On this day in 1976 South Africa became one of the last countries to get TV

Vernon

Expert Member
Gerrie punched way above his weight literally. He was relatively light for a heavyweight at under 100 kilos while Tate weighed 110 to 150 kg at different points in his career.
True, he was outweighed by the big American.

Tate was a good, solid fighter but never the same after getting k.o'd by Weaver back in '80. He was winning that fight easily but got caught with a few seconds left in the 15th and final round. He had a very short prime.

Gerrie was an all-rounder in terms of being able to box and punch. Very unlucky when he lost his title to Greg Page. The round he got knocked out in lasted almost 4 minutes. The timekeeper was fast asleep. That fight is also known for that idiot local commentator-Bert Blewett, trying to somehow Americanize Gerrie's surname by intentionally pronouncing it as "Kootzie". lol

Daruk

Honorary Master
True, he was outweighed by the big American.

Tate was a good, solid fighter but never the same after getting k.o'd by Weaver back in '80. He was winning that fight easily but got caught with a few seconds left in the 15th and final round. He had a very short prime.

Gerrie was an all-rounder in terms of being able to box and punch. Very unlucky when he lost his title to Greg Page. The round he got knocked out in lasted almost 4 minutes. The timekeeper was fast asleep. That fight is also known for that idiot local commentator-Bert Blewett, trying to somehow Americanize Gerrie's surname by intentionally pronouncing it as "Kootzie". lol
Hehehe Bert Blewett... I was a big Gerrie fan. Gerrie and Brian Mitchell. Re: Tate Vs Weaver - that was a classic heavyweight fight. It can seem one sided, then boom, the tables turn.

Vernon

Expert Member
Hehehe Bert Blewett... I was a big Gerrie fan. Gerrie and Brian Mitchell. Re: Tate Vs Weaver - that was a classic heavyweight fight. It can seem one sided, then boom, the tables turn.
Pound-for pound Brian Mitchell was our finest ever boxer, IMO. The really old-timers might point to Vic Toweel but Mitchell's longevity and unbeaten streak as champion, was special.

krycor

Honorary Master
Unfortunately not :-( there's been controlled load shedding in other countries as well. Though it's generally not for 13 years.
Well they do experience grid instability from time to time too.

Personally think solutions like “solar city” on a Suburb basis might be the way to go..

Daruk

Honorary Master
Pound-for pound Brian Mitchell was our finest ever boxer, IMO. The really old-timers might point to Vic Toweel but Mitchell's longevity and unbeaten streak as champion, was special.
Totally agree. I bump into him regularly, he brings his fighters to the EC often. Many happy memories watching him defend his title. Those early mornings with coffee waiting for the main bout. He's by far the best boxer produced in SA IMO, though Toweel was a legend in his own right. Another boxer who was not only a good fighter, but a lean athlete. I'm a fan of fighters who not only have raw talent, but train hard. Coetzee, Toweel and Mitchell could all fight the distance and still punch hard.

Last edited:

Vernon

Expert Member
Totally agree. I bump into him regularly, he brings his fighters to the EC often. Many happy memories watching him defend his title. Those early mornings with coffee waiting for the main bout. He's by far the best boxer produced in SA IMO,
His accomplishments are even more remarkable given the fact that he was never allowed to defend the world title in his own country. He had to go to the opponents back yard, and still ended up beating them. World class operator. Out of the top drawer.

Knyro

PhD in Everything
ITT: Old AF MyBBers

Quite a few of you are older than my parents. :p

dillinger

I grew up in Namibia and we only got TV in 1981. The TV news was always a day old as it would be recorded in SA and flown the next day over and shown that evening at 8.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I grew up in Namibia and we only got TV in 1981. The TV news was always a day old as it would be recorded in SA and flown the next day over and shown that evening at 8.
Not completely true. There were people in SWA that had TV long before that, but by nefarious means and live or "linear TV" as it is called these days.