Official Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread

skimread

Honorary Master
We never played wide.

Habana and Mlovo and Jesse Kriel hardly got the ball through a normal backline passing sequence.

But then again, it's because the Japanese were so quick to defend.
I can't even recall Habana and Mvovo chasing any kicks and putting pressure on any of the opposing players. Springboks didn't even play the territory game. Basically they didn't play as a team, nor as individuals. They just pitched up expecting to win with no game plan. If you think about it, it was really an odd game. Since we didn't play weak teams in 2015 but only strong teams (NZ,OZ,Arg) the Heyneke Meyer game plan of losing but doing so with the goal of saying we haven't peaked yet was never exposed. When we eventually met a weak team for the first time in 2015 HM strategy, game plan and team selection was exposed.

Politics is everywhere, a guy comes in with big promises. Seems to have a good philosophy on paper but ultimately what they guy says his strengths are e.g. man management and planning is actually the opposite. It's like saying on your CV you are this and that and good in people management. All just using your imagination. SA Rugby is run by prehistoric old farts. They hired based on the CV but should have judged on their skills today. They made the same mistake with Rudolph Streauli in 2003 and they'll make the same mistake again in future.

The current HM is neither a modern coach nor good at people management. He does however project like he is doing something by sitting in his glass cubacle acting like he is doing something useful every know and then. Matfield was maybe long shot selection due to his age and performance in the 2011 world cup.. To select him for the 2015 world cup was absolute lunacy.

To make JdV captain when he's way beyond his peak and his performance clearly doesn't merit selection is another thing that will bring down team morale. Him and Jessie Kriel are an awful combination and don't compliment each other.

There is just so much wrong with the team, one can write pages about it. These issues have been identified by neutral watchers long ago but people believed HM was doing his job so gave him the benefit of the doubt. He clearly wasn't and it lead to the situation right now where we were fairly beaten by Japan.

Politics isn't about the percentage black vs white players, it's about clueless people like HM, Jacob Zuma or Malema gaming the system to their advantage, to reach the top. Once they're there they get exposed but it doesn't matter. They've made a pile of cash, their ultimate goal. HM has no interest in the team apart from those loyal to him. He just spews out generic motivation 101 excuses. After the loss to Japan he said the expected by saying team let the nation down and they'll bounce that. In the meantime he is already thinking about his autobiography where he'll spill some SA rugby insider some secrets to sell more books.

diabolus

Executive Member
The irony is, i remember watching the All Blacks vs. Japan in 1995 here in SA. It was a new record in world rugby (probably still is) : Score was 145-17 . Amazing how things have changed.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Shows how 1 man can destroy our pride. Mordt said it yesterday - we need to go pack to a panel of selectors because this picking favorites and old shytes has to end.

The irony is, i remember watching the All Blacks vs. Japan in 1995 here in SA. It was a new record in world rugby (probably still is) : Score was 145-17 . Amazing how things have changed.
Those were the days, when yhe japanese were still 4 feet tall :D

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Ok, so our next game is on the 26th against Samoa? what do you guys think? Should I be medicating myself before the game or do you think we will pull it together?

Samoa playing USA today. Gonna watch that. Should be interesting to see how Samoa plays, and the USA....well, I have never seen them play Rugby so that will also be interesting.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Ok, so our next game is on the 26th against Samoa? what do you guys think? Should I be medicating myself before the game or do you think we will pull it together?

Samoa playing USA today. Gonna watch that. Should be interesting to see how Samoa plays, and the USA....well, I have never seen them play Rugby so that will also be interesting.

Go the safe route and have a hairy chest nearby to bury your face into, it may get very eek against the Samoans :D

Kilgore_Trout_Redux

Executive Member

USA vs. Samoa is going to be a great game. Both are equally matched and play decent rugby.

I do think we will scrape a narrow domkrag victory against the rest of our pool but we're going to get clobbered against real opposition.

sand_man

Honorary Master

In years gone by I would say pity the Samoans for the back lash is going to be immense. If we being brutally honest with ourselves this squad of players just doesn't possess the x-factor. All bets are off...

Samoa, considering the pool of players at their disposal are the true giants of world rugby!!

They have a population of.......... LESS THAN........ 200 000!!!!!!!!!! A population of?!!!!!!!!

I'll let that sink in for a while....

You could fill FNB stadium twice with Samoa's entire population!!!!

Just try and absorb that for a bit......

They ranked 2 or 3 places above USA in the world rankings. Should be a great game! I'm hoping Samoa take it! I Have nothing but respect and admiration for them!!!!

Just save yourself some heartache and skip the rwc altogether

Lager

Banned
I’m getting too old for this,’ said Eddie Jones, Japan’s Australian coach, reflecting on “three years” of effort to win this game. “I’m 55. I should be in Barbados watching cricket