Official Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
By the amount of former Super Rugby players and coaches that go over there to play for a big increase in their pensions, I'd venture a guess that they're doing much better than us financially.

The clubs which are owned have the money.

http://www.superxv.co.za/46878/1/japanese-super-rugby-side-falling-behind#.Vf22DdmqpHw

he deadline for the yet to be named Japanese Super Rugby franchise to sign players expires today and it is understood that they have not signed any players yet.

Super Rugby will expand from 15 to 18 teams next year with an extra team from Japan, Argentina and a sixth South African team.

The Japanese Super Rugby team is expected to be made up of Japanese Test players with a compliment of foreign or marquee players.

Japanese international players earn most of their wages from the company owned teams that they play for in Japan's Top League rather than the Japanese Rugby Union who will operate the new Super Rugby team.

"Without a doubt it's a serious issue which we need to monitor very closely," SANZAR chief executive Greg Peters told The Australian of the recruitment process.

The company (the corporations) owned teams don't want to support Super Rugby, neither the World Cup, mainly due to the Japanese rugby popularity outside Japan.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-rugby-world-cup-if-japan-lose-hosting-rights

The issue has arisen after World Rugby gave Japan until the end of September to come up with a “revised detailed host venue proposal” after it removed a new national stadium from its venue line-up amid huge cost overruns.

They need the corporations. There are other articles covering it in detail.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Japan’s biggest problem is that they have little money in their union structure, the corporations have very little interest, also an issue with them competing next year in the Super Rugby including to host the 2019 World Cup. This very victory, may change many minds in Japan. Should they be able to keep up with this over the next 4 years, how great will that World Cup be?

It also shows that rugby world cup has matured a lot, you can't write off the smaller teams any more, it would be even more exciting if these teams start making it into the QF's and semi's.I think it's bloodly marvelous.!!

My heart always go out to the thrashing these small teams get, regardless of being SA supporter Japan always had a special place for me, and have supported them since 1995 WC.I still remember watching their games in Esselen Park (kempton park), beer tents back in 1995. While it may sound unpatriotic I will be cheering them as well as the bokke.

crackersa

Honorary Master
Yeah I laughed at that. They had to quickly call Colin back and make up some bull**** excuse as to his absence. He must have been livid!

Shame. A deadbeat dad running from his responsibilities. Who would have guessed.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Nope.

This whole victory is due to all those things already changing years ago.

Government and corporations started pumping money into their rugby and getting world class players to come play there.

If you play against the world's best week in and week out it leaves you no option but to get better yourself.

I have already mentioned in this thread that Japanese union rugby has vastly improved over the last 3 years. Note, and interestingly enough, they played a younger team in the 2015 Pacific Cup.

Add to that they also have a Super Rugby team from next year.

Yes and no,

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/r...petition-as-well/story-fnibc42r-1227521800001

Japan team’s likely omission from Super Rugby could force Southern Kings out of competition as well

JAPAN’S hopes of making it to the starting line of Super Rugby next year still appear doomed, and their downfall may see the Southern Kings withdraw from the expanded competition as well.

Japan’s new franchise has struggled to get off the ground this year due to an inability to sign players, and a lack of co-operation from the wealthy Top League clubs.

SANZAR grew so concerned about the viability of Japan’s team they began modelling alternate plans for the 2016 competition last month.

More in article,

FoXtroT

Expert Member
What grates me even more about this loss is that Eddie Jones told us exactly how we was going to play against us and we still couldn't counter their play.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Wouldn't be the end of the world finishing 2nd in our pool.

Would mean we likely to avoid a semi against NZ should we get that far.

QF against Eng or OZ, semi against Ireland or France or Argentina.

wizardofid

Executive Member

What do you mean "what". Why is it absurd that other teams would have struggled ? I am willing to bet this page to eat in case I am wrong, japan is likely to win other matches in our pool, even if they lose a match(s) it will not be by larger margins we are use to see.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill

The scrumhalf only gets a certain amount of time to clear the ball from a static maul or ruck and keep it moving. The idea is to stop time wasting. It's usually about 5 seconds that you're allowed, before he turns over possession.

Understandably refs give a lot of leeway with this as you don't want to unnecessarily disadvantage the attacking team.

They'll sometimes say "use it or lose it".

sand_man

Honorary Master
What do you mean "what". Why is it absurd that other teams would have struggled ? I am willing to bet this page to eat in case I am wrong, japan is likely to win other matches in our pool, even if they lose a match(s) it will not be by larger margins we are use to see.

Japan have lost tests to Tonga, Fiji and USA this year. They ranked 14th. What we witnessed tonight was a Bok performance of farcical proportions.