Old age homes with frail care in SA

Detective Derp

For various reasons, my father is broke and has no assets, and he has now been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Private old-age care facilities in this country charge upwards of R 20,000 per month for care which I simply cannot afford, and finding information about publicly available (state-run) facilities seems pretty much impossible, as calling the Dept of Social Services is a futile exercise.

If you've been through the exercise of getting someone into a state old age home in this country, please could you let me know what you did that worked for you. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

maumau

Honorary Master
For various reasons, my father is broke and has no assets, and he has now been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Private old-age care facilities in this country charge upwards of R 20,000 per month for care which I simply cannot afford, and finding information about publicly available (state-run) facilities seems pretty much impossible, as calling the Dept of Social Services is a futile exercise.

If you've been through the exercise of getting someone into a state old age home in this country, please could you let me know what you did that worked fro you. Many thanks in advance.
Ouch! That's bad news. Altzheimers is no joke. Good luck finding accommodation for him.

R13...

Honorary Master
Can't you simply visit one the ones you intend moving him and just ask in person?

Marsie27

CPOA might be able to give you some leads. Other possibilities: Kensington Home for the Aged (has Dept of Social Services logo) or Kendrick House in Thornton. Both have websites. If your father has a religious affiliation, it might be worth a call to its local office. In my view, you should do your best to find somewhere that you can get to reasonably easily in order to maintain contact and for practical reasons (e.g. taking for medical care).

Grant

Honorary Master
If he owns his home the better option may be to keep him there with home based care.
There are a few organizations that offer free home based care, St Johns is one of them, they would also be able to advise regards accommodation if required.

I suggested he remains at home (if thats an option) - having alzheimer's, you want to keep him in as familiar surroundings as possible, for as long as possible.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Stay out of state old age homes, full stop. Seriously, the abuse and disgusting conditions is unreal until you see it. If you love your pops, make a plan to have him stay with you and get a part time carer.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Stay out of state old age homes, full stop. Seriously, the abuse and disgusting conditions is unreal until you see it. If you love your pops, make a plan to have him stay with you and get a part time carer.
Private facilities are generally just as bad and any facility is only as good as the staff they employ. Grand parents were at a private facility, R25k-R30k a month. They were only brought out of their rooms if someone came to visit the place or everyone was just left in the common room. No help and no stimulus was provided. Everything save 5 items of clothing were stolen; jewellery, clothes, shoes, hearing aids, false teeth... you name it. Police as usual not interested.

Keep them at home and pay a carer. Just make sure you have cameras everywhere in the house and you inform the carer that the will be subject to a full search of themselves and their belonings daily. The inhome carer we got sat on the couch reading the newspaper all day and then stole jewellery including mothers wedding ring. She then had the audacity to call the cops because we wouldn't pay her.

The rot is everywhere is SA, especially when it comes to people praying on the old as they are the easiest target.

Grant

Honorary Master
a bit more info

if he has no other health issues, do not move him from his current home.
ppl with alzheimer's have a tendency to go missing - this is usually when moved to some facility and suddenly out of the blue they dont realise where they are and want to go "home" - trying to make their way back to their previous residence, often with tragic consequences.

st johns, do home care at no cost, but someone needs to keep an eye on the person, or set up a few cameras

otherwise try here