Online shopping tech prices – Takelot vs Loot

PhireSide

Executive Member
Confirming what we all suspected - Takealot ain't cheap anymore :(

Reactions: McT

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Takealot has always been overpriced for computer components. I often just browse this section to laugh at them.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I was fortunately able to cancel my order on Takealot a few days ago for a pair of headphones when I discovered them on another local online store for R500 less.

Nonetheless, I have no doubt Takealot fleeced me for my xmas shopping. Ever since they bought Kalahari they've stopped caring about prices. And Kalahari was amazing for students and their textbooks - all gone now.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Confirms my sentiment that Takelot's pricing has become quite a lot less competitive than many of their peers. Some of the top brands they used to offer have also dropped off their offering.

Combine this with the increasing number of service related issues makes them a last resort.

Quintrix

Takealot has one major advantage, it is known and trusted in the public mind. With all the hype around fake sites, hacking, physhing and spying , putin vs obama, wikileaks etc - Joe Public is very carefull.

MBB's may know about the other options out there but Joe Public will feel safer with Takealot and are more likely to make their first purchase from them. Most people have never heard of the other two comapies.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Once loot gets eBucjs support its bye bye takealookattheinflatedwaspricealot

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I bought a PSU from Loot this week because it was the cheapest around, TA wants R600 more than Loot for the same unit.

Ghost29

Um, this looks like extreme cherry-picking. I am building two new PCs and funnily enough, my go to stores are Wootware, Loot and Takealot and almost every item, Takealot was the cheapest (although they did lack stock of some of the items I was looking for).

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Um, this looks like extreme cherry-picking. I am building two new PCs and funnily enough, my go to stores are Wootware, Loot and Takealot and almost every item, Takealot was the cheapest (although they did lack stock of some of the items I was looking for).
Takealot can't stiff customers on PC gear like they can with other stuff, as they have lots of local competition in that area. I would expect them to have less deviation from expected pricing.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
The shipping time for the selected items might create the wrong impression.

For many things that you are actually likely to buy on Takealot, the shipping time is 1-2 days. Their range of products is also larger.

I've bought games on Loot where it took over a week to ship, whereas they were available for shipping immediately on Takealot.

So yes Takealot fails on price, but they're not so bad at everything else, all things considered...

chrisc

Executive Member
Apart from the price, the service from Loot is outstanding. Fast delivery times and if an item is sourced overseas, it always arrives a day or two early

I had a coffee table book which arrived with a bent cover. It was replaced within 10 days without a murmur

cobuskruger

Exactly. Putting aside how non-scientific a study is that uses only five products, three of these are not even being sold by Takealot. Remember they're a storefront for many other companies too and don't control those prices.

On top of that, their delivery times are amazing. I once ordered a kettle just after getting to the office and received it 3 PM on the same day. Nobody else does that.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Thought I'd revive this thread after buying a new network switch today.

The one I bought:

The same one at Takealot:

How? Even? More than double the price? :wtf:

ToAsTeD

Expert Member
Yeah i've never really seen Takealot as well-priced but the general buyer does have better peace of mind while shopping there.