One in every four calls to 10111 are either not answered, dropped, or “mishandled”

Albereth

Honorary Master
As much as I give the plods stick as I really do believe that their service is shocking, every time that I have called 10111 they have answered promptly and professionally and a vehicle has arrived within an acceptable timeframe. Probably lucky - but then having to call them is hardly lucky.

zizebra

I had bad experience twice before after dialling 10111. In both cases I was transferred several times and had to wait for close to 10 minutes. After I finally got my emergency message through, through no ambulance was dispatched. Then I was called back after 4 hour, the caller wanted to see if I still required an ambulance.

Xena1

I wonder if this is somewhere the private sector can help? GIS solutions etc, donation of hardware.
Yes maybe? I just feel that things can be done so much better. Police force members that are trying to be effective are demoralised as they can't get to everything and there is only so much that they can do to combat crime. If they are enabled by technology they will be able to act faster and to be more effective.

R13...

Honorary Master
They are nowhere near as advanced as the US, where operators can push jobs/calls/missing persons alerts to the computers in squad cars along with GPS coordinates and photos if the people involved have a record on file. Such a system would only work if the townships had proper streets and streetnames and house numbers. Umazizake near Graaff-Reinet is relatively small compared to ones in the city, but it's a maze in some areas.

Townships have proper street names and house numbers - for the most part anyway. It is the large number of informal settlements that are a problem. The only way to direct emergency services in such areas is to have them meet up with someone at a known landmark like a shop or something and then ride with that person to the location of the emergency. This is obviously dangerous for ambulances.

Villages are also slightly problematic for lack of street names but the local cops usually know the area unlike urban areas where shacks spring up overnight.

Pixelatedzee

I had bad experience twice before after dialling 10111. In both cases I was transferred several times and had to wait for close to 10 minutes. After I finally got my emergency message through, through no ambulance was dispatched. Then I was called back after 4 hour, the caller wanted to see if I still required an ambulance.

Had a similar experience with a house robbery. The rents had to drive to the station to fill in a report for the sake of insurance

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Best way is to bypass the call centres entirely. Go to the police station and get their direct number. I have both my closest stations' numbers. If that fails I call a buddy of mine, who's stationed at one of the stations - if he's on duty he'll help me out. If he isn't he'll call whoever is on duty on their mobiles with my query.