One dead, shootout WestvilleMall (Durban) - 28/11/2019

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Quick question, suppose you are a licensed gun owner and come across officers clearly in distress being outgunned by criminals, are you allowed to help if you are prepared to?
As far as I understand yes you are, but you would need to be very careful because the cops could mistake you for being a part of the criminal element and put you down as well.

ponder

Honorary Master
Quick question, suppose you are a licensed gun owner and come across officers clearly in distress being outgunned by criminals, are you allowed to help if you are prepared to?
What the others have said but keep in mind that should your bullet damage property or an innocent person you will be held personally liable should someone decide to sue whereas if it was the cop it would be saps/minister of police getting sued..

Make those shots count! ;)

ponder

Honorary Master
Wish they killed all those thugs.
Scoped and laser-sighted assault rifles would help, poor plod with his 9mm is up against tsotsis with assault rifles. It's not even a fair fight.

Milano

Honorary Master
Perp drops like a sack of potatoes... Great shot.
100%. That was something to behold, he just nailed that shot perfectly on target. The warrant officer is a machine. He has no qualms about risking his own life in protecting his colleague and the general public. True dedication commitment and bravery. We are fortunate to have men of his calibre.

Pitbull

Verboten
Yes, the law on self defense means you or anyone in clear and present danger who would have died if not intervened.

Problem though, you see two police officers at different sides of the assault. Do you think the police will see you as help for them or the perps?

You could be helping the cops and get shot by another cop from a different angle

Last edited:

Unhappy438

Honorary Master
I was wondering what was with all the chopper activity this morning, i guess it was for this.

ponder

Honorary Master
Yes, the law on self defense means you or anyone in clear and present danger who would have dies if not intervened.

Problem though, you see two police officers at different sides of the assault. Do you think the police will see you as help for them or the perps?

You could be helping the cops and get shot by another cop from a different angle
You sometimes see plainclothes cops at a scene, are they all known to the uniformed guys? Something I've wondered about before.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Scoped and laser-sighted assault rifles would help, poor plod with his 9mm is up against tsotsis with assault rifles. It's not even a fair fight.
Yeah its not really.... the tsotsis with the assault rifles only managed to wound one cop with a lucky shot... the cops put down 1 and probably severely wounded another with the way he moved on that video... and maybe more with the way the vehicle was rolling back and forward before they managed to bug out.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Yeah its not really.... the tsotsis with the assault rifles only managed to wound one cop with a lucky shot... the cops put down 1 and probably severely wounded another with the way he moved on that video... and maybe more with the way the vehicle was rolling back and forward before they managed to bug out.
Yeah, it looks like the policeman behind the police car may have wounded him before dropping to the ground.

Cray

Honorary Master
That's the one benefit that Cops have, training and practise on a target range, I know it's not the same thing as live targets but I doubt the average criminal does a lot of firearm instruction and practise when they get their black market weapons.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
That's the one benefit that Cops have, training and practise on a target range, I know it's not the same thing as live targets but I doubt the average criminal does a lot of firearm instruction and practise when they get their black market weapons.
That first oke who got hit, was doing a standard movie bad guy impression of spray and pray... and 1 round out of how ever many he unloaded from that automatic rifle managed to hit target...
If those cops had a similar level of weaponry in their hands the outcome would have been very very different and there would be 3 or 4 dead perps and a swiss-cheesed Hilux.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Most criminals can't aim for sh** or try and be gangster, not understanding the purpose of sights on a gun barrel.

SAguy

Expert Member
Don't recall the FCA specifically addressing that - I'd be worried about getting shot by the cops though, so if at all possible I'd ask the cops if I can assist. I imagine a lot of legal complications should an innocent bystander be shot though.