Online gambling is terrible news for SA's youth

grok

Honorary Master
At least when they're playing poker online they're not burning police stations down..

Magnum

Executive Member
In SA everyday is a gamble. It is flip of the coin whether you will be robbed, Shot or Abducted Raped and killed.

theratman

Honorary Master
Just re-reading the article again and there are issues with 2 of the examples they use to paint how evil and bad online gambling is.

Melissa Morris was already a gambling addict thanks to her father taking her to pubs with slot machines.
Linda Myeni was already a drug addict, so addictive personality on full display and the gambling is a means to an end for her drug addiction.
It's very one-sided, I get the point but they don't do a great job with the examples.

MagNorthDigital

I was raised with one piece of advice about gambling of any sort (time, money, limbs...)

Don't gamble what you are not willing to lose.
To this day, I have not gambled with anything except driving too fast

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I was raised with one piece of advice about gambling of any sort (time, money, limbs...)

Don't gamble what you are not willing to lose.
To this day, I have not gambled with anything except driving too fast
So, gambled with the most expensive commodity?

netstrider

Expert Member
Family knows of a millionaire that lost it all due to gambling.

I've only ever gambled with small change. R10 here and there. Won some, lost some.

Could count my attempts on one hand.

Only ever played the LOTTO once.

Nowadays the gambling I do is with Mybb comps and surveys and crypto.

MagNorthDigital

So, gambled with the most expensive commodity?
My life means nothing if not for the people in it. I would have died at peace, doing 270 down a highway. Alive for the last time. After that, after getting off the bike and realizing that death rides faster than I ever could, never again. I drive like a grandparent now, if I even drive at all. Haven't gotten onto a motorcycle since.

Every man is born lucky, you just get to see it play out.

I want to die like my grandfather, eyes closed, in his sleep on a warm sunny day, not like his passengers screaming in terror.

Chunk20

Expert Member
You can see some of you never experienced the thrill of being down to your last hundred couple grand down and making it all back again.

Or doubling your money have had one too many beers and said **** I can make more and giving it all back a few hands later.

It is nothing but exciting.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
You can see some of you never experienced the thrill of being down to your last hundred couple grand down and making it all back again.

Or doubling your money have had one too many beers and said **** I can make more and giving it all back a few hands later.

It is nothing but exciting.
I won money and didn't care and I lost money and I didn't care. Just can't seem to give a fck about most things though.

animal531

Expert Member
I played online poker back in the day when it was still legal. It was fun, but pretty time consuming and tiring.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
A friend of mine borrowed R1 500 from me because he told me he had a "family emergency". He was going to give it back to me the following day.

I only found out a few days later from another friend that he recently developed a gambling addiction. He also sold his phone, also apparently for money to gamble so now I can't get hold of him and I've basically resigned myself to the fact that I will never see that money again.

I only have myself to blame because he has an addictive personality. He smokes weed daily, but I thought I was helping him with his emergency. He got retrenched at the end of December and I found out that he's getting his retrenchment payout at the end of this month. I almost feel like going to sit at his house on the 25th and waiting for him there.

It's probably the fact that he lost his job that led him to gambling to make a quick buck, but the way things are going now he is busy losing everything. He also moved out of his rental unit beck to his parents.