Online booking system for South African driver licence renewals launched

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Online booking? Why not just do it all online like the UK does? :confused:

OneKnight

Exactly.

Visiting the Dept. of Home Affairs in Centurion is an even worse experience.

Been trying to get in there for quite some time, but at 8am there is a row of about 300 frowning people standing outside on the sidewalk waiting. People also get mugged on a regular basis when crossing the bridge from the Centurion Mall parking lot to their offices, as they have no safe parking available close by.

Don't understand how in blue blazes Centurion don't have the same computerized system that the Akasia and other branches have. It is a major hub between PTA and JHB. :confused:

Last edited:

cyb3rt

Alright guys, I will guinea pig this one for us because I lost my license card a couple of weeks ago. Booked for next week Thursday morning 10h00 at Akasia.

First impressions are very good, the registration process was smooth and easy to understand. There were information bubbles and explanations for the questions / stuff most of us won't hear about every day. Only hiccup was the math issue with the first page displaying incorrect age (calculation issue I guess from ID number), but that is luckily not a show-stopper.

The whole process took me about 5 minutes, and I received the two required emails (to print) within a minute or two after completion.

Last edited:

whatwhat

Executive Member
These government offices would be so much more efficient if they just employed more competent staff.

Usually there is 1 or 2 people at each location that knows what to do, and run around the whole time helping the other 50 people working there on basics like turning on the computer.

But hey, people get what they vote for.

Stokstert

Executive Member
Alright guys, I will guinea pig this one for us because I lost my license card a couple of weeks ago. Booked for next week Thursday morning 10h00 at Akasia.

Just check your change when paying, seen people been short-changed. She tried it with me too.

ttygt

So how does this work in practice?

You rock up at the appointed time and just walk pass the 300 people in line to the front?
Then try and and convince slimcurity that you MUST go in AT ONCE?

AND they actually squeeze you into the existing group busy on the inside with their "eye-test" and whatnot?

And nobody in any queue is going to mutter a word......?

edit
You are not seriously saying they won't let you queue WITHOUT an appointment?

edit
yes it seems you do just jump queue, also you need your own eye-test done previously....

Last edited:

krycor

Honorary Master
Printed forms.. **goodluck**

With printed forms filled out, eye tests report and photos (which aren’t used) you still stand in line with everyone else doing all the above at most places. It’s hilarious which they say the form is the wrong color.

I’d be impressed if this works like the home affairs bank system

R13...

Honorary Master

Jobs. The workers will probably go on strikes if the whole thing goes online. Which is ironically funny because it looks like you're inconveniencing them when you show up there for service.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Jobs. The workers will probably go on strikes if the whole thing goes online. Which is ironically funny because it looks like you're inconveniencing them when you show up there for service.

Nobody need lose their jobs. Applications still need to be checked and processed.

So how does this work in practice?

You rock up at the appointed time and just walk pass the 300 people in line to the front?
Then try and and convince slimcurity that you MUST go in AT ONCE?

AND they actually squeeze you into the existing group busy on the inside with their "eye-test" and whatnot?

And nobody in any queue is going to mutter a word......?

edit
You are not seriously saying they won't let you queue WITHOUT an appointment?

edit
yes it seems you do just jump queue, also you need your own eye-test done previously....

The system is useless. You will not rock up and pass 300 people in the queue. You will still need to wait in the row to get your eyes tested, then the row to pay.

I do not see the use in this system at all. Simply rock up early and wait 3-5 hours to be helped.

There is no system available that would lesser the time you will eventually have to stand and wait to be helped.

This system would have been helpful if you could get your eyes tested at a private optometrist and then go online, upload the report, pay for your license and have it delivered by courier without the need to visit the offices at all.

cyb3rt

Sorry but what's wrong here?

You will turn 31 in December right?
They work on the year not the day and month.

lol seriously? Why purely work on the year, doesn't even make sense.

ttygt

The system is useless. You will not rock up and pass 300 people in the queue. You will still need to wait in the row to get your eyes tested, then the row to pay.

I do not see the use in this system at all. Simply rock up early and wait 3-5 hours to be helped.

There is no system available that would lesser the time you will eventually have to stand and wait to be helped.

This system would have been helpful if you could get your eyes tested at a private optometrist and then go online, upload the report, pay for your license and have it delivered by courier without the need to visit the offices at all.

Go read the FAQ's on their webpage.

You DO skip the eye test, but I do not know where you do your photo then.......