would have done at least one of: beating Scotland by 20, Samoa by 40 or USA by at least 40. They didn't come close in any.

Which shows you. Freak result. It went pretty much against the grain, and our complacency was at an all-time high entering that match.

I think the teams announced are quite good ones - but re the Springboks... All in all a good selection but I would have liked a few changes on the bench (most noticeably Page rather than Pienaar) - I think that we will win this rather convincingly... One change I think would have strengthened the team - Lambie at fullback is better than Le Roux at present... I like Le Roux - I just don't think he is currently playing his best rugby, while Lambie seldom plays really bad...

My predictions for the weekend:
South Africa should beat Wales convincingly - especially after the huge number of injury setbacks Wales had
Australia will beat Scotland by the proverbial mile...
New Zealand will beat France but will have a rather tough game... France has long since been the New Zealand hoodoo team in quarters and semis...
And finally... I think Argentina will have Ireland's number - but it might be the game to watch in the quarters... Argentina loves running the ball - they have flair and speed, while they also have got some excellent forwards with a good maul... Bosch is out which is sad... But, Ireland lost a lot of top players for the quarters - O'Connel is out and he was their captain, while O'Brien copped a 1-week ban and then there is Sexton who is in the team, but I don't think he is 100% fit after his injury (the Irish needs him badly which is why they picked him) Add to this O'Mahoney and Payne and Ireland is going to struggle...

So, I see the 4 Southern hemisphere teams in the semis... Should be interesting... And yes, I do believe that the second largest shock of the World Cup is on its way (only just beaten by the Boks losing against Japan) It will happen in the semi's when this same Bok side beat the All Blacks...

Dude it is not going to happen, no matter how much you mention it :D

Apart from the Japan game where we were under pressure, all our other games was easy. If you think we will beat Wales easy, then you are mistaken. This will be a very tight affair and I have a sneaky feeling the Welsh will take it. They had more tougher games and handled pressure better then us. This will be a kicking affair. There will be 5-7 points in it.

Jut my 2c

/snip

Those were the days when my old man still played rugby. Check the tackle Urlich (#2) made on Williams (#15), that were legal in those days.

Do I have goosebumps because of the weather that's a bit chilly this morning... or this video!

Back