Online glasses ordering

gboy

Expert Member
So it's time for new glasses, as an experienced glasse wearer for over 30 years I kind of know what I am looking for.

Getting a script from an optition is simple enough, I came across https://www.smartbuyglasses.co.za
I know that they are probably in Hong Kong or somewhere but the prices are not bad, and they do offer what seem like quite good lenses. I just can't stand the "gym salesman" approach of the specsavers and the like. And thir range is limited.

Has anyone used a online company like this before? How are they?

gboy

Expert Member
Thanks, seems like a good idea to look at, progressive lenses and a decent frame start at 8k at torga before blue light coatings. And quotas to meet salesman drive me up the wall.

greg0205

Honorary Master
From a previous thread:

I've done this twice.

Eye test at Torga Optical a little over two weeks ago - R400,00

Two pairs of prescription glasses and a spare frame, ordered on the 29th of December - R1 005,04

Forwarding to SA - R495,58

Postbox-Courier should have them on a flight to SA by the weekend.

R1 900,62

Done.

This was June 2018 and around R800 odd, all-in. There was a similar thread at the time.

View attachment 994192
The new order was delivered on the 28th of January:

IMG_1010.jpeg

There was one additional fee at customs, R323,88.

So, two pairs with my prescription and a spare frame for R2 224,50.

10/10 will order from Zenni again.

3Gee

Expert Member
The Optical industry is a huge money spinner, profit margins are insane

cpu.

Executive Member
From a previous thread:

The new order was delivered on the 28th of January:

View attachment 1027982

There was one additional fee at customs, R323,88.

So, two pairs with my prescription and a spare frame for R2 224,50.

10/10 will order from Zenni again.
What special additions did you add? Bifocal, anti-glare etc?

greg0205

Honorary Master
What special additions did you add? Bifocal, anti-glare etc?
Nothing really unique as far as the sph/cyl and axis of my prescription goes, and I got the anti reflective coating... There are other coating options too, but I've never figured I need them.

To give you some idea, for one pair, the frames were $12,95, and the total with lenses and coating was $26,90. The second pair was $6,95 for the frames and the total with lenses was $20,90.

There's a $4,95 local shipping cost with the USPS and then you need to use a forwarding service like Postbox-Courier or Aramex to get them here.

Top tips: You'll need a PayPal account, and if you use Postbox-Courier, they'll give you a unique account number... When you register an account with Zenni, add that number after your surname and make sure to add 'office delivery' and 'PBC USA' in the delivery address fields.

cpu.

Executive Member
Nothing really unique as far as the sph/cyl and axis of my prescription goes, and I got the anti reflective coating... There are other coating options too, but I've never figured I need them.

To give you some idea, for one pair, the frames were $12,95, and the total with lenses and coating was $26,90. The second pair was $6,95 for the frames and the total with lenses was $20,90.

There's a $4,95 local shipping cost with the USPS and then you need to use a forwarding service like Postbox-Courier or Aramex to get them here.

Top tips: You'll need a PayPal account, and if you use Postbox-Courier, they'll give you a unique account number... When you register an account with Zenni, add that number after your surname and make sure to add 'office delivery' and 'PBC USA' in the delivery address fields.
Thank you.

Dee96

Expert Member
Bump... did you end up buying it online.
What was your experience

gboy

Expert Member
Bump... did you end up buying it online.
What was your experience
I did, got them back in May, very good quality, best lenses in a long time. I was sceptical but very surprised, how they turned out.

Going to be hard pressed to go to torga and specsavers again.

Dee96

Expert Member
Hi All

Just a quick update, I ordered from Zenni yesterday and chose to use MyUS as the forwarding service.
A similar pair at Spec savers was quoted at R3.4k after the "R1500 off" promo.

Costs thus far shown below from Zenni directly

1632489637406.png

If you would like to me to update this thread on the order status, please let me know or like the post so I can gauge if there is interest

greg0205

Honorary Master
Any customs fees will be charged when the package arrives at customs.

If MyUS are anything like PBC, they'll notify you, bill you and settle the customs account, and deliver the package after it's released by customs.

Dee96

Expert Member
Update

Order placed 23 September.
Arrived at USPS shipping centre in California on 4 Oct.

From there, it is going to MyUS address in Florida(expected 9 Oct) and then Fedex to Jhb.
Will update once more info is received

airborne

Honorary Master
Those prices are amazing but how do you select the frames without trying them on?

Dee96

Expert Member
Those prices are amazing but how do you select the frames without trying them on?
Hi

Virtual try on feature and I basically ordered an exact copy of my current frame, in a different colour.
I am able to measure my current frame so I know it will fit my face

Dee96

Expert Member
Hi All

Total costs per below

1634641063454.png

Timeline:
Ordered from Zenni: 23 Sept
Delivered to MyUS: 7 Oct
Shipped from MyUS: 12 Oct
Delivered to Jhb: 18 Oct

Potential ways to get it cheaper
1) Can chose normal Fedex shipping(5 days extra and $3 cheaper) rather than priority.
2) I prepaid Customs to MyUS as the glasses are classified as sunglasses due to the tinting. If the amount was over the MyUS estimate, MyUS would have covered the difference. You can roll the dice with SARS but it may add a time delay.
Adding in the R99 for the eye test, it was alot cheaper as my current pair was R3600 and is the same specifications as pair 1 above.

Will review quality sometime next week

Last edited: