Only 3% of South Africans to get COVID-19 vaccine in first half of 2021

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Only 3% of South Africans to get COVID-19 vaccine in first half of 2021

There will only be enough Covax vaccines distributed to South Africa to cover 3% of its population in the first half of 2021, the City Press reports.

Speaking in a webinar, Deputy director-general of health Dr Anban Pillay said that each of the 190 countries set to receive the Covax vaccine would only get enough to cover 3% of their populations in this period.

CAPS LOCK

Executive Member
Cost R2.2 billion for 3% of the pop, do I read it correctly?

Anyhow, would like to see cost breakdown per vaccine.

John Tempus

Executive Member
This will turn out like Queen Kopdoek tender for essentially fake antiretrovirals thanks to kickbacks and many people died due to the fake cr@p she allowed to be distributed.

This vaccine is already in brand new territory but it will not surprise me if Queen Kopdoek end up distributing sugar water injections.

neoprema

Executive Member
What i'm trying to find out, cause it seems there's not much info is - is Covax THE ONLY Vaccine source South Africa is using? Are we not or have we not approached others in parallel to purchase?

What happened to manufacturing locally? And the J&J Vaccine? (which i don't think is the Covax one)

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
What i'm trying to find out, cause it seems there's not much info is - is Covax THE ONLY Vaccine source South Africa is using? Are we not or have we not approached others in parallel to purchase?

What happened to manufacturing locally? And the J&J Vaccine? (which i don't think is the Covax one)

It's still very early days, with most of the approved vaccines already pre-allocated, a long list still undergoing testing, limited production, and huge worldwide demand. Don't expect too much anytime soon.

Some background reading:

Reactions: Yuu