Old smartphones are good enough for South Africans

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
:thumbsup:

I'm quite happy with my R900 phone from China! I am at a PC virtually all day so I don't need to carry a powerful device around with me.
I agree, yet I use a Note 9. The only reason for that is that I get Samsung phones at wholesale cost. If I couldn't, I'd be happy with some mid range device. I've used them before and they're fine. I also think that it is daft to upgrade every year, there's simply no reason to.

marine1

Honorary Master
Not when certain manufacturers intentionally slow down phones with new software updates.
As for new tech? If my contracts allow me to upgrade and not pay in sure I will do it
Ordered the Samsung S10 as soon as its here

Gudnews

It's all relative I guess. For a tech peasent like me, a Samsung S7 still revs my engine, the S6 even but for the lack of a SD slot.

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
So I guess "Staff-writers"next article should be

The best bang for the buck -- "Old" Smartphone

I might subscribe to that article ..........

saor

Honorary Master
I won't spend more than R6K on a phone these days.
Anything more than that is just pure greed.
How often do you get a new phone?

I'm still on my one m8 - probably about 4 / 5 years old. I'm a bit torn about what to get next tho - really just want a decent camera and battery.

Yirhu

Here I am still rocking my galaxy s3 lte from god knows when as this is a hand me down phone. I think it's rather silly to spend more than R7000 on a smartphone, even if on contract.

Marcan

I think one can get good phones between R 2k and 6k. Possibly with at least 3Gb ram and 32 Gb ROM.

SM-SA

Somehow i feel Bias in these articles ie "south Africans love second hand cars", "old smartphones are good enough for South Africans".
Isn't it ultimately an individuals choice how he/she wants to buy, what one affords or feel content with? IMG_20190208_223435.jpg

Attachments

Munchk1n

Last year, instead of getting the Galaxy S9 on my contract renewal, I got a Galaxy A8, saved me quite a bit on my contract, plus the A8 is a beautiful phone without costing me a Kidney, and actually fits in my hand and Camelbak. All these new phones are too big and too expensive, and don't really offer much more value than a midrange phone. Plus my partner is using my old S7 and she loves that phone.

gamer16

Honorary Master
I'm very happy with my Chinese (probably) Proline XM-502, it does what I want, no need for fancy flagship phones.