Olympic Committee will host its first licenced esports event

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Olympic Committee will host its first licenced esports event

Competitive videogames may have moved closer to becoming an official Olympics sport after the International Olympic Committee announced plans to hold a virtual esports event ahead of the Tokyo Games.

The Olympic Virtual Series will run from May 13 to June 23 and include events featuring baseball and racing videogames, according to a statement Thursday.

This will be the first licensed Olympic esports event, though not part of the Games itself.

JohnStarr

Expert Member
What a time to be alive...here the Olympics was thought to be a display of physical prowess. Now it includes the prowess of your left & right hand only!

Mekon

Expert Member
What a time to be alive...here the Olympics was thought to be a display of physical prowess. Now it includes the prowess of your left & right hand only!
Hipster simps need to be represented as well you know.

wbot

Expert Member
"though not part of the Games itself."

It's a separate event

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Not e-sports as in ESL CSGO,

The following International Federations and gaming publishers will be part of the Olympic Virtual Series:

- World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) – eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020, Konami Digital Entertainment
- Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) – Zwift, Zwift inc.
- World Rowing - Open format
- World Sailing - Virtual Regatta, Virtual Regatta SAS
- Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) - Gran Turismo, Polyphony Digital

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I have to ask why they settled on Gran Turismo and not iRacing which is an e-sports racing thoroughbred?

Konami... lol.

Genisys

Honorary Master
Not e-sports as in ESL CSGO,
I am disappointed in the lack of actual E-sport titles. When the topic of E-Sports come up the most popular (and probably the best) usually include LoL, Dota, Valorant and CSGO. I suspect keeping stuff like CSGO separate helps with the curb appeal of ESL etc

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I am disappointed in the lack of actual E-sport titles. When the topic of E-Sports come up the most popular (and probably the best) usually include LoL, Dota, Valorant and CSGO. I suspect keeping stuff like CSGO separate helps with the curb appeal of ESL etc

Mind sports needs it own separate Olympics. Like we have Summer and Winter Olympics, 'Mind' Olympics should be separate.

Genisys

Honorary Master
Mind sports needs it own separate Olympics. Like we have Summer and Winter Olympics, 'Mind' Olympics should be separate.
Definitely, I won't watch Olympics. Odds are if I do end up watching I wouldn't want to watch any E-sport stuff at all (we got Twitch for that). Its the Olympics, there are many different kinds of sport that has more appeal. E-Sport has a time and a place, and the Olympics isn't the place

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Definitely, I won't watch Olympics. Odds are if I do end up watching I wouldn't want to watch any E-sport stuff at all (we got Twitch for that). ITs the Olympics, there are many different kinds of sport that has more appeal.

eSports/Mind Olympics have great monetization potential. They will lure big sponsors and recruiters, and every team and or player around the globe may potentially participate therein. I entirely support it, but it must always be unique and separate to the Olympics and should never be combined.

Participants will also be reluctant to cheat, because cheating at this level where the IOC reigns will stain and taint you, and your team, until death.

We are already in the digital revolution; the next step in revolution will be virtualisation where simulation is already upon us. Embrace it sooner than later.