Official Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread

Hamster

Resident Rodent
We'd meet them in the final.
Chances are in their favour but I still wouldn't put money on it (especially since we haven't seen them play yet this tournament). One bad QF or SF and they're out. Upsets do happen

So I have a question to all of you... Everyone, including me, says we were schit. So, can we pin point our schit rugby of last night?

To be honest, it's not very clear to me.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
So I have a question to all of you... Everyone, including me, says we were schit. So, can we pin point our schit rugby of last night?

32 - 34 <----- right there

L

Leonidas

We never played wide.

Habana and Mlovo and Jesse Kriel hardly got the ball through a normal backline passing sequence.

But then again, it's because the Japanese were so quick to defend.

L

Leonidas

_85645967_springbok.jpg

We never played wide.

Habana and Mlovo and Jesse Kriel hardly got the ball through a normal backline passing sequence.

But then again, it's because the Japanese were so quick to defend.
The ball went wide at times, and nothing happened. We scored 2 tries through the middle though. Two brilliant tries that.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Not good enough. The more I think about, the more I think Japan was just brilliant. Their defense was brilliant. We just weren't able to play better rugby. IMO.

Like I said, people automatically say because we lost we, were playing badly, we weren't playing badly, I don't know where people get this automatic assumption, loss equals poor performance.If you look at the statistics of the game, SA had the some of the better stats.Japan tackled low, there was always 2 to 3 guys at breakdown points, their forwards were much faster then ours, meaning then slowed down our rucks.

Any ways, will be watching a bit of the welsh game today, but looking forward to what Samoa does to USA, as we still have to play them both.I know Samoa has a very in your face approach, with very strong attacking forwards.No idea what USA plays like so will be an interesting game to see what USA does.While I am not particular worried about USA, Samoa concerns me with the physical game style and Scotland is going to be a tough one.

I hope HM sees that resting best players is a bad idea, and he has no choice to put the best team on the field from here on out, if he has any intention of reaching the QF's...

and for the sake of all things holy stop kicking away good possession !!!!

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Not good enough. The more I think about, the more I think Japan was just brilliant. Their defense was brilliant. We just weren't able to play better rugby. IMO.
I was actually confirming your point of view ;)

I think ya'll need to chill and let COSATU do the whole naysaying thing. We lost one game (still got bonus points) against a Japanese team that just had the game of their life (can they actually repeat this performance?). Chances are they'll still crash out.

...unless we lose against another team in the group stage. Then fsck 'em.

diabolus

Executive Member

Thing is, the springboks have been playing a predictable , stale game formula for awhile now and the rest of the world has caught up to this. I would wager Japan won more because SA stuck to their predictable gameplan and got shut down, Eddie Jones of all people would know how to do this. So i consider it schit rugby to kick the ball away ,constantly, instead of running with it (to name one thing the boks ALWAYS do, they kick possession away) . I also think this rather old-school style of play, which is also prevalent in the Bulls , tends to be so fixed/stale that you rarely see these emergent/exciting/dynamic gameplay appear during the match. This is something that makes NZ so exciting to watch sometimes, and even Japan was exciting to watch, they MAKE plays..they don't delay/block the game. It's literally like the boks are being robots..or zombies and all that is expected is they don't knock the ball.../sigh

The fact that we have a bunch of old "experienced" players in the team, does not bode well in terms of adjusting to a different gameplan either....

So now when the actual players do not perform 100% AND their gameplan is being shut down, you got this . On the surface it might not look terrible , but i don't see how we will get past any of the good teams with this "formula" of rugby that has been exposed and exploited time and again....i swear the only reason we look good against the bigger teams is because they also have a habit to stick to their particular styles..small teams have nothing to lose they will try anything..hence we struggling against Argentina also.

I'm actually more afraid of teams in our pool than NZ/Aus/Eng , if any of these teams did their homework they will do the same against us...they might not win us, but where we expect a 40 point victory it will be say 10 points.

Last edited:

Arzy

Honorary Master
I actually tend to think that it comes down to being set in our ways and Eddie exploited that brilliantly. Having experienced (read geriatric bunch of twats who should have retired ages ago) players in the team stifles innovative play. Eddie knew exactly what to expect from us and found a way to neutralize it and we couldn't find a way to try something different because we only know one way of playing.

Watching the post match stuff there was a segment where they went through the Japanese tries and showed a backing formation that Eddie had used when he was with us. We used the same trick in a game against Wales but couldn't recognize it when done against us.

Our fatal flaw was not recognizing that the Japanese expected us to try and run over them with our big physical forwards. They countered this by tackling low and committing players to the break down.

What we should have done was to identify that this left them short in the back line and focused on getting the ball out quickly and down our line to the wing.

We made this impossible though by selecting Pienaar as the scrum half and Lambies first runner being a forward 90% of the time

sand_man

Honorary Master

You play as well as your opponents allow you. They looked brilliant because we allowed them to. If they were brilliant they wouldn't be ranked 14th in world rugby. If they were brilliant they wouldn't have lost tests to Fiji, Tonga and USA this year.

Bok forwards weren't hunting as a pack, they weren't cleaning out with any intent, they weren't scrumming with any intent and in rugby, intent means with a physical ferocity befitting the great game.

When we showed intent we exposed the frailties of the Japanese defense with consummate ease. Lood and Adrian are not known for their side stepping, try scoring abilities yet they scored 2 "gems".

Anyway at 32-29 up my brother-in-law said to me, the Japs deserve to win this game. I said to him, no they don't. If they deserve to win the scoreboard will reflect that right. At 34-32 up they deserved to win and did...

Well done to them, that's a massive accomplishment but the Boks lack of commitment to that match was embarrassing.

Upsets of this magnitude simply don't happen in international rugby.

In rugby world cup history that must rate as the biggest upset ever? In previous world cups other significant upsets include Samoa beating Wales, Fiji beating Wales. Can anyone recall 2 sides, with a 10 place disparity in the IRB rankings, where the lower placed team has won?

You play as well as your opponents allow you. They looked brilliant because we allowed them to. If they were brilliant they wouldn't be ranked 14th in world rugby. If they were brilliant they wouldn't have lost tests to Fiji, Tonga and USA this year.

Bok forwards weren't hunting as a pack, they weren't cleaning out with any intent, they weren't scrumming with any intent and in rugby, intent means with a physical ferocity befitting the great game.

When we showed intent we exposed the frailties of the Japanese defense with consummate ease. Lood and Adrian are not known for their side stepping, try scoring abilities yet they scored 2 "gems".

Anyway at 32-29 up my brother-in-law said to me, the Japs deserve to win this game. I said to him, no they don't. If they deserve to win the scoreboard will reflect that right. At 34-32 up they deserved to win and did...

Well done to them, that's a massive accomplishment but the Boks lack of commitment to that match was embarrassing.

Upsets of this magnitude simply don't happen in international rugby.

In rugby world cup history that must rate as the biggest upset ever? In previous world cups other significant upsets include Samoa beating Wales, Fiji beating Wales. Can anyone recall 2 sides, with a 10 place disparity in the IRB rankings, where the lower placed team has won?
To your last point... I was stunned to know that SA rated 10th on the world rankings at the start of the 95 world cup. How cool is that