Online banking in SA: the best and the worst

blunt

Expert Member
Capitec? Really? I'm a big fan of the bank but their internet banking is in dire need of an update. I don't think it's very good at all, particularly its navigation (in addition to it looking like it came out of the 90's).

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Capitec? Really? I'm a big fan of the bank but their internet banking is in dire need of an update. I don't think it's very good at all, particularly its navigation (in addition to it looking like it came out of the 90's).
Agree. That, and the fact that you can't buy airtime, electricity, etc through their online banking platform is the only reason I haven't moved over 100% from FNB. There's no doubt that FNB has the best online banking experience.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
And the update to fnb is probably what drove their numbers down. People HATE change

McT

The Humble Scot!
FNB's new look and feel has taken some getting used to. It still feels a little disjointed in places. The overkill of orange is hurts the eyes. However, I will concede that they are great for the number of things you can do through the portal.

And the update to fnb is probably what drove their numbers down. People HATE change
Aye matey! 100% agreed.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I'm not mad about the graphic gimmicks on FNB. Prefer cleaner uncluttered like Investec.

First of all, not a week goes by that my colleagues and I don't complain about Standard Bank's Business Online package.

Our group of companies use the Enterprise versions of both FNB and Standard Bank for companies. The FNB change was a disaster, but it's all sorted out now. By far the best banking experience of any of the Banks. Whatever you do, please do not even think about using Standard Bank's Business Online package. I've never come across such a poorly designed and unfriendly interface in my life. It looks like it was designed by Charted Accountants and original DOS programmers. Paying a creditor (even a pre-loaded creditor) takes forever and every step is just plain tedious.

When it comes to personal banking (non-enterprise systems), I can't comment on Standard Bank. I've heard it isn't half bad. I have an FNB account, which I love. I also have a Capitec account, which I love. Yes, Capitec looks like it was designed in the 90's, but it works and it's CHEAP! My wife has an ABSA profile and they've stepped up their game. ABSA's interface actually competes with FNB now.

Lastly, just in case you missed my previous comments, please stay away from Standard Bank's Business Online package. It truly deserves this negative review/opinion.

MKFrost

Expert Member
Have to agree that Standard Bank's online offering is definitely not the best user experience

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Who the hell are Columinate? I was never consulted.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
Thats about right. I use Capitec. Its been the best online banking experience for imo.

garp

Executive Member
Nedbank's consumer banking site has always been a bit behind on functionality although they seem to have added quite a lot of new features recently. I get the impression that it's much more reliable than some of the other banks, though. Nedbank business banking online, however, is a farking abortion.

Flip-Flop

Capitec online banking may not be pretty, but it works. Cant think of a single time where it did not work or had problems.

duderoo

Expert Member
May be but it does the job.