Old Mutual SMSs “break the rules” by charging users – Consumer

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
Old Mutual SMSs “break the rules” by charging users – Consumer

A MyBroadband reader recently received a number of direct marketing SMSs from Old Mutual and said they did not conform to the rules governing SMS advertising.

The Financial Services Board (FSB) made a number of changes to the Policyholder Protection Rules (PPRs) in July 2018, which require companies to adhere to standards regarding direct marketing through calls, SMS, or voice messages.

daveza

Honorary Master
They can get stuffed.

They send me spam, I get charged for it but I must speak to the provider to get the charge reversed ?

kma.

mister

Executive Member
If I get spam I simply ignore it and purposefully do not opt-out because I feel warm inside knowing they are wasting money with every sms :ROFL:

system32

Expert Member
Insurance & Banks don't like being reported to the FSB.
Very bad for them.

1) Report OM to FSB since it's an FSB Rule
2) Name and shame the service provider
3) Report the service provider to ICASA

Milano

Honorary Master
Wow, so OM basically said the consumer can get stuffed. interesting brand-building concept that.

Swa

Honorary Master
What's new about this? It's the norm. Just register on nationaloptout and ignore the few that still come through. And what idiot sends a second sms after getting charged for the first in order to test it? :ROFL:

Rabobi

Executive Member
What's new about this? It's the norm. Just register on nationaloptout and ignore the few that still come through. And what idiot sends a second sms after getting charged for the first in order to test it? :ROFL:
Who the hell replies in the first place

Reactions: Swa

McT

The Humble Scot!
“A person who is charged an opt out fee must contact their service provider to query the matter.”
Old Mutuals way of saying, we don'give a rat's what you think of us.

:eek:

Sollie

Executive Member
Nationaloptout? The DMASA's opt out? The local DMASA Nationaloptout? That one?
:ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh:

They are the biggest lot of snake shytes of the bunch! Once you try and figure out where people get your opted-out details, you're led into an incestuous mess that the DMASA takes no responsibility for, "founding members" shocked (does a dramatic Cyril pose) that you dare challenge their god-given right to marketing, senior members not willing to debate the ethics of spamming. Hell, in my skirmishes with them I learnt more about databases like Browns etc that I did not know existed, than I would have liked to.

Example: The Nandcoomars of Anydata being one. Of course, mentioning names like Akash and Shobana Nandcoomar would be libelous - if it were not true. I have emails backed up since 1998. Try your luck.

But then again it is, I took down a span of their disposable spam domains they registered with fake registration details to evade spam filters.

Of course the DMASA also still owes me many responses with the evidence I gave them. If you think getting South Africa to do anything about the arms deal and JZ, that was nothing compared to the DMASA with spammer members harvesting emails off the Nationaloptout. Of course they'll never admit it - you subscribed at some point. Sure ... :rolleyes:

That's also why I eventually turfed a domain, where an email address on it was listed with them.

Hey DMASA, you bunch of spammers, enjoy the bounces from my no longer existing email? :p

As for Old Mutual? Heehee ... I think the little heart to heart I had with their marketing director worked out rather well. I suspect anything touching my email at them triggers something akin to a nuclear alert. Yet he kept his word - so tips the hat ;)

Incidentally ... I hate spam.

Swa

Honorary Master
Nationaloptout? The DMASA's opt out? The local DMASA Nationaloptout? That one?
:ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh: :ROFL: :laugh:

They are the biggest lot of snake shytes of the bunch! Once you try and figure out where people get your opted-out details, you're led into an incestuous mess that the DMASA takes no responsibility for, "founding members" shocked (does a dramatic Cyril pose) that you dare challenge their god-given right to marketing, senior members not willing to debate the ethics of spamming. Hell, in my skirmishes with them I learnt more about databases like Browns etc that I did not know existed, than I would have liked to.

Example: The Nandcoomars of Anydata being one. Of course, mentioning names like Akash and Shobana Nandcoomar would be libelous - if it were not true. I have emails backed up since 1998. Try your luck.

But then again it is, I took down a span of their disposable spam domains they registered with fake registration details to evade spam filters.

View attachment 774058

View attachment 774060
Of course the DMASA also still owes me many responses with the evidence I gave them. If you think getting South Africa to do anything about the arms deal and JZ, that was nothing compared to the DMASA with spammer members harvesting emails off the Nationaloptout. Of course they'll never admit it - you subscribed at some point. Sure ... :rolleyes:

That's also why I eventually turfed a domain, where an email address on it was listed with them.

Hey DMASA, you bunch of spammers, enjoy the bounces from my no longer existing email? :p

As for Old Mutual? Heehee ... I think the little heart to heart I had with their marketing director worked out rather well. I suspect anything touching my email at them triggers something akin to a nuclear alert. Yet he kept his word - so tips the hat ;)

Incidentally ... I hate spam.
I don't know what you're on about but it's the only thing that stopped the spam. Used to get a lot before that.

Sollie

Executive Member
I don't know what you're on about but it's the only thing that stopped the spam. Used to get a lot before that.
I'm on about a ton of evidence I have that shows the exact opposite of what is claimed. Not suspicions. Lots of acknowledgements and excuses, also repeats.

Swa

Honorary Master
I'm on about a ton of evidence I have that shows the exact opposite of what is claimed. Not suspicions. Lots of acknowledgements and excuses, also repeats.
Yet my experience is quite different. Ton of spam before. Since registering none of it besides the companies I have dealings with, except for the DA and ANC.

Reactions: rh1

Sollie

Executive Member
Yet my experience is quite different. Ton of spam before. Since registering none of it besides the companies I have dealings with, except for the DA and ANC.
Great. As for the DA and ANC ...I'll not repeat what was said :p

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Swa

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Very little spam for me too, and for people I have signed up on the list...

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Old Mutual are worse than scum if they support any type of spamming. Nothing less than multimillion-R fines should be payable for abusing the public

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Mattress Factory are the latest scumbags to start sms spamming me. Not sure whether its worth the risk of opting out. I do go to hello peter for every spam incident though.