On this day in 1976 South Africa became one of the last countries to get TV

Flanders

Honorary Master
Robotech was on at around 3 or 4 in the afternoon when you got back from school and your parents were still at work, tellyfun quiz was on later when the folks were home and you were having supper with mcgyver starting a 7 I think.

Robotech was like a religion to me, you don't miss that schit!
There was another kids show on before Robotech IIRC (Gummi Bears?) and yes, I think Robotech started at 4pm. It would make perfect sense for tellyfun quiz to be on when the adults were home but I remember it clearly being on before anything else. Maybe it was a re-run of the previous week before the current show came on later? Maybe that marked the local birth of what we now know as 'daytime tv'? My 8 year old self recalls Martin Bailie as the host.

And yes, when it came to Robotech, you did NOT miss that schit. Ever.

Faak me I'm getting old... and posting OT like a typical nostalgiamaniac
No ways, nostalgia is what this thread is all about.

Last edited:

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Robotech was on at around 3 or 4 in the afternoon when you got back from school and your parents were still at work, tellyfun quiz was on later when the folks were home and you were having supper with mcgyver starting a 7 I think.

Robotech was like a religion to me, you don't miss that schit!
Thanks to Robotech, we have anime fans in SA who buy/collect anime and things, like blue hedgehogs

Lupus

Honorary Master
Thanks to Robotech, we have anime fans in SA who buy/collect anime and things, like blue hedgehogs
I think we had, the anime scene in South Africa pretty much dried up. I mean all the anime shops are all gone now. Animeworx became AWX than Nexus, Animedirect is gone and and.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
I think we had, the anime scene in South Africa pretty much dried up. I mean all the anime shops are all gone now. Animeworx became AWX than Nexus, Animedirect is gone and and.
That's true, it doesn't mean there aren't fans out there. Thank anime piracy, poor salaries, and other factors for killing off anime shops.

Lupus

Honorary Master
That's true, it doesn't mean there aren't fans out there. Thank anime piracy, poor salaries, and other factors for killing off anime shops.
Yup I still like anime :). Do miss the shops and such though, like walking in and perusing the DVD's for a new collection.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Yup I still like anime :). Do miss the shops and such though, like walking in and perusing the DVD's for a new collection.
I miss the shops too, I also miss the community aspect, seems these days people keep to themselves and don't have time to interact or socialize with other anime fans.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Funny, anime wasn't big with me growing up as much as I see it with my kids who are Ghibli fans of note. Maybe because I didn't grow up in CT or JHB.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I miss the shops too, I also miss the community aspect, seems these days people keep to themselves and don't have time to interact or socialize with other anime fans.
Yup in Johannesburg there was the Blackblade events in the early 2000s, when AWX spawned and a few other shops. Than Musica even started keeping some Studio Ghibli stuff in their stores and by 2010 it was all gone. Hard to come by legit Studio Ghibli stuff in SA without paying a fortune, the last one I got was the Ster Kinekor release of Spirted away.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Yup in Johannesburg there was the Blackblade events in the early 2000s, when AWX spawned and a few other shops. Than Musica even started keeping some Studio Ghibli stuff in their stores and by 2010 it was all gone. Hard to come by legit Studio Ghibli stuff in SA without paying a fortune, the last one I got was the Ster Kinekor release of Spirted away.
Indeed, I was involved in that.
And yes, nothing is available here anymore, which is why I've resigned myself to buying stuff overseas. I am hoping that I get to go on a training excursion this year on a new piece of equipment we're required to support, in which case I am going to make sure I spend a day in Akihabara.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Indeed, I was involved in that.
And yes, nothing is available here anymore, which is why I've resigned myself to buying stuff overseas. I am hoping that I get to go on a training excursion this year on a new piece of equipment we're required to support, in which case I am going to make sure I spend a day in Akihabara.
With Serpant, KitFox and Gainax?

dlk001

Executive Member
Brings back SABC/SAUK memories. The good and the bad days.

I think the first thing I remember watching on TV was John Tate vs Gerrie Coetzee boxing match. A group of people gathered around a small black and white television. Boxing was the biggest sport in my area at that time.