Official Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
I'm a supporter, through thick and thin. I've been a Lions supporter all my life. But this? I can't even...

I'll concede my vehemient support for them all this week has made me look like an arse. Even I can't anymore either.

czc

Honorary Master
That is how it works. There are a couple of contracted Springboks not even in the squad - Jan Serfontein, JJ Engelbrecht etc.

And age doesn't have much to do with this. Japan fielded their oldest side ever, one guy is 37. :)

So their most experienced team beat our most experienced team?

wizardofid

Executive Member
Well it kinda makes sense, so yeah.

And who are we kidding? Yes, Japan played well and fully deserve their victory, but it's not like we played like one of the top 3 teams in the world - clearly we aren't at the moment. If we played like we were supposed to be playing, they wouldn't have been within 20 points of us. Or do you think they'll be giving any other of the top 7 sides in the world a go anytime soon?

Doubt it very much, ENG, AUS, and NZ would have struggled as well, not saying they would have lost, but they would have had a difficult time.It was a tremendously fast paced game.

bavuma_rabada

Matfield looks like he's 57 :p

I thought he was retired already :eek:

I saw this somewhere...

BptMby5IcAAJQaq.jpg

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Doubt it very much, ENG, AUS, and NZ would have struggled as well, not saying they would have lost, but they would have had a difficult time.It was a tremendously fast paced game.

Japan’s biggest problem is that they have little money in their union structure, the corporations have very little interest, also an issue with them competing next year in the Super Rugby including to host the 2019 World Cup. This very victory, may change many minds in Japan. Should they be able to keep up with this over the next 4 years, how great will that World Cup be?

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Japan’s biggest problem is that they have little money in their union structure, the corporations have very little interest, also an issue with them competing next year in the Super Rugby including to host the 2019 World Cup. This very victory, may change many minds in Japan. Should they be able to keep up with this over the next 4 years, how great will that World Cup be?

By the amount of former Super Rugby players and coaches that go over there to play for a big increase in their pensions, I'd venture a guess that they're doing much better than us financially.

APoc184

Honorary Master

Nope.

This whole victory is due to all those things already changing years ago.

Government and corporations started pumping money into their rugby and getting world class players to come play there.

If you play against the world's best week in and week out it leaves you no option but to get better yourself.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
By the amount of former Super Rugby players and coaches that go over there to play for a big increase in their pensions, I'd venture a guess that they're doing much better than us financially.

Those are all privately owned teams, not the union itself.