Online shopping boom in South Africa due to coronavirus

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Very misleading. Online shopping has collapsed as much as regular retail has. Those stats only show an interest in coronavirus-related products, which also applies to brick-and-mortar.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Very misleading. Online shopping has collapsed as much as regular retail has. Those stats only show an interest in coronavirus-related products, which also applies to brick-and-mortar.
Depends on your definition..

Woolies and PnP have seen a surge in online ordering... for standard food products.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
If I want a new phone now, I'd rather Takealot as opposed to Game.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Depends on your definition..

Woolies and PnP have seen a surge in online ordering... for standard food products.
That's still coronavirus-related. People need groceries and don't want to physically go to the supermarket if they can help it.

If I want a new phone now, I'd rather Takealot as opposed to Game.
Most people have no interest in buying non-essential stuff at the moment. Business is super slow, people have been laid off or are worried about being laid off, they don't know how long their savings need to last to put food on the table and cover basic expenses etc.

The furthest thing from the average person's mind right now is where they are going to buy a cellphone or a pair of jeans.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
That's still coronavirus-related. People need groceries and don't want to physically go to the supermarket if they can help it.

Most people have no interest in buying non-essential stuff at the moment. Business is super slow, people have been laid off or are worried about being laid off, they don't know how long their savings need to last to put food on the table and cover basic expenses etc.

The furthest thing from the average person's mind right now is where they are going to buy a cellphone or a pair of jeans.
Yes its virus related, but its the start of a cultural shift that will see these things being used more and more into the future. Especially when people see how easy and convenient it can be.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident

My point is online alternatives are going to be perceived better whether it's cornflakes, a cellphone or jeans.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Yes its virus related, but its the start of a cultural shift that will see these things being used more and more into the future. Especially when people see how easy and convenient it can be.
All me and my family have seen is how broken the online grocery shopping is. Can't schedule deliveries in a time-slot that is of much practical use, loads out of stock, delivery slots being missed by an entire day and prices are higher than what we see in-store.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
All me and my family have seen is how broken the online grocery shopping is. Can't schedule deliveries in a time-slot that is of much practical use, loads out of stock, delivery slots being missed by an entire day and prices are higher than what we see in-store.
Weird...

I've not experienced anything that i need as out of stock, prices are EXACTLY the same as in store...

Yes the delivery slots are a pain at the moment, and that is indicative of the additional volumes they're dealing with.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Purchasing boom online now legal thanks to Coronavirus?

ebendl

Expert Member
I do love how somebody searched Pricecheck for Dischem hand sanitiser. :D

We personally have had mixed results with online grocery shopping -- but then in the past we've made the mistake to do our normally grocery shopping on Valentine's day.

At the moment, however, the general concern is that I need supplies as soon as possible and with some shops only scheduling deliveries 5+ days from now, I'm probably giving it a skip.

Takealot however has been as good as usual during this time.

I also do like the fact that Dischem supports 3-word locations -- makes it much easier to pinpoint the exact spot where I want the guy to come and deliver.