Older Android versions won't be able to sign into Google accounts

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Google dropping support for older Android versions

Google will soon stop letting smartphone users on some of the oldest versions of Android sign into their Google accounts.

This is according to several users on Reddit, who have reported receiving emails from the company that notified them they would have to be running Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) or later to continue using Google Mobile Services on their device.

cpu.

Executive Member
I was worried about 4.3, but totally understand if 2.3.x is not supported any more. I'm very proud of my 2015 purchased (probably 2014) Huawei Mediapad T1 that's still working.

Edit:
The battery on standby last days and Youtube still for hours.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
The world needs to take security, ecological and economical regulations more seriously. starting by requiring all device makers and developers to provide, parts, software and technical support to all electronics for a minimum of 10 years.

I can comfortably update any 10-year-old laptop to run the latest version of Windows or Linux to keep it secure and useful. Smartphones, routers, IoT devices should not be any different.

jbroo

The world needs to take security, ecological and economical regulations more seriously. starting by requiring all device makers and developers to provide, parts, software and technical support to all electronics for a minimum of 10 years.

I can comfortably update any 10-year-old laptop to run the latest version of Windows or Linux to keep it secure and useful. Smartphones, routers, IoT devices should not be any different.
Keeping devices working != Sales. I hear you but those shareholders expecting annual growth think otherwise. As soon as you have bought it it needs to be obsolete so you can buy another. Welcome to modern capitalism, it sucks.

Supervan II

Expert Member
Keeping devices working != Sales. I hear you but those shareholders expecting annual growth think otherwise. As soon as you have bought it it needs to be obsolete so you can buy another. Welcome to modern capitalism, it sucks.
This here's the reason why they don't make 'em like they used to

wizardofid

Executive Member
Huh ? Share who ? You are aware android is open source, so your statement isn't really applicable in this case. ?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Android 2.3 was released December 6, 2010, the latest release being 2.3.7_r1 dated September 21, 2011. To think, the Nexus One on which it released ran a Scorpion, which was already 2 years old around that time.

I am struggling to see why some people are losing their schit about this. In other parts, people are more than happy to leave the Google services ecosystem, but this got them singing a whole new tune.

Then you have the tinkerers who install an OS like GrapheneOS because security is mos cool, no Google services, but I am sure this news will have their panties in a knot.

Anyway, I checked out CalyxOS the other day, I kinda liked it.

It is like AMD and Nvidia stopping driver support on older GPUs, everyone is laying the hate on Nvidia.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Here is the thing, do you really need Google Services on older devices? There are so many Google Play Store competitors available today, and alternatives like Aptoide. I really don't see why people need Google services on an outdated device.

cpu.

Executive Member
Huh ? Share who ? You are aware android is open source, so your statement isn't really applicable in this case. ?
Not Android, but the sale of devices. We want newer versions of Android, but have to buy new devices to get it.
Shareholders of the companies that sell these devices = happy.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Not Android, but the sale of devices. We want newer versions of Android, but have to buy new devices to get it.
Shareholders of the companies that sell these devices = happy.
Device support requires additional staff, increasing the device costs long term.There is a reliance on hardware manufactures of individual components to release drivers for newer android versions as well, some chipsets simply do not get drivers released so it isn't entirely the end device manufactures fault for not releasing newer android versions as well. Lower tiered hardware outside of mainstream, might get one android version update or none at all. Considering hardware configurations I am not surprised only a select device manufactures provide updates and considering those that do if you compare price there is a huge difference than those who don't.

There is far more at play then some one refusing to release new versions, capitalism...............hardly.

The only thing that google tried to enforce is that manufactures having to supply 2 years of security updates, they are under no obligation to update the physical android version. However with the release of android 11 gives access to update individual components of the OS better. My phone runs android 7 is 3 1/2 years old and my tablet is android 8.1 and 2 1/2 years old and have zero complaints. It is a nice to have not a must have. Security updates sure new os version no.

A product has a EOL date and as well as support end date, it has nothing to do with the company trying to make money but rather, extended support costs money as well, this applies to any thing that has a up-gradable firmware, you can't have your bread buttered on both sides....

jbroo

No, but the companies who made your 10 year old device have to keep pushing updates. And that costs money. And if they keep your old device up to date, why would you be forced to buy a new one? That's no sales coupled with the costs of maintaining old products for free.

jbroo

Having said that, Android 2 is 10 years old. In the world of IT that is a good run. I have several tablets and TV sticks running Android KitKat and they have been repurposed (photo frame, weather station) I could probably use them without Gapps too, with a bit of tweaking.

I feel sorry for anyone using an Android 2 phone as a daily driver in 2021 though

And yes, capitalism. It's probably a separate argument to this thread, but it's real: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
In the world of IT that is a good run
Not IT, rather mobile computing.
That should change now though, for the last 2/3 years we've reached the point where performance and features of the actual hardware are generally good enough that they should be lasting a lot longer, it's just that it's more profitable to keep you in the upgrade cycle system.

friedpiggy

Expert Member
The issue I have with this is that we are beholden to the cellular companies for updates on older devices. My Huawei Ascend G7 is still perfectly fine after 7 years of service. According to Huawei, it supports up to Android 6, yet it is stuck on 4.4.4 in SA unless I flash it myself because Vodacom, MTN and Cell C decided not to provide the OTA upgrade to 6 for that device. I can only find a rom for an Indian version of the device.

Was forced to buy a new phone as the majority of apps no longer support anything under Android 5