Only two years after its launch, the mercedes x-class is leaving us

asshat99

They bought Rangers and Amaroks after they went to see the X class.
More like they looked at their bank balance, forgot that fantasy and carried on driving their families around in their commercial vehicles.

Craig

Honorary Master
Good riddance mercedes thought people were stupid
Yip, they must have seen the IQ that one moron always posts and thought they could get away with it locally. Sorry Mercedes, SA's are not that dumb.

You barely see this car on the road.

asshat99

Yip, they must have seen the IQ that one moron always posts and thought they could get away with it locally. Sorry Mercedes, SA's are not that dumb.

You barely see this car on the road.
It is not a question of intelligence. It is a matter of being too poor. Premium vehicles have a price premium - even if just for the badge. This is hardly a new concept.

The 'I-drive-my-family-around-to-WW-in-a-commercial-vehicle-and-have-an-office-job' demographic is hardly evolved anyway..

Last edited:

Craig

Honorary Master
It is not a question of intelligence. It is a matter of being too poor. Premium vehicles have a price premium - even if just for the badge. This is hardly a new concept.

The 'I-drive-my-family-around-to-WW-in-a-commercial-vehicle-and-have-an-office-job' demographic is hardly evolved anyway..
Premium vehicles usually have the substance to justify the premium, this POS was no better than even a hilux, never mind the ranger or the amarok. On looks alone I would choose the navara (the real one not the merc badged one) over the x-class.

asshat99

Premium vehicles usually have the substance to justify the premium, this POS was no better than even a hilux, never mind the ranger or the amarok.
That kind of premium is by perception. The audi a4, a3 and a1 cannot justify substance over a passat/jetta/golf/polo yet they are a sales success.

If budget was not a factor at all, would you r e a l l y take a hilux over an x-class? :rolleyes: based on looks lol. Or is that one of those little white lies we tell ourselves?

Craig

Honorary Master
That kind of premium is by perception. The audi a4, a3 and a1 cannot justify substance over a passat/jetta/golf/polo yet they are a sales success.

If budget was not a factor at all, would you r e a l l y take a hilux over an x-class? :rolleyes: based on looks lol. Or is that one of those little white lies we tell ourselves?
Well, I have a Passat, and a friend has an F30 3 series of (almost) the same vintage, he has less features than me but his car feels fancier than mine. With money not being an issue I would have his car over mine. X-class V6 vs Amarok V6 with money being no issue, I would rather have the Amarok.

asshat99

Well, I have a Passat, and a friend has an F30 3 series of (almost) the same vintage, he has less features than me but his car feels fancier than mine. With money not being an issue I would have his car over mine. X-class V6 vs Amarok V6 with money being no issue, I would rather have the Amarok.
So not the hilux based on looks then :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Seems you have a solid grasp of 'premium' after all.

Craig

Honorary Master
So not the hilux based on looks then :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Seems you have a solid grasp of 'premium' after all.
You are taking this discussion way too seriously. When did I say I would choose the hilux on looks? I said the X-class is no better than a hilux. I also said I would chose the Navara over the X-class on looks as it do think it looks nicer. I never said it's more premium. Go read the August issue of Carmag and look at the comparison they made between the X-class and the Amarok, they said the Amarok is a better car, and I agree.

R13...

Honorary Master
The X looked like a rip off of another bakkie. Only thing going for it would be the Merc interior and maybe power train.

asshat99

You are taking this discussion way too seriously. When did I say I would choose the hilux on looks? I said the X-class is no better than a hilux. I also said I would chose the Navara over the X-class on looks as it do think it looks nicer. I never said it's more premium. Go read the August issue of Carmag and look at the comparison they made between the X-class and the Amarok, they said the Amarok is a better car, and I agree.
You would r e a l l y take a hilux over this - budget not being a factor ? :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Again, looks are subjective. Don't try and make it about bakkie driver's intelligence.

Craig

Honorary Master
You would r e a l l y take a hilux over this - budget not being a factor ? :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Again, looks are subjective. Don't try and make it about bakkie driver's intelligence.
Arguing about this is silly, I can't even afford to buy the Hilux second hand. As it is I can't afford to get it free as that comes with cost as well. Not that it matters as I never said what you are saying I said.

asshat99

Arguing about this is silly, I can't even afford to buy the Hilux second hand. As it is I can't afford to get it free as that comes with cost as well. Not that it matters as I never said what you are saying I said.
so, a solid "no" then. Not about intelligence then. Thanks

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
The X class filled a gap in the market for a double cab with a proper luxury interior. The rest of them are pretty horrible really.
Too bad that the pricing was way too high.
I have seen quite a few around my area but I do have quite a few Merc execs that live here so it could just be company cars.

Jchan11hk

Well, I have seen a white one parked outside of the Merc dealership in Upington. Dont think the farmers there like it very much.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Two years already? I think I've seen only one in all that time so I'm not at all surprised.

I thought I was like six months.

FiestaST

Honorary Master

thechamp

Honorary Master
The X class filled a gap in the market for a double cab with a proper luxury interior. The rest of them are pretty horrible really.
Too bad that the pricing was way too high.
I have seen quite a few around my area but I do have quite a few Merc execs that live here so it could just be company cars.
Have you been inside one? It does not look that impressive from pictures, I would take the Amarok interior over that any day.