Only one wife legally wed to Zuma?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&art_id=vn20100802044421408C225367

President Jacob Zuma may be legally married to only one of his three wives - Sizakele "MaKhumalo" Zuma.

Independent Newspapers has been trying to get answers from the Presidency on the legality of Zuma's marriages to Nompumelelo "MaNtuli" Zuma and Tobeka "MaMadiba" Zuma, but repeated telephone calls, emails and text messages have been met with silence.

The latest controversy involving the president and his wives stems from the Recognition of Customary Marriages Act.

It compels those in polygamous marriages to have court-approved pre-nuptial contracts.

This ensures that such marriages are recognised by law but is also a protection for those already married to men who want to take on more wives.

No proof could be found of whether the president had had such contracts drawn up, though investigations by The Mercury, sister newspaper of the Pretoria News, confirmed that Zuma's marriage to "MaKhumalo" in 1975, was registered with the Home Affairs Department as a customary marriage.

His subsequent marriages to "MaNtuli" and "MaMadiba" do not appear on the system and the department's computers list the two women as "single".

If they are found not to be legally married to the president, there could be ramifications as they both receive spousal benefits.

Earlier this year, Minister in the Presidency Collins Chabane disclosed that the spousal budget had been increased to R15.5m for this year, almost double the amount budgeted for during the tenure of former president Kgalema Motlanthe.

In addition, Zuma's wives are entitled to a range of benefits, allowances and support in projects they undertake.

Not only Zuma's but other polygamous customary unions could also be found to be invalid if the parties involved have no court-approved pre-nuptial contracts.

This is the effect of a ruling handed down in the North Gauteng High Court earlier this year - but which only became common knowledge when it was published in recent law reports.

Neither Zuma nor those who speak for him - his lawyer Michael Hulley, Chabane and the Presidency's media team "would comment on his situation, but research shows that few, if any, such contracts have been registered.

This effectively means that many women in customary unions could find themselves and their children in untenable financial situations should their husbands walk out on them, or die intestate.

The act states that all interested parties, including existing spouses, must be joined to the proceedings and each spouse must be given a certified copy of the contract.

Might seem like prying into the man's personal life... except that tax payers are footing the bill for all these wives and children. I like to know what I am paying for.

R13...

Honorary Master
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&art_id=vn20100802044421408C225367

Might seem like prying into the man's personal life... except that tax payers are footing the bill for all these wives and children. I like to know what I am paying for.

This will just cause the ANC to speed up that media tribunal and information bill. Those 2 things are nothing but a way to protect Zuma from the intense media attention he's getting especially related to his personal life and his general incompetence.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I can see that Media Tribunal getting bogged down in red tape and legal hassles for years, since it would be in clear violation of the constitution from the start. Meanwhile it is open season to report on all matters related to good governance.

Nod

Executive Member
Does anyone know for certain whether we pay for the president salary or president salary plus costs of extended family?

Earlier this year, Minister in the Presidency Collins Chabane disclosed that the spousal budget had been increased to R15.5m for this year, almost double the amount budgeted for during the tenure of former president Kgalema Motlanthe.

It seems we are.

R13...

Honorary Master
Damn that burns...
Being president Zuma probably never needs to touch his salary and will not have to in future either because he's now set for life courtesy of the tax payer. But being Zuma he probably has 10 girlfriends on the side and is always broke.

F

Fudzy

Being president Zuma probably never needs to touch his salary and will not have to in future either because he's now set for life courtesy of the tax payer. But being Zuma he probably has 10 girlfriends on the side and is always broke.

Some guys have all the luck :D

davemc

Executive Member
Why the heck is every damn thing that the government touches so overly complicated?
All he should need is a marriage certificate.
Pre-nuptial contract ???
Yea, I get it, to protect the first wife, from what exactly? She already has 50% of the man, and adding another wife should water down Zuma's 50%, not hers.

This is just silly.

JungleBoy

Executive Member
Why the heck is every damn thing that the government touches so overly complicated?
All he should need is a marriage certificate.
Pre-nuptial contract ???
Yea, I get it, to protect the first wife, from what exactly? She already has 50% of the man, and adding another wife should water down Zuma's 50%, not hers.
This is just silly.

The act states that all interested parties, including existing spouses, must be joined to the proceedings and each spouse must be given a certified copy of the contract.
That means there is one common contract for all all of them. Once you have more than 2 parties involved it sort of becomes impossible for anyone to walk away with 50% of anything, unless my maths is wack.
Beside, the first wife has to agree to the second marriage (in theory:D)

davemc

Executive Member
That means there is one common contract for all all of them. Once you have more than 2 parties involved it sort of becomes impossible for anyone to walk away with 50% of anything, unless my maths is wack.
Beside, the first wife has to agree to the second marriage (in theory:D)
[-]By law, the first wife does not have to agree to the second marriage.
You are assuming that there is one common contract for all, where do you get that from? Surely the first contract still stands, 100%.[/-]

EDIT: Nevermind, I failed to read properly.

Last edited: