One year of no load shedding

thechamp

Honorary Master
Cool, now a focus on maintenance and rehab will ensure no unplanned outages, Good work Eskom.

new_in_za2

Yeah, no. We had load shedding 3 times in the same week a month or two ago. The municipality put out warnings that the electricity grid was under heavy load and to please switch off geysers and so forth to avoid more load shedding.

ellyally

Expert Member
One year of no load shedding except for those who had load shedding;)

ambo

Expert Member
Yeah, no. We had load shedding 3 times in the same week a month or two ago. The municipality put out warnings that the electricity grid was under heavy load and to please switch off geysers and so forth to avoid more load shedding.
You need to make the distinction between national supply/generation shortages at Eskom and localised distribution problems (often at a municipal level). The former has stabilised, the latter still impacts end users far too much.

Kingofmybbknowitalls

In the meantime they have 'shed' some cables from a nearby distribution box last night, and of course the affected residents will now have to do without power until at least Thursday. :(

Lupus

Honorary Master
There are still so many distribution issues. Still got my inverter just in case, at least give 5 hours or so of some power

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Is'nt this due to a lot of mines downscaling and I read somewhere that some mines are generating their own power these days...

never underestimate how much power a mine can draw....

ellyally

Expert Member
Is'nt this due to a lot of mines downscaling and I read somewhere that some mines are generating their own power these days...

Yep, this is not due to eskom being great and supplying power, its due to them failing to supply causing economy to shrink, job losses etc, not just mining, manufacturing etc closing too. Demand for electricity is now less than it was a decade ago.

genetic

Honorary Master

No, mining production is up from last year. Also peak demand is up from last year too if you read the article.

Better mining and manufacturing figures have been posted and trade stats are also looking up. “While this won’t propel us into a high growth phase yet, the signs are certainly encouraging.”
http://businesstech.co.za/news/business/132728/this-is-what-the-election-result-means-for-the-rand/

Last edited:

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Just keep doing what you supposed to be doing and paid a huge amount for. There is no glory in achieving what you are tasked and paid to do.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Its great to not have loadshedding, nothing at work for a year and at home about 3 power outages... but that's what they were, local power outages, no some loadshedding as we in SA should understand the term (Eskom unable to meet demand). Those who want all power outages to be called loadshedding should get a clue...

genetic

Honorary Master
Its great to not have loadshedding, nothing at work for a year and at home about 3 power outages... but that's what they were, local power outages, no some loadshedding as we in SA should understand the term (Eskom unable to meet demand). Those who want all power outages to be called loadshedding should get a clue...
+1

We haven't had a single dip in power since the last load shedding debacle. So the local municipal supply is strong.

Some people can't grasp the the difference between a municipal supply and Eskom.

Flanders

Honorary Master
Countless power outages over the past year. Call them what you like but no power is no power.