Official Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Aus deserved it but the Argies kept them on their toes until the end. Tough game, blood all over the place.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
The Bokke need a game maker and someone who can read the game.
It hurts to say this hating the Bulls but we need someone like Uli, Joost or a Bob Skinstad etc. The flair starts at the scrum for the line and we ain't got it.
All we got is power.

InternetSwag

Expert Member
The All Blacks beat us in the backline.

Dan Carter is probably the best #10 in the world.
Nonu runs over people all day and he can offload in the tackle.
They have SBW on the bench, I believe that he's the best backline player in the world and they can afford the luxury of using him as an impact player for only 20 minutes.
Ben Smith was punishing us the entire game.
Savea I don't even have to talk about him.

Compare this to JP Pieterson. I have never seen a South African backline player do anything even remotely similar to what the All Blacks have done every game so far this RWC, barring perhaps Habana.

JP scored a hat trick yeah but all of them were soft run in tries just coming off the line into the corner. Stephen Hawkings could have done that.

DanDango

Honorary Master
The All Blacks beat us in the backline.

Dan Carter is probably the best #10 in the world.
Nonu runs over people all day and he can offload in the tackle.
They have SBW on the bench, I believe that he's the best backline player in the world and they can afford the luxury of using him as an impact player for only 20 minutes.
Ben Smith was punishing us the entire game.
Savea I don't even have to talk about him.

Compare this to JP Pieterson. I have never seen a South African backline player do anything even remotely similar to what the All Blacks have done every game so far this RWC, barring perhaps Habana.

JP scored a hat trick yeah but all of them were soft run in tries just coming off the line into the corner. Stephen Hawkings could have done that.

We don't pass, so how good is our wing that get zero ball.

I had some time to process the game of Saturday and I think the scoreline really doesn't reflect the game.

The All Blacks really didn't play well. They didn't play their normal attacking game that we come to know so well.

We kicked away too much ball with absolute pointless kicks. At least Pollard could kick some goals and Habana was brilliant in the air, which made our pointless kicks a little less pointless. But as soon as he stopped catching them, it became apparent again that our tactical kicking was just up to it's normal schit self.

Fourie had a kark game, de Allende almost never saw the ball, nevermind anybody outside of him.

Our lineouts, o.my.god. Our lineouts. I was begging for Matfield to come on and sort that schit out, but even when he did, it still went to the dogs. They just read it every time perfectly.

At the time I didn't feel as bad. 2 points. Close call. But at this stage I'm bitterly disappointed. If we just played half as good as our best, we could've walked that game.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
That game makes it clear; brains > brawn.

As per usual, we just tried to send a giant ball-carrier up the gut time and again and it failed. It will work against every team not named New Zealand or Australia. We will forever be the bridesmaid as long as this is our bread and butter. We're the best Northern Hemisphere team in the world.

One tiny positive, we only conceded two tries while being utterly dominated in the possession and territory stats.

Cray

Honorary Master
That game makes it clear; brains > brawn.

As per usual, we just tried to send a giant ball-carrier up the gut time and again and it failed. It will work against every team not named New Zealand or Australia. We will forever be the bridesmaid as long as this is our bread and butter. We're the best Northern Hemisphere team in the world..

So true....

Arzy

Honorary Master
I say its time to send the old guard to the pasture, the buggers have done their time and deserve to go grazing.

Irrespective of the coach this opens between 7 and 10 positions.

There are enough young players putting up their hands now who can be groomed for the next world cup. Transformation doesn't even need to be mentioned as we have the players and they were overlooked in favour of geriatrics.

Start with the changes now. Trying it 3 years on isn't going to work. This may entail a year or two where we look **** but at least we are building a new style of team.

bokka1

Expert Member
I think that NZ will win it again, although the Aus coach is very smart and may surprise them I think the NZ team and bench are just too strong.

Hopefully we can play better and beat Argentina.

OMB

Mountain Man
If we want to get rid of HM perhaps losing to Argentina might not be a bad thing. We need a coach who can bring some creative flair to our game.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
If we want to get rid of HM perhaps losing to Argentina might not be a bad thing. We need a coach who can bring some creative flair to our game.

Yeah, and one that will stop coaching the creativity out of players, a la Serfontein. Used to be a strong, elusive runner in the mould of Nonu, but got it coached out of him and now just runs crash ball all the time.

Less Bulls rugby, more Lions rugby...

Pitbull

Verboten
After watching the game on Saturday I sat back and reflected on the game we played.

I'm in two minds about who's to blame for the type of rugby we played. Do we blame the coach for Pollard not kicking the ball out instead of punting it down the throats of the back 3 of NZ? Do we blame HM for Fourie du Preez doing the same thing?

There was no structure or idea behind the kicks. It was not to play territory or anything it was as if SA is scared to run the ball at then...

Habana really got some nice high ball grabs to make the kicks look like they working but they weren't. Apart from that I think they played ok. If we kept more ball away from NZ we would have won. Team selection for the RWC is also partly to blame, but do we blame HM or the politics in Rugby?
I do believe HM can still get the boks on the right track but he needs to re-evaluate his way of playing Rugby. And if he can't change and adapt then his time is over.

We need the type of rugby SA played back in the day. Sure bang them up front, smash them and be the best at the set pieces. But play the territory game by kicking to the corners and making sure they're out. Re group at the Line-out and go from there. I'm not sad or cross that we lost, I feel we could have done better if things were different. The boks got way further than I expected...

Should HM go? I don't think so. Give him another year and see what happens. But if he doesn't change his selection and the type of Rugby he wants them to play. Then his days are over. Who else would one select as coach? If you can tell me Jake White will be the next coach, then fire HM yesterday. If not, I think we don't have anyone better...

Seriously

Honorary Master
After watching the game on Saturday I sat back and reflected on the game we played.

I'm in two minds about who's to blame for the type of rugby we played. Do we blame the coach for Pollard not kicking the ball out instead of punting it down the throats of the back 3 of NZ? Do we blame HM for Fourie du Preez doing the same thing?

There was no structure or idea behind the kicks. It was not to play territory or anything it was as if SA is scared to run the ball at then...

Habana really got some nice high ball grabs to make the kicks look like they working but they weren't. Apart from that I think they played ok. If we kept more ball away from NZ we would have won. Team selection for the RWC is also partly to blame, but do we blame HM or the politics in Rugby?
I do believe HM can still get the boks on the right track but he needs to re-evaluate his way of playing Rugby. And if he can't change and adapt then his time is over.

We need the type of rugby SA played back in the day. Sure bang them up front, smash them and be the best at the set pieces. But play the territory game by kicking to the corners and making sure they're out. Re group at the Line-out and go from there. I'm not sad or cross that we lost, I feel we could have done better if things were different. The boks got way further than I expected...

Should HM go? I don't think so. Give him another year and see what happens. But if he doesn't change his selection and the type of Rugby he wants them to play. Then his days are over. Who else would one select as coach? If you can tell me Jake White will be the next coach, then fire HM yesterday. If not, I think we don't have anyone better...

Best summary I read so far. I concur 110%

Pitbull

Verboten
We scored 1 try, just 1 try in the QF and SF combined. That about sums it up for me

Exactly. It's pretty hard to score tries if you don't have the ball. When we do have the ball we kick it to them so they run it at us and we hope they make a mistake. That's not how you play rugby. You need to make things happen, not kick the ball away and hope fate has something in store for you and gifts you some luck when they are attacking. If you want to score tries you need to keep the ball in hand.