On this day in 1976 South Africa became one of the last countries to get TV

yebocan

Executive Member
The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) began test transmissions in Johannesburg on 5 May 1975, followed in July by ones in Cape Town and Durban.

The SABC started a regular, countrywide television service on this day (5 January) in 1976.

There was only one channel with airtime divided evenly between English and Afrikaans, alternating between the two languages.

South Africa was one of the last countries in the world to get a regular television service.

So our digital migration is not that slow after all ...

buka001

Executive Member
One of the only countries that did not have the Moon landing televised. Idiots.

Ninja'd

A Djinn

Dr. Albert Hertzog, Minister for Posts and Telegraphs at the time, said that TV would come to South Africa "over [his] dead body,"[3] denouncing it as "only a miniature bioscope which is being carried into the house and over which parents have no control."[4] He also argued that "South Africa would have to import films showing race mixing; and advertising would make Africans dissatisfied with their lot."[5] The new medium was then regarded as the "devil's own box, for disseminating communism and immorality".[6]
I mean, he wasn't wrong.

garyc

Expert Member
The initial programming was very bland. A friend of mine had a job as a video editor there and they had a long list of things that they had to censor out of programs. Even images of rainbows were removed from children's cartoons (can't turn the kids gay, can we).

Perhaps the main shock for people was that this arrived just in time for the June 76 riots. News footage from places like Soweto suddenly showed a different world to what people had been told about.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
No but in this case I think you can legit blame apartheid.
No, wrong. One very specific Minister of Posts and Telecommunications ........
Because secretly, everyone else was working in the background to implement TV the moment he retired .

Those were great days of innovationn at all levels involved.

Last edited:

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
The initial programming was very bland. A friend of mine had a job as a video editor there and they had a long list of things that they had to censor out of programs. Even images of rainbows were removed from children's cartoons (can't turn the kids gay, can we).

Perhaps the main shock for people was that this arrived just in time for the June 76 riots. News footage from places like Soweto suddenly showed a different world to what people had been told about.
SA TV started in 1975
The rainbow flag was devised by artist Gilbert Baker in 1978

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
No, wrong. One very specific Minister of Posts and Telecommunications ........
Because secretly, everyone else was working in the background to implement TV the moment he retired .

Those were great days of innovationn at all levels involved.
Well then, excuse the f**K out of me for being so young. Apartheid minister no? Then by extension, still a function of apartheid

antowan

Honorary Master
One of the only countries that did not have the Moon landing televised. Idiots.
But we did play a crucial part in relaying the communication signals that made it possible whenever the USA went out of range... The earth turns you see and the moon spins around us too. ;o)

AND

SA's Pratley Putty was crucial to keeping stuff in place during the mission.

The Apartheid government was more science and less entertainment. Hehehehehheheh!