Online piracy more popular than ever

Sl8er

Executive Member
Online piracy more popular than ever...

...so companies and industries lost 543-bagillion-dollars? :whistling:

eg2505

Honorary Master
You can't fight free, it's simply impossible no matter where you come from...

Rich or poor ,big corporate or guy starting out trying to get a deal.

You can't fight free, deal with it.

terencej

Expert Member
Locally I can say that if they stop this geo-blocking bull-shiit then people will pirate less. It will not stop, but it will be less.

I use Netflix as a streaming service. But because of licensing a lot of shows/movies can not be watched in SA on Netflix or Showmax. So the next logical place to go is torrents.

I am happy to pay my subs. I pay for all my games on steam/origin. I have Netflix and I pay for google play music.

Games : I do not pirate because I can get all the games I want at good prices and sales(Steam/Origin/Humble bundle)
Music : I do not pirate because for a very fair price I get all the music I want(google play music)
Movies and TV shows : Gets pirated since the the streaming services I pay for is Geo-Blocked.

How do these "Big" corporate not get it into their thick selfish skulls. Make all shows easily available like the gaming/music services are doing at a fair price and people will pirate less.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Pretty sure most of those clicks are just from Kodi/Terrarium TV users looking for a link that doesn't buffer.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Locally I can say that if they stop this geo-blocking bull-shiit then people will pirate less. It will not stop, but it will be less.

I use Netflix as a streaming service. But because of licensing a lot of shows/movies can not be watched in SA on Netflix or Showmax. So the next logical place to go is torrents.

I am happy to pay my subs. I pay for all my games on steam/origin. I have Netflix and I pay for google play music.

Games : I do not pirate because I can get all the games I want at good prices and sales(Steam/Origin/Humble bundle)
Music : I do not pirate because for a very fair price I get all the music I want(google play music)
Movies and TV shows : Gets pirated since the the streaming services I pay for is Geo-Blocked.

How do these "Big" corporate not get it into their thick selfish skulls. Make all shows easily available like the gaming/music services are doing at a fair price and people will pirate less.
+1

xrapidx

Honorary Master
So it is piracy if I go to Google Videos - search for "Walking Dead SxxExx" - and watch the latest episode? Minimal effort required.

Discovered this was possible last week when my home network was down.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
So, I googled the definition of piracy in the context of online and got this ....

the practice of using the internet to illegally copy software and pass it on to other people:
Source: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/internet-piracy

So, seeing as my mates can download their own stuff, and I dont share my stuff with them, technically, its not pirating?
And seeing as the definition says -
the practice of using the internet
- does that mean that once its on a drive and is passed from drive to drive with no internet involvement, its not really pirating but rather - sharing is caring?

Either way - its still a popular thing - like a fidget spinner - apparently.

grok

Honorary Master
If you don't give us all access to the same stuff we will share it amongst each other, easy as that.

cpu.

Expert Member
So, seeing as my mates can download their own stuff, and I dont share my stuff with them, technically, its not pirating?
And seeing as the definition says - - does that mean that once its on a drive and is passed from drive to drive with no internet involvement, its not really pirating but rather - sharing is caring?
No. You even quoted the bit that said illegally copy from internet and THEN share it with other people (with/without internet).

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I also stopped pirating games because of the rise of Steam / Humble Bundle / GOG.com ... there's not much reason to pirate games anymore.
Those that are just too expensive I avoid until they come down in price.

I wish the same thing would happen with movies and television.
Do away with region restrictions and Geo Blocking completely, there is no point to it any more.

Same with music.

garp

Executive Member
You can't fight free, it's simply impossible no matter where you come from...

Rich or poor ,big corporate or guy starting out trying to get a deal.

You can't fight free, deal with it.
Nonsense. You can fight free with convenience, quality and reasonable price. Hence the success of Netflix. If they gave everyone a cheap, reliable way to legitimately stream all content 99% of ppl would go for it rather than mucking around with torrents/kodi/nbz etc, etc.

Pitbull

Verboten

Goe-Locking is the current reason for Downloading. When I had access to ALL Netflix regions I had no need to download. Now I just download again. SA Netflix too limited.