Only a Minority of Afrikaans Speakers are White

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
More black, coloured, and Indian South Africans speak Afrikaans at home than white South Africans, the SA Institute of Race Relations (SAIRR) said on Monday.

According to a recent SAIRR study, based on data from the 2011 census, only 40 percent of those who speak Afrikaans at home are whites.

This means that out of 6.9 million people who speak the language at home, 2.7 million are white, while the rest are from other racial groups.

English is the home language of almost five million South Africans; of these, 1.6 million (or 34 percent) are white.

Almost 1.2 million black South Africans have English as their mother tongue, while coloured people and Indians accounted for nearly 950,000 and 1.1 million, respectively.

SAIRR researcher Thuthukani Ndebele said English was only the fourth most-spoken home language, but was the preferred language of learning in South Africa.

"About 64 percent of the 11.5 million pupils in public schools in 2010 chose to be taught in English, reflecting a global trend for the preference of the language."

Internationally, at least one-in-four people speak English with some level of competence.

IsiZulu was the most common home language in South Africa, with 11.6 million South Africans listing it as their mother tongue.

Source : Sapa /mjs/hdw/jk/rod
Date : 22 Apr 2013 12:47

Rocket Raccoon

Executive Member
More black, coloured, and Indian South Africans speak Afrikaans at home than white South Africans, the SA Institute of Race Relations (SAIRR) said on Monday.

According to a recent SAIRR study, based on data from the 2011 census, only 40 percent of those who speak Afrikaans at home are whites.
Why are the blacks, coloureds, and Indians ganging up on the whites? What about their own individual figures?

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
In the 90s 97% of the coloured community had Afrikaans as its home language. I know this figure has dropped a lot as many parents have decided to bring up their children as English. Rather sad as the Afrikaans owes much of its richness to the coloured community.

AlmightyBender

Expert Member
I met an accidental racist that claimed that the Afrikaans spoken by non-whites was not pure Afrikaans, and thus can't be classified as Afrikaans. I asked what he thought of Afrikaans being a not pure version of Dutch. He was not happy.

Mila

Honorary Master
// shock horror
:rolleyes:

Oh bloody hell. Who thought they were? But be careful Afrikaans is dying.

Cool E

Expert Member
in my village we normally use Afrikaans during community meetings and activities.

Pynet

Those Indians he used for his survey conned him good.

This guys says there is more Indian Afrikaans speakers then Coloured .......... WTF?

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
I met an accidental racist that claimed that the Afrikaans spoken by non-whites was not pure Afrikaans, and thus can't be classified as Afrikaans. I asked what he thought of Afrikaans being a not pure version of Dutch. He was not happy.
You should have told him afrikaans was not invented by whites. :D

AlmightyBender

Expert Member
You should have told him afrikaans was not invented by whites. :D
Nooit didn't have any toilet paper on hand for him pooping his pants after a bomb like that :D

I also asked him if the language that I was speaking wasn't English because I wasn't speaking exactly like the queen. He just got this confused look on his face like this: :confused:

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Those Indians he used for his survey conned him good.

This guys says there is more Indian Afrikaans speakers then Coloured .......... WTF?
More like comprehension fail on our part :eek:

The 1.1 million charos are English speakers :D

Pynet

// shock horror
:rolleyes:

Oh bloody hell. Who thought they were? But be careful Afrikaans is dying.
Was a horror being forced to learn that in school. I told the teachers its a waste of my time ... ....

What was the lesson called, where you take the letters in front and move it to the back .....

Necuno

Court Jester
No ****. Majority speakers of Pedi are black :erm:

This means that out of 6.9 million people who speak the language at home, 2.7 million are white, while the rest are from other racial groups.

English is the home language of almost five million South Africans; of these, 1.6 million (or 34 percent) are white.

Almost 1.2 million black South Africans have English as their mother tongue, while coloured people and Indians accounted for nearly 950,000 and 1.1 million, respectively.

SAIRR researcher Thuthukani Ndebele said English was only the fourth most-spoken home language, but was the preferred language of learning in South Africa.

"About 64 percent of the 11.5 million pupils in public schools in 2010 chose to be taught in English, reflecting a global trend for the preference of the language."

Internationally, at least one-in-four people speak English with some level of competence.

IsiZulu was the most common home language in South Africa, with 11.6 million South Africans listing it as their mother tongue.

Source : Sapa /mjs/hdw/jk/rod
Date : 22 Apr 2013 12:47

Mila

Honorary Master
Was a horror being forced to learn that in school. I told the teachers its a waste of my time ... ....

What was the lesson called, where you take the letters in front and move it to the back .....
When were you at school?

I don't think learning any language is a waste of time.

Greylor

Expert Member
The real questions is what percentage of a races population speak a language, not what percentage of the language is spoken by what race group.

m4dh4tt3r

seriously, indians speak afrikaans? never in my life have I heard an indian talk afrikaans. I've seen them in classes doing work but never do they actually speak it.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
The domestic that works for my sister every Saturday brings her grand child with her as the mother also works. Mbali's best subject in school is Afrikaans :) She brought her report card to show my sister. My sister then said "Maar jy praat mos goed Afrikaans. Ons moet van nou af net Afrikaans praat". The poor shy 9 year old giggled and hid her face in the couch pillow lol. Very cute. I was very surprised that the government schools in Gauteng still teaches Afrikaans.

Rocket Raccoon

Executive Member
seriously, indians speak afrikaans? never in my life have I heard an indian talk afrikaans. I've seen them in classes doing work but never do they actually speak it.
My uncle's wife is Indian and her whole family speaks Afrikaans.