Online Gaming

sparticus

Expert Member
I play a lot online and recently moved to an area with Fibre. I curently have a 100MB line but the gaming experience is no better ? Am i missing something ? I test the line and it runs at 100MB but its not better, as a matter of fact sometimes its worse.

For reference I play mostly BF3 on xbox 360 and BF1/BF5 on xbox1

Any ideas please ?

vermillon

I play a lot online and recently moved to an area with Fibre. I curently have a 100MB line but the gaming experience is no better ? Am i missing something ? I test the line and it runs at 100MB but its not better, as a matter of fact sometimes its worse.

Any ideas please ?
What do you mean your gaming experience is no better? Are you referring to the ping? If so what is your current ping and what were you getting on ADSL (also what speed ADSL did you have ?)

sparticus

Expert Member
What do you mean your gaming experience is no better? Are you referring to the ping? If so what is your current ping and what were you getting on ADSL (also what speed ADSL did you have ?)

Cant recall what my ping were to be honest, will check what it is tonight. I use to have a 10Mb adsl which ran at about 5-6 mb when I tested it from the console, on my Fibre I get about 30Mbs.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Cant recall what my ping were to be honest, will check what it is tonight. I use to have a 10Mb adsl which ran at about 5-6 mb when I tested it from the console, on my Fibre I get about 30Mbs.

Are there locally hosted Xbox servers?

sparticus

Expert Member
If i recall and I could be wrong my ping was about 300ms. When I say gaming expereince is no better I refer to Lag, I can tell its slow and also many times I cant even move due to lag. More now with fibre than with adsl

CT_Biker

Expert Member
If i recall and I could be wrong my ping was about 300ms. When I say gaming expereince is no better I refer to Lag, I can tell its slow and also many times I cant even move due to lag. More now with fibre than with adsl

Who is your ISP? Sheer internet speed doesn't resolve high Ping. Xbox's also have slow WIFI chips. Use an ethernet cable then test.

sparticus

Expert Member
Who is your ISP? Sheer internet speed doesn't resolve high Ping. Xbox's also have slow WIFI chips. Use an ethernet cable then test.

Webafrica, I feel that the ethernet cable is a good option yes, thanks !!!!!

wcm

If the ethernet cable doesn't help you could ask them to reset your ports

Qrox

Expert Member
I went from 10mb ADSL to 100mb fibre as well. On average my ping dropped about 30 both locally and internationally.
Theres a lot that could influence ping. ISP, where your server is located, how your connecting to your router, etc.

So I'd say you should have had a slight reduction in ping, but don't expect miracles.

zolly

Expert Member

Any ideas please ?

1) Total bandwidth isn't that important when gaming unless you're sharing your line. Latency (ping) is much more important, and the quality of a network and the technology being used plays a major factor here. For example, ADSL networks from CPT get about 170 ping to EU at their best. On a good fiber network, you can shave off 20 ms and get about 150 ping.

2) If you're getting about 300 ping, you're most likely being put on US servers. Either find an ISP that has access to the new cable to south america (I think it's called SACS) for lower ping, or find out if there's some way to play on EU servers or against SA players. I don't play on console so I have no idea if you can set your region to play on.

3) Yes, wifi can also be an issue. Rather use a cable if you can.

theratman

Honorary Master
Correct, it's a lower ping that you're after, not just higher speed. 100mb seems overkill.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
I suspect this is poor routing tables, log a ticket with WA after you test with an Ethernet Cable.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
1) Total bandwidth isn't that important when gaming unless you're sharing your line. Latency (ping) is much more important, and the quality of a network and the technology being used plays a major factor here. For example, ADSL networks from CPT get about 170 ping to EU at their best. On a good fiber network, you can shave off 20 ms and get about 150 ping.

2) If you're getting about 300 ping, you're most likely being put on US servers. Either find an ISP that has access to the new cable to south america (I think it's called SACS) for lower ping, or find out if there's some way to play on EU servers or against SA players. I don't play on console so I have no idea if you can set your region to play on.

I got way less than that to EU both on ADSL and fiber. I assume by EU you mean London, have about 145ms fiber Frogfoot, 150ms Openserve and Vox and about 155ms on ADSL.

sparticus

Expert Member
Logged a call with WA, they reset my port and my ping went from 300 to 260, still high I feel. I will try the cable tonight. Thanks fpr the advice guys.

sparticus

Expert Member

No local servers avail on BF3 but there is for BF1 and BF5.

StoneCold

Expert Member
Logged a call with WA, they reset my port and my ping went from 300 to 260, still high I feel. I will try the cable tonight. Thanks fpr the advice guys.
Definitely sounds like you're playing on international servers if your ping is that high.