On this day in 1976 South Africa became one of the last countries to get TV

Daruk

Honorary Master
Brings back SABC/SAUK memories. The good and the bad days.

I think the first thing I remember watching on TV was John Tate vs Gerrie Coetzee boxing match. A group of people gathered around a small black and white television. Boxing was the biggest sport in my area at that time.
Watched that. Big John Tate Vs Besembek.

buka001

Executive Member
I remember watching Dawie Die Kabouter. Was it on a Thursday? I couldn't understand a word. It was all in Afrikaans, but still enjoyed watching it.

Robotech was good.

Gummy Bears? Was that on a Sunday evening? I remember Duck Tales was on a Sunday evening as well.

MacGuyver was a staple, so was Airwolf, Magnum PI and Knight Rider.

I remember they brought Knight Riders car, Kit, to our tiny little shopping centre shortly after it was opened. I was in my element.

Flanders

Honorary Master
I remember watching Dawie Die Kabouter. Was it on a Thursday? I couldn't understand a word. It was all in Afrikaans, but still enjoyed watching it.

Robotech was good.

Gummy Bears? Was that on a Sunday evening? I remember Duck Tales was on a Sunday evening as well.

I remember they brought Knight Riders car, Kit, to our tiny little shopping centre shortly after it was opened. I was in my element.
Last month youtube randomly started spitting Airwolf clips at me. I have no idea why but I wasn't complaining. What I did realise was that I remembered absolutely none of the story line whatsoever, aside from the main characters. Probably something to do with that machine being so badass that the plot didn't matter.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Perhaps the main shock for people was that this arrived just in time for the June 76 riots. News footage from places like Soweto suddenly showed a different world to what people had been told about.
Surely what they showed on a South African state controlled television service was only what the government wanted people to see? I find it hard to believe they allowed anything revealing. If anything whatever they showed would have been to serve their agenda.

Ironically I don’t own a TV today. I also wonder if the late introduction of TV might not have been the reason that SA isn’t as celebrity obsessed as France and America.
Different culture perhaps, but then again maybe there isn't really a significant difference in celebrity obsession, of which there is plenty in South Africa.

whenever I am at a work function I find that many Europeans and Americans cannot stop talking about movies and actors while I couldn’t give a damm.
People also often talk about sport, wine or beer. Apparently some take who wins a game very seriously.

garyc

Expert Member
Surely what they showed on a South African state controlled television service was only what the government wanted people to see? I find it hard to believe they allowed anything revealing. If anything whatever they showed would have been to serve their agenda.
The government was really pushing the "rooi gevaar" angle in order to keep everyone in line. Some scenes from the townships were shown on the news as part of this paradigm. These were usually clips were the police seemed to be doing OK. The newspapers were also carrying pictures of the unrest, so there was no way of pretending that it was not happening.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Don't you mean Bradlows?
Bradlows is a furniture store, quite big in the 70's and 80's. still exists.
Barlows , also an S.A. company had its fingers in may pies including consumer elctronics such as TV's.
There were a few shops around known as Barloworld ,by which the original Barlows is still know.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

Robotech was good.

If you are homesick for those series try watching SABC now. They have a retro hour in which those series are all back.

buka001

Executive Member
Last month youtube randomly started spitting Airwolf clips at me. I have no idea why but I wasn't complaining. What I did realise was that I remembered absolutely none of the story line whatsoever, aside from the main characters. Probably something to do with that machine being so badass that the plot didn't matter.
As an aside, but similar revelation, over the holidays I noted that Amazon Prime had uploaded all the Baywatch TV series, in remastered HD,

Watched a few random episodes and I was like, there was a plot? All I recall as a young teen was Pamela Anderson.

MirageF1

Expert Member
OK BW was def one series I stayed welll clear of...there were far tastier broads at the Jhb night clubs!

Vernon

Expert Member
Watched that. Big John Tate Vs Besembek.
Yeah I remember those fights. Bob Arum had brought over Big John Tate to these shores to grab a piece of the HW title after the first retirement of Ali. Die Bek van Boomstraat was easily taken care of but at least old Gerrie put up a whole lot more resistance before losing.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Yeah I remember those fights. Bob Arum had brought over Big John Tate to these shores to grab a piece of the HW title after the first retirement of Ali. Die Bek van Boomstraat was easily taken care of but at least old Gerrie put up a whole lot more resistance before losing.
Talking about besembek, just found this for the first time... what a weird story lol

...and this epic news:

Daruk

Honorary Master
Gerrie punched way above his weight literally. He was relatively light for a heavyweight at under 100 kilos while Tate weighed 110 to 150 kg at different points in his career.