Online shoppers are suckers for products with lots of reviews

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Also depends on the review, but yes, more reviews and I am more likely to buy it.
Don't assume though that I will buy according to only your reviews, I will also check places like Amazon/other 3rd party sites for reviews.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
A review gives a level of extra confidence... but it would never be the REASON I buy a product.

hj007

Expert Member
They still need to be good reviews, I wouldn't buy a product if it got less than 3/5 for instance even if most popular.

Really am not sure what to do about fake / manufacturer-influenced reviews. Amazon is starting to be full of those fake reviews now because the incentives are just too high.. or even worse, where people manage to make knock-off products that manage to get the "buy box" and are listed as the real product.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
They needed a study for this? Goodness gracious just take a look at Amazon and all the fake reviewers reviewing Chinese stuff.

R13...

Honorary Master
Amazon's are better than most at at least weeding out the fakes to a extend. The verified purchaser tag helps a bit. It also makes sense that you'd want to buy something that's been reviewed extensively. I mean it's online, not like a shop where you can cop a feel before deciding

bigboy529

Expert Member
I hardly check reviews, ok maybe on Amazon but that's it and I definatly won't buy a product or trust a seller based on reviews only. You never know how many reviews are fake, how many were paid for etc.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
/waits for "shoppers are suckers for items on 'special'" article

ITCynic

Expert Member
From my latest experience, Bidorbuy just does not display the negative reviews on the product page, you have to view all reviews to see any negatives.

I suppose that is one way of only showing positive reviews.

Petec

Expert Member
If you go by reviews, one needs to be a bit tech savvy, to spot the fake bot reviews and reviews that the supplier's own staff have put up.
It's tricky, but one can mostly pick out the legit reviews.

Unfortunately, Joe/Jane public are easily taken in, hence the proliferation of fake reviews.

For me, a good telling point (among others), are the review sections and seeing how often and how well, the supplier engages with negative and positive comments/reviews.