Online ‘love’ scam leaves many SA women brokenhearted - and broke

schumi

Honorary Master
Pretoria - An online love scam is said to have generated hundreds of thousands of rand from lonely, unsuspecting women, money which may now find itself in the public purse.

Many women paid all the money they had to men they had never met, for love - one even couriered a precious ring to her online “lover” after her bank account was depleted.

But it was all a scam, and now the National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP) has turned to the Gauteng High Court, Pretoria, to have R80560 traced in the bank account used by the scammers, forfeited to the State.

The money is being held in a police bank account after a preservation order, while the forfeiture application was postponed to December 4.

The NDPP said it believed this money to be proceeds of organised crime. Molahleni Mopedi, a police officer at the Cybercrime Unit, stated in court papers he had received a tip-off that a Nigerian national was operating an online dating scam from a house in Kempton Park.

He described a man there who identified himself as Henry Bishop, but it was established his real name was Donald Dibei.

Mopedi also found cellphones which contained names and numbers of several women.

Upon further investigation, it came to light that the women had paid various amounts over to the men they had “fallen in love with” via Dibei’s online “dating” website.
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-af...any-sa-women-brokenhearted-and-broke-16501898 (Autoplaying vid advert)

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Upon further investigation, it came to light that the women had paid various amounts over to the men they had “fallen in love with” via Dibei’s online “dating” website.
Any idea what the website is?

ambroseg1

Executive Member
So what is the charge? Surely if someone pays over money for "love" and does not receive "love" that isn't a crime?

FaSMaN

Expert Member
So what is the charge? Surely if someone pays over money for "love" and does not receive "love" that isn't a crime?
Normally they are charged with fraud as the criminals, impersonate some one else with the intent to extort money.

Last edited:

schumi

Honorary Master
Duped women tell all about Durban love scam pain

DURBAN - Durban women are being duped into parting with thousands of rands in an international “romance scam” that’s leaving them out of pocket, and broken hearted.
Speaking out this week, two Durban women said they wanted to warn others not to part with their money. Internationally, more than 2000 people fall victim to the scam daily.
A Durban woman in her fifties, Stacey (not her real name), who had lost her husband after 32 years of marriage, became a target.
“I was new to the dating scene and didn’t know of these scams, but I’m fairly IT and tech savvy, so I wouldn’t have expected to have fallen victim to any online scam.
“I registered a profile on an online dating site innocently thinking that everyone there was also just trying to find the right partner, with no bad intentions,” she said.
Contact was made by a man named Jason last year, and after exchanging email addresses, Stacey was informed that he was an industrial engineer of Scottish and Hungarian descent, was widowed and had a grandson in England.
“We would chat, and he was wonderful. He was very attentive and became part of my everyday life. He had an accent which he explained due to his background, so I did not think too much of it. He even used Hungarian words, which I researched, and it was all correct.
“We had proper intellectual conversations, I had no real reason to suspect him, and it really was too good to be true,” said Stacey.
Her suspicions grew, however, when her requests for a video chat did not materialise.
“When he finally relented and agreed, an image of a man came up but there were problems with signal and audio,” she said.
The relationship continued for more than two months, and by now, he was on contract in Ghana and once his work was done, he wanted to fly to South Africa to be with her.
The day before he was due to land in the country, he said the machine swallowed his credit card and he urgently needed to pay his foreman $5000 before he left.
“There was an urgency to it, and I felt under pressure. At first I said I have no money, but he kept calling and so I deposited about R25000 via money transfer into his account in Ghana,” she said.
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/ios/news/duped-women-tell-all-about-durban-love-scam-pain-16625750

Sweevo

Honorary Master
Desperate times... yeah, all the local men are idiots, all the good ones that I read about must be overseas. Sad.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Some "females" have attempted these scams with me, has never worked. Maybe cause I'm just stingy.

Back in Mxit days this girl Natasha from Limpopo tried the catastrophe thing with me, obviously unsuccessfully, I sure hope she recovered from her "car accident".

ScroogeMcSunbird signing off.

Sweevo

Honorary Master
And I can't even get 1 chick while being legit.
That's because there are so few real profiles on dating sites IMO. The real ones don't last long - too many pervs hounding them IMO. They probably get to the point where they don't expect to find a legit relationship online.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Some "females" have attempted these scams with me, has never worked. Maybe cause I'm just stingy.

Back in Mxit days this girl Natasha from Limpopo tried the catastrophe thing with me, obviously unsuccessfully, I sure hope she recovered from her "car accident".

ScroogeMcSunbird signing off.
Or not horny enough.
Watched the Facebook sex scam on Carte Blanche. It was hilarious.